Navigating the Foods for Reintro

Nlstir

Quick question. I have received conflicting information and would love clarification. Some whole30 resources have said if your body isn't missing something and/or you don't eat it regularly, why introduce? But then on the same token, I understand we need to reintroduce to see what our body may be sensitive to. For example, I am not missing any legumes, nor do I really eat them. But then again, it would be helpful to know if my body doesn't like them. Do I still reintroduce? I also don't want my body to then crave things it wasn't before just by eating the food i.e. ice cream on dairy day or cheese. Help!

If you EVER see yourself eating an eliminated food, ever then definitely reintroduce - without another Whole30 you'll not have the opportunity to carry out this experiment again. In my opinion the reintroductions are the most important part. This is where you gleam the knowledge to put together your own food management plan - you may tolerate a food physically, but how about mentally? Will gluten make you angry? Apathetic? Will dairy disrupt your sleep? Will sugar ignite your dragon? Without trying you'll never know until you find yourself back here again - as is very often the case in those who think they'll eat this way forever..... 

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

If you EVER see yourself eating an eliminated food, ever then definitely reintroduce - without another Whole30 you'll not have the opportunity to carry out this experiment again. In my opinion the reintroductions are the most important part. This is where you gleam the knowledge to put together your own food management plan - you may tolerate a food physically, but how about mentally? Will gluten make you angry? Apathetic? Will dairy disrupt your sleep? Will sugar ignite your dragon? Without trying you'll never know until you find yourself back here again - as is very often the case in those who think they'll eat this way forever..... 

thank you. I am absolutely doing the reintro, I was more just wondering if you think I run into the danger of having cravings again. I guess I am thinking more of peanut butter and cheese - two things I have gotten accustomed to not eating and not missed. Obviously it is then important that I do reintro them because I do plan on eating them again I'm sure, but do I run into danger that they'll bring me back cravings? 

1 hour ago, Nlstir said:

peanut butter and cheese

1 hour ago, Nlstir said:

do I run into danger that they'll bring me back cravings? 

Yes you run the risk. Cheese in particular is highly addictive and probably one of the most difficult foods to abstain from.

However, peanuts are highly inflammatory & allergenic, diary can be problematic to the gut & to the respiratory system, and if you enjoy them don't you think it would be good to know what implications they might have to your health so that you can decide if eating either is worth it?

I came here from a very different starting point to most people, in that the only new foods I excluded during the 30 days were sugar, (v occasional) oats, diary & alcohol having been on a long journey of food trials in previous years to determine what did & what didn't work for me. Before I'd even started my 30 days I knew that those groups I'd already eliminated would not be making a comeback in my diet post Whole30, by choice - some I don't tolerate well, others I choose from a health/nutritional stand point not to consume. 

Even though I felt better without sugar, oats, dairy & alcohol I chose to (slow roll) reintro all of them because, well, life - sometimes you have to eat out, sometimes you've no real control over your food, sometimes you just want the damned ice cream/cheese on your [bun free] burger/prosecco&strawberries - sometimes you have to live a little... I don't consume sugar, oats, dairy or alcohol on a daily/regular basis, but I'm perfectly prepared for what happens when I do.

Do I crave them? Never when I'm eating template meals.

How about all that stuff I didn't reintroduce? Nope, I don't miss/crave any of it - although the smell of warm toast still makes my mouth water.... But even after discussing the prospect of starting to make my own sourdough & actually buying the flour to make the starter it's still sitting in the cupboard, untouched, some 8wks later.

That's my food freedom.

56 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Yes you run the risk. Cheese in particular is highly addictive and probably one of the most difficult foods to abstain from.

However, peanuts are highly inflammatory & allergenic, diary can be problematic to the gut & to the respiratory system, and if you enjoy them don't you think it would be good to know what implications they might have to your health so that you can decide if eating either is worth it?

I came here from a very different starting point to most people, in that the only new foods I excluded during the 30 days were sugar, (v occasional) oats, diary & alcohol having been on a long journey of food trials in previous years to determine what did & what didn't work for me. Before I'd even started my 30 days I knew that those groups I'd already eliminated would not be making a comeback in my diet post Whole30, by choice - some I don't tolerate well, others I choose from a health/nutritional stand point not to consume. 

Even though I felt better without sugar, oats, dairy & alcohol I chose to (slow roll) reintro all of them because, well, life - sometimes you have to eat out, sometimes you've no real control over your food, sometimes you just want the damned ice cream/cheese on your [bun free] burger/prosecco&strawberries - sometimes you have to live a little... I don't consume sugar, oats, dairy or alcohol on a daily/regular basis, but I'm perfectly prepared for what happens when I do.

Do I crave them? Never when I'm eating template meals.

How about all that stuff I didn't reintroduce? Nope, I don't miss/crave any of it - although the smell of warm toast still makes my mouth water.... But even after discussing the prospect of starting to make my own sourdough & actually buying the flour to make the starter it's still sitting in the cupboard, untouched, some 8wks later.

That's my food freedom.

okay, this is so helpful. so it sounds like I SHOULD introduce everything as is suggested, see how I feel, just so i can learn. because you're right, who is to say even if you CHOOSE not to eat something, you can't always have complete control. and similar to you, I know there are certain things I won't add back in. For the most part, I ate paleo for 2 years before doing this, but where I would "fall off" would be allowing myself to indulge when going out to eat. So now I am feeling super back on track and excited to continue this lifestyle with several foods completely eliminated. But it sounds like I should reintroduce everything as suggested, just to understand any effect it may have. Then after then, I can choose to never eat it again (maybe because of health or because I don't want to fall victim to cravings) or as you said I will just be perfectly prepared for what I'll feel if I do eat them. Am I understanding this correctly?

On 4/5/2017 at 10:18 AM, MeadowLily said:

Here's a video by Melissa.  Why it's important to do a Reintro and why you shouldn't be afraid to do a Reintro and she answers all of your questions.

Does anyone know if she's worked with people to create any new materials regarding the sugar addiction piece she mentions around minute 22/23? Addressing how to find a balance with sugar?

Just now, emilyelowe said:

Does anyone know if she's worked with people to create any new materials regarding the sugar addiction piece she mentions around minute 22/23? Addressing how to find a balance with sugar?

Have you read FFF, Food Freedom Forever, she goes into great detail, giving many, many ideas and instructions how to find a balance with sugar.  An entire book answering all of your questions how to find balance with sugar.

I believe she's mastered it well. 

Archived