ldmcnielwhole30log

ldmcniel

Day 1: roller coaster

I didn't prep food ahead of time so I was soooo hangry by the time I ate my breakfast. But it was delicious! Spinach/tomato/onion frittata with avocado on top and apple on the side. And it held me over wayyyy longer than my normal McDonalds. But then I came home to make lunch and between my toddler needing a nap, realizing my canned chicken had starch in it, and not yet having caffeine, I was just done. I finally got around to eating my protein salad over spinach and a banana around 3:45. I tried SO HARD to drink coffee with coconut milk. It was just so gross. And my other vice is Diet Coke which is obviously out sooooo cue the caffeine migraine. I started making dinner about an hour or so later, and it was really good too. Tomato sauce with ground beef and a side of roasted sweet potatoes. But I feel like I spent most of my day in the kitchen. And to be honest cooking is not my favorite. So I need to really start doing some prep while I'm making meals so I don't have to cook all the time. 

Summary: tired, sluggish, hazy, killer caffeine migraine

Day 2: better than day 1

i slept better than I have in a long time. Food was easier today as I had leftovers from yesterday. 

B: leftover spinach frittata with leftover tomato sauce and avocado and blueberries. I couldn't finish it. 

L: tomato sauce on top of spinach with blueberries. This was not enough food. 

S: protein salad with roasted sweet potato on top of spinach

D: chicken, roasted potatoes, and green cabbage slaw. I'll probably make the slaw with mayo next time. 

I'm very tired today and kind of snippy. But I haven't had any intense cravings or anything. I did notice that my first instinct when I'm driving is to go get a Diet Coke, and at night I want something sweet because that's my 'me time.' So I need to make sure I have water in the car all the time and to find a no food treat at night. I did get another headache, but ibuprofen took care of it pretty quickly. 

Day 3: no energy AT ALL

i woke up feeling great because I slept great. But then I got out of bed. I realized I had absolutely no energy to do anything at all. I HAD to pick a few things up at the store though, which was awful because when I'm tired I want all the caffeine and all the goodies. But I managed and stayed compliant. I did snack more than usual because of poor planning and just being hungry and craving stuff all day. I got a headache again, but each day it's later in the day. 

B: leftover chicken and roasted potatoes with a fried egg on top. This apparently wasn't enough food. 

L: the rest of the chicken and potatoes 

S: two closed handfuls of cashews (meant to hold me over until I got home)

S: last of the frittata with tomato sauce on top

D: Mexican tuna on top of spinach with a bit of basic mayo - so easy, really good, definitely making again

ive been fine since dinner. Just very tired and still have a headache. I think I'm going to take some ibuprofen and go to bed early. Oh I've also been extremely thirsty, but I read in the book that it's normal at the beginning. 

NSV: I noticed my knee isn't hurting today, and my hips aren't bothering me tonight either!

I've replied to you on the group thread, but just looking at your log, so some questions...

Are you salting your food?

How much water are you drinking?

How many eggs are in your portion of frittata?

How much protein are you eating in each meal as it relates to the palm of your hand? Was there protein in your lunch on day 2?

Are you adding fat to every meal over and above what you're using to cook with?

Where are you in your cycle?

@jmcbnI was just about to reply on the thread! I'm glad I saw this. 

I cook with salt, but I don't normally add it. I'm not a huge fan. I haven't been monitoring my water intake. I just drink to thirst, but today I have been insanely thirsty. I ate half the frittata, so 3. I've been eyeballing my protein, and I'm getting at least one palm full, and yes the tomato sauce has ground beef in it. I just didn't bring enough with me. I am trying to add fat to every meal, but I may not be adding enough. I have no idea where I am in my cycle because I breastfeed my 13 month old, and I've only had two postpartum periods that were 3 months apart. 

The first two days I felt full after eating. Today it was just this constant need to eat. I'm not even sure if i was really hungry or if I'm just so used to eating high sugar foods... I have definitely been having cravings today that I didn't have the first two days. 

1 hour ago, ldmcniel said:

I breastfeed my 13 month old

And there we have it!

You should be eating x4 meals a day, or three and a decent snack or two (ie. not a handful of nuts, more like a mini meal).

Your water needs will also be higher than the recommendation - BFing women are always recommended to drink more fluids anyways, and the same applies here, so MORE THAN half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

You might also want to sip on some coconut milk throughout the day - this should help keep up your energy levels.

Otherwise you seem to be getting enough starchy veg, but just pay attention to the fats - this is what will keep you sane (and will prevent cravings, help you feel fuller for longer etc etc etc)!!

Hope this helps!

Day 4: still lacking energy & trying to figure out my hunger cues...

I didn't get quite enough sleep and breakfast took a while, so I was pretty tired this morning. I'm going to work on getting some breakfast prepped for each week so that gets a bit easier. I went to a friend's house to do laundry so I packed food for my daughter and me. I always underestimate how much we both will eat and even more so now that I'm doing the whole30. So I need to work on that. I kept feeling "hungry," but I don't think I actually was. Maybe I was thirsty or bored or something else. I'm not sure. I definitely increased my water intake today. 

B: HALF of 8 scrambled eggs with 2 bell peppers & 1 yellow onion

+1 avocado on top

L: Mexican tuna on top of spinach (tuna had avocado in it but probably not enough) then half of my leftover breakfast because I was still hungry

S: the rest of my leftover breakfast on top of spinach with basic mayo

D: steak, red potatoes, 1 avocado

edit: my hips are KILLING me today. 

B: 4 fried eggs on top of sautéed bell pepper and 1/2 onion on top of last of the tomato sauce with ground beef and a small baked potato + 1 banana

L: last of egg salad with spinach and some leftover green cabbage slaw and canned tomatoes with green chilies with EVOO drizzled on top for some extra fat

using up all my leftovers and going grocery shopping today! The rest of this entry to be finished tonight!

No snack today. I didn't need it. I definitely didn't drink enough water though because I was out and about all day. I need to go get a 30oz cup that I can keep with me. 

Dinner: weirdest. meal. ever. 

I was super hungry by the time I got home from grocery shopping. I had the intention of making a quick tuna salad, but then my avocados weren't ripe enough to really peel much less mash. So then I got flustered and just threw everything in I though of. So I had a tuna, avocado, potato, and lime salad/mash/thing. To be honest it wasn't terrible, but I won't be making it again. 

Note: I woke up this morning feeling like my blood sugar had crashed and continued to feel that way well past breakfast. @jmcbn could that have something to do with the food I ate yesterday? Or is it just my body adjusting to my new diet?

12 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

Note: I woke up this morning feeling like my blood sugar had crashed and continued to feel that way well past breakfast. @jmcbn could that have something to do with the food I ate yesterday? Or is it just my body adjusting to my new diet?

I'd take that as an indicator that you need more protein & fat - both provide a good, slow & steady release of energy so make sure you're getting enough of both throughout the day.

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

I'd take that as an indicator that you need more protein & fat - both provide a good, slow & steady release of energy so make sure you're getting enough of both throughout the day.

Okay thanks! I definitely increased my intake yesterday and feel fine this morning. 

Day 6: best day so far

i can feel my energy leveling out, so I don't feel like I need caffeine or anything else to keep me going. I feel like I'm finally getting the meal sizes and portions down. Tomorrow is prep day for the week's breakfast and sauces, maybe some chopped veggies. 

B: HALF of 8 egg scramble with 1 onion, 2 bell peppers, 2 Roma tomatoes

+1.5 VERY small avocados on top & a handful of grapes on the side

L: same as above but with 1 avocado and a banana

D: chicken cooked in EVOO with guacamole on top and green beans on the side

NSV: I didn't get tired while driving today, and my knee hasn't hurt at all this week. My knee started hurting a couple months ago out of the blue and was steadily getting worse. Now there's no pain!

Day 7: 1 week down!!

I didn't get enough fat today, and I could feel it... but I'm so excited to be entering my second week! I'm feeling confident, even if I had a rough day today. 

B: half of a very large sweet potato and sautéed bell pepper & Roma tomato with 4 fried eggs on top. 

---I should have added avocado. I was hungry by 12, and I ate around 10. 

I took communion at church and chose the gluten free option, but I could tell it was made with rice. 

L: lettuce burger with guacamole, avocado, and tomato with a side of steamed broccoli (at Red Robin)

I was still hungry after eating this, but I didn't have any emergency food with me. 

I survived grocery shopping with my husband while hungry. WE SAW THIN MINT CEREAL. :( Very real tears welled up in my eyes.  no joke.

I got home and immediately made a snack. 

S: handful of spinach with some leftover slaw and a fried egg on top and half a banana

D: garlic lime chicken with roasted broccoli, 1 red potato, and a handful of grapes +extra EVOO drizzled on the main food for a bit more fat

Because I didn't get enough fat today, I was hungry and tired most of the day. It sucked. Eating out was difficult too. I need to get something more substantial next time. I'm still feeling a bit of the kill all the things. But I get like that when I'm hungry, period. It would be so awesome if that changes as my body becomes more fat adapted. 

16 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

NOTE TO SELF: don't buy nuts unless it's for very specific recipes in specific amounts...otherwise you just eat them all. :rolleyes:

I know this feeling all too well! :unsure:

This is what I posted on the May 1 start thread:

Today kinda sucked. I stayed compliant, though it actually occurred to me to just have a junk food day and start over tomorrow. I've just been sad and bleh all day. I honestly feel like I'm mourning...my old food? Is that weird? I don't want to feel the way I felt every day again. But I miss the ease and the comfort that came with eating cookies or ice cream or whatever every day. Now I have to really think about my meals, and it's HARD. Even though I stayed compliant, I definitely didn't follow all the recommendations. I ended up snacking just to snack, just to mindlessly eat. And even though it was just pecans and grapes, it's still not psychologically good for me you know? The connection my brain makes between food and comfort is glaringly obvious today. i thought of something to keep me going though. When I first started breastfeeding my daughter we had a TON of issues, and I was in so much pain. Someone told me, "never quit on a bad day." So I didn't, and now we're still nursing almost 14 months later. So if I can deal with the horror that was the first 3 months of nursing my daughter, then I can absolutely do this for 3 more weeks to change my life. Here's to a better day tomorrow. 

B: Fried eggs on top of a spinach and slaw salad with extra coconut oil for some fat

L: cauliflower rice with coconut oil with fried eggs

(I'm kind of getting sick of eggs)

D: not hungry because I snacked so much... :/

Hey there - chin up - have you seen the timeline? You're approaching the hardest days, when most people quit.

BFing IS hard - been there, done that, with a premmie baby in a special care unit!!

*This* is what we refer to around my parts as 'wee buns' by comparison.... Hang tight!

I read the timeline before I started, but I looked at it again this morning when I saw your reply, and it's totally different to read it when you're in the middle of it. Thanks for the reminder. I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm feeling a lot better this morning. :)

Much better day today. I was able to handle the hurdles thrown my much easier, which included a toddler knocking 75% of my lunch on the floor and then me forgetting to cook the ground turkey for dinner when I was ready to eat two hours before... it was a busy day, but I did really well, and I feel ready for tomorrow. 

B: scrambled eggs with a pepper and half an onion with tessemae ranch

S: tuna salad (tuna and ranch) and spinach - this was supposed to be lunch but it fell victim to a toddler

L: same as above, just more of it

D: roasted spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, ground turkey + banana & almond butter

B: breakfast casserole (eggs, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, ground turkey) & ranch - need to eat a bigger portion tomorrow to stay full longer and hopefully an avocado if they're ripe

L: spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, two burger patties

S: banana with almond butter (I wish I had something better, but it was the most immediate thing to get me to dinner)

D: pork chops, applesauce, green beans

good day today. Very tired because of trying to get my toddler into her own bed last night. Felt a little weak during a walk today. Lots of yummy food. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Have you tried making mayo?  I find that mayo with my meals really helps me stay full (more so than avocado, coconut milk).  If you have a stick blender its super easy and then its always around to plop on your meals (and then instead of a banana with almond butter you can have a hard boiled egg, piece of meat, etc with a big blob of fat on there!)

And I totally hear you on that impossible newborn stuff... at 4 weeks I honestly thought I'd never make it.  The next time I have one of those tough moments (read: about to make a poor choice because I "must") I'm going to try reminding myself about making it through the first 3 months too!

Day 11: I have more energy now, which is awesome. Many aches and pains are gone. That's the main thing that brought me to the whole30, my aches and pains. My body shouldn't hurt the way it does, and I'm so excited to see it healing itself. I've been thinking about my reintroduction. I'm thinking about fully avoiding sweeteners unless it's a really special occasion. So I'd like to do my whole reintroduction with no sweeteners and see how other foods affect me before I introduce them... I also would like to separate types of dairy a bit because I'm pretty sure I'm sensitive to dairy, but I'm not sure if it's all dairy or just some or just because it gets combined with other foods  

B: breakfast casserole with a disappointingly under ripe avocado

L: canned salmon with basic mayo and a small bowl of grapes

S: cashews & Lara bar (some of this was hunger, some of it was that I was at the movie theatre)

D: canned salmon with basic mayo & spaghetti squash (this was disappointing. The flavors didn't mesh. I didn't finish it.)

Day 12: exhausted because toddler didn't sleep well

B: casserole with leftover spaghetti sauce

L: avocobbo salad from Red Robin - no bleu cheese, no bacon, no dressing. Extra guacamole instead. Should have gotten double meat. 

D: canned salmon, basic mayo, riced cauliflower and sweet potatoes

B: casserole with basic mayo

L: pork chop with pan fried potatoes 

D: chicken and asparagus with tessemae ranch

im finding that my routine is kind of off now that I'm settling into my whole30. Because I'm cooking and prepping so much my normal daily stuff has kind of fallen to the side lately. I think that will be my focus this week: maintaining my home while adding in my whole30 prep and routine. 

Archived