Start Date June 26th

Happy Oiler Lisa

6 hours ago, aussiegal said:

@CookyMagoo can you say more about "how much and what kinds" of veges you are eating?  And any tips to minimize bloating??

And @chicagobirdie I'm wondering if what I'm eating now is causing bloating as well or if it will settle cos I'm only on day 6.  

And what kinds of veges cause disturbances in the gut - is that the cabbage, broc, cauliflower thing?

Also I've heard digestive enzymes are useful - has anyone tried these at all? 

Today for me is: 

M1  beef and veg soup

M2  zucchini noodles and pasta sauce with some steamed sweet potato with ghee and s&p on the side

M3   fish and salad. Salad is lettuce, cabbage, carrot, celery, onion, cucumber and tomato with with "dump ranch" dressing (from W30 cookbook).  Fish fried in ghee and oil with lemon. 

hope everyone is travelling well! 

So if you are not getting enough fat with your veg, no matter what they are. Bloat can be caused as much from a sweet potato as a cabbage. A CUP of a cooked/wilted/mashed/sauteed vegetable, measured post cooking not pre X 2(variety) or even 3 is your best bet for balance. I include a tsp of added fat with every cup of veg I eat in every meal. I stay away from starchy veg by subbing in more fat (ghee, lard, tallow, pastured uncured bacon drippings, etc.). You need to build your own enzymes in your gut. Chew your food thoroughly, it makes a lot of difference down the pipe. There is a big difference between a person with FODMAPS issues and someone who has been eating poorly and is now trying to correct that. There are going to be adjustments, mostly in the first 21 days. Ride it out, hang in there and you will see the results.

THIS is NOT a quick fix, This is my 2nd year on Whole 30. I have corrected my nutritional deficiencies, blood numbers, and body composition, even though I have only lost 28 lbs. The non-scale victories are the biggest benefits and by continuing with them I can come back from free wheeling and off roading in a matter of days instead of weeks. I look for reasons to stay with it instead of excuses to stop, because it's ONLY 30 DAYS! and it will change your life.

Hope this helped,

Magoo

"With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage."   Hippocrates

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/2/2017 at 0:26 PM, nicky05 said:

Happy Day 7, everyone! 

How are we all feeling? 

I'm ravenous (because, hormones) and a little run down. I've also decided I hate the taste of eggs cooked in coconut oil. 

Best eggs are in pastured LARD, just like in the old days. I slow simmer 3 eggs in 2 Tbsp of lard on a low burner. Shut it off and cover it for 3 min. uncover and let it cool for 10 min while I heat my veggies and small meat portion. when they come together in the cooling process, magic happens and taste, mouth feel and everything is right with the world. Who the hell needs bread. Slide those puppies over your veg and break those yolks with salt and pepper.....what scone?....what muffin?  life changing

Magoo

"With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage."   Hippocrates

1 hour ago, CookyMagoo said:

So if you are not getting enough fat with your veg, no matter what they are. Bloat can be caused as much from a sweet potato as a cabbage. A CUP of a cooked/wilted/mashed/sauteed vegetable, measured post cooking not pre X 2(variety) or even 3 is your best bet for balance. I include a tsp of added fat with every cup of veg I eat in every meal. I stay away from starchy veg by subbing in more fat (ghee, lard, tallow, pastured uncured bacon drippings, etc.). You need to build your own enzymes in your gut. Chew your food thoroughly, it makes a lot of difference down the pipe. There is a big difference between a person with FODMAPS issues and someone who has been eating poorly and is now trying to correct that. There are going to be adjustments, mostly in the first 21 days. Ride it out, hang in there and you will see the results.

THIS is NOT a quick fix, This is my 2nd year on Whole 30. I have corrected my nutritional deficiencies, blood numbers, and body composition, even though I have only lost 28 lbs. The non-scale victories are the biggest benefits and by continuing with them I can come back from free wheeling and off roading in a matter of days instead of weeks. I look for reasons to stay with it instead of excuses to stop, because it's ONLY 30 DAYS! and it will change your life.

Hope this helped,

Magoo

Thanks Magoo!  That is a big help!  I'll give it the 21 days (roughly) and I just started adding a fistful of sweet potato at the midday meal and I'm not sure that's for me. I'll play around a bit.  Definitely recheck my veg and fat portions.  I like the simplicity of just adding a tsp of fat to a cup of veg too!  Thanks mate.

cheers 

6 minutes ago, aussiegal said:

Thanks Magoo!  That is a big help!  I'll give it the 21 days (roughly) and I just started adding a fistful of sweet potato at the midday meal and I'm not sure that's for me. I'll play around a bit.  Definitely recheck my veg and fat portions.  I like the simplicity of just adding a tsp of fat to a cup of veg too!  Thanks mate.

cheers 

Good on ya! Quality tucker is a valuable thing.:)

I survived two 4th of July events: Tiki Christmas party on 3rd and BBQ on 4th

Yesterday I really noticed had I not been doing W30, I would have been grazing over all the chips and dips just because I was standing by the table. I never realized how much mindless eating I used to do after a few drinks...being stone cold sober at a BBQ really made me have a huge AHA moment. Feels pretty awesome recognizing that, FINALLY.

One of my friends had made some special 'summer beer' concoction: beer, lemonade, and vodka. 'Take one, you'll love it'. I was firm with the no..when I said 'If I have a sip of that I have to start over again tomorrow..I am 14 days in, I have no desire to start over b/c of a sip of booze. Next time'

At the event Monday night, an acquaintance had made 'boozy milkshakes'. She was handing them out as we took our numbers for the white elephant gift exchange. I took it, but put it down by me b/c there was no way I was gonna try and explain that I wasn't drinking to someone that was three sheets to the wind. I have to say being the only sober one at the two events was quite surreal, and really entertaining.

I have left over grilled chicken breasts from the BBQ that will be part of my next few meals, excited about that. LOL

Going into this process I couldn't understand how anyone could get sick of eggs for breakfast...today was a different story and I am only on day 10! I literally gagged as I tried to eat my full breakfast (granted I was in a rush which does not help). Without the bread or wrap that I am used to, a plate full of eggs and veggies is getting to be a challenge to eat in the morning. I think I will go back to my egg muffins and add a side of meat, that form/texture seams to be the most palatable, my only concern was that with two muffins I am not getting enough protein.

Is anyone else who is having a tough time with breakfast able to stomach a lunch style meal in the morning? Maybe the chicken hash?

M1: 4 eggs with chopped spinach, sweet potato hash, and apple with almond butter

I'm dragging and hungry, but trying to get myself back to three meals so I am pushing through to lunch.

55 minutes ago, H-Ball said:

Is anyone else who is having a tough time with breakfast able to stomach a lunch style meal in the morning? Maybe the chicken hash?

That chicken hash is really freaking good for breakfast.

Uggggh. I feel yucky today. My stomach hurts, my back hurts now. I just feel like I've been hit by a truck.  I was definitely not expecting this on day 10 and I don't know what to attribute it to. 

I hope everyone is feeling better than me. Is it weird I want to go back to day 5? LOL

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, nicky05 said:

Uggggh. I feel yucky today. My stomach hurts, my back hurts now. I just feel like I've been hit by a truck.  I was definitely not expecting this on day 10 and I don't know what to attribute it to. 

I hope everyone is feeling better than me. Is it weird I want to go back to day 5? LOL

Shoot, that stinks!

Have you been drinking your full amount of water? Salting your food?  All three meals AND pre or post workout meals as applicable?  Eaten anything in excess that you don't normally eat?  Possible that you have a mild bug?  Early to bed tonight might help?

6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Shoot, that stinks!

Have you been drinking your full amount of water? Salting your food?  All three meals AND pre or post workout meals as applicable?  Eaten anything in excess that you don't normally eat?  Possible that you have a mild bug?  Early to bed tonight might help?

I definitely did not get my full amount of water today. Trying to make up for it now. All three meals yes and I haven't been doing pre/post workouts because my workouts are pretty low intensity and I really don't feel the need for it. 

I can't think of anything I've eaten in excess. I also definitely need more sleep. It's just hitting me so hard today. 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, nicky05 said:

I definitely did not get my full amount of water today. Trying to make up for it now. All three meals yes and I haven't been doing pre/post workouts because my workouts are pretty low intensity and I really don't feel the need for it. 

I can't think of anything I've eaten in excess. I also definitely need more sleep. It's just hitting me so hard today. 

Just be kind to yourself... rest during the Whole30 is just as important as the three meals a day etc... Try some ginger tea or bone broth for your stomach and get some water and rest and hopefully you feel better tomorrow!

11 hours ago, H-Ball said:

Going into this process I couldn't understand how anyone could get sick of eggs for breakfast...today was a different story and I am only on day 10! I literally gagged as I tried to eat my full breakfast (granted I was in a rush which does not help). Without the bread or wrap that I am used to, a plate full of eggs and veggies is getting to be a challenge to eat in the morning. I think I will go back to my egg muffins and add a side of meat, that form/texture seams to be the most palatable, my only concern was that with two muffins I am not getting enough protein.

M1: 4 eggs with chopped spinach, sweet potato hash, and apple with almond butter

I'm dragging and hungry, but trying to get myself back to three meals so I am pushing through to lunch.

H-Ball,

You can have anything compliant for breakfast. I like to alternate one egg and veg day with a meat and veg day. Pork butt shoulder chops are excellent for breakfast. I take one, dry it off with paper towel and season thoroughly with Him. sea salt and fresh ground pepper(sometimes a little chipotle powder) and leave in the fridge overnight uncovered. I also like to take a firm fish fillet (cod, haddock, pollock or fresh salmon) and liberally salt and leave uncovered on a plate in the fridge overnight. Next morning, fry in lard or ghee and put over a veg of choice. I try to only do eggs 3-4 times a week. 

Also, add your fat directly to the eggs. Cocnot milk fat is excellent for this as well as EVOO and/or avocado oil. helps take the squeak out of the cooked eggs. I also add a Tbsp of water per egg to help fluff up in scrambled or omelette, with the vegeg mixed in before they hit the very hot fatty pan. Ahhhh

Magoo

"A man can't change his destiny,  a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."    Algren

Good morning,

Day 11, tiger blood hit me yesterday. This is the earliest I've had it in all my attempts. I have only changed one thing this go around. Sweet and regular potatoes only 3 times a week and only at breakfast and lunches. I was able to start waking up at 5 AM on day 5 and now Tiger Blood day 10. I have also upped my fat to 65 % of total caloric intake. So far so good. 

20 days remaining, plus the rest of your life so lets go!

Magoo

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

10 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

H-Ball,

You can have anything compliant for breakfast. I like to alternate one egg and veg day with a meat and veg day. Pork butt shoulder chops are excellent for breakfast. I take one, dry it off with paper towel and season thoroughly with Him. sea salt and fresh ground pepper(sometimes a little chipotle powder) and leave in the fridge overnight uncovered. I also like to take a firm fish fillet (cod, haddock, pollock or fresh salmon) and liberally salt and leave uncovered on a plate in the fridge overnight. Next morning, fry in lard or ghee and put over a veg of choice. I try to only do eggs 3-4 times a week. 

Also, add your fat directly to the eggs. Cocnot milk fat is excellent for this as well as EVOO and/or avocado oil. helps take the squeak out of the cooked eggs. I also add a Tbsp of water per egg to help fluff up in scrambled or omelette, with the vegeg mixed in before they hit the very hot fatty pan. Ahhhh

Magoo

"A man can't change his destiny,  a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."    Algren

Thanks Magoo! I will try to change things up. Congrats on tiger blood!

I'm feeling ok on day 11, no tiger blood yet, but I hope I'm hitting a tipping point. I think the change in sleep patterns over the long weekend threw me off a bit because I am having a very hard time getting to sleep and wake up feeling exhausted. I bike commuted to work today (8 miles~35 mins) so that's usually a good wake up. I'm curious to see how it impacts my hunger throughout the day. I am in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store so my breakfast was whatever I could throw together.

Day 11 is almost over! Hooray! How is everyone doing? 

My today was much better than yesterday. I still woke up a bit tired/groggy, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I think my seasonal allergies are partly to blame. 

M1: 3 eggs + veggies scramble on a bed of mixed greens with guacamole. 

M2: Melissa's chicken hash 

M3: Taco salad with ground turkey and avocado dressing. 

I drank a lot more water today so I think that helped as well. I also went to the butcher right by my apartment that I'd been meaning to try and bought some grass fed beef to make spaghetti sauce. I know most people have food dreams but last night I dreamt I weighed myself "by accident" and I'd gained 10lbs. Needless to say, it was quite traumatic and I woke up feeling pretty devastated until I realized. 

9 hours ago, H-Ball said:

Thanks Magoo! I will try to change things up. Congrats on tiger blood!

I'm feeling ok on day 11, no tiger blood yet, but I hope I'm hitting a tipping point. I think the change in sleep patterns over the long weekend threw me off a bit because I am having a very hard time getting to sleep and wake up feeling exhausted. I bike commuted to work today (8 miles~35 mins) so that's usually a good wake up. I'm curious to see how it impacts my hunger throughout the day. I am in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store so my breakfast was whatever I could throw together.

H-Ball,

I find that once the glycogen is gone after the first 7 days of this, then the impact of exercise is more on fat consumption(adipose tissue) then need for extra food. That why they ask you to fat up before or shortly after a workout, to remind the body of it's primary source and train the brain to use tris and ketones instead of glucose. All good, stay in there.

Magoo

48 minutes ago, nicky05 said:

Day 11 is almost over! Hooray! How is everyone doing? 

My today was much better than yesterday. I still woke up a bit tired/groggy, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I think my seasonal allergies are partly to blame. 

M1: 3 eggs + veggies scramtble on a bed of mixed greens with guacamole. 

M2: Melissa's chicken hash 

M3: Taco salad with ground turkey and avocado dressing. 

I drank a lot more water today so I think that helped as well. I also went to the butcher right by my apartment that I'd been meaning to try and bought some grass fed beef to make spaghetti sauce. I know most people have food dreams but last night I dreamt I weighed myself "by accident" and I'd gained 10lbs. Needless to say, it was quite traumatic and I woke up feeling pretty devastated until I realized. 

Nicky,

Funny you should mention that, my first Whole30 I gained 7#, but I was down 4 inches in my waist and 2 in my neck. I was doing so mush extra exercise and meat, that I built up my thighs and biceps and gained all that weight. Body composition is more important than weight and that is why they ask you to forgo the scale. The visceral fat that you lose on this plan will be of soooo much benefit to your metabolism than the scale will not even matter. 

Magoo

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CookyMagoo said:

H-Ball,

I find that once the glycogen is gone after the first 7 days of this, then the impact of exercise is more on fat consumption(adipose tissue) then need for extra food. That why they ask you to fat up before or shortly after a workout, to remind the body of it's primary source and train the brain to use tris and ketones instead of glucose. All good, stay in there.

Magoo

just to clarify, we never suggest people fat up after their workout... lean protein and starchy carb... fat slows down protein absorption which is the opposite of the effect we want :)

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

just to clarify, we never suggest people fat up after their workout... lean protein and starchy carb... fat slows down protein absorption which is the opposite of the effect we want :)

@SugarcubeOD    Sorry, it was my impression that in order to reduce glycogen and maintain continuous fat burning, you could do one before or after. Apologies if I am getting this wrong, but it has worked for me consistently. I think that I have done so many rounds of keto, that my adaption level is pretty high and I always go for fatty cuts and added grams when ever I eat or snack. Thank you for the clarification though.

Magoo

PS, are you a Doctor of Optometry? 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, CookyMagoo said:

@SugarcubeOD    Sorry, it was my impression that in order to reduce glycogen and maintain continuous fat burning, you could do one before or after. Apologies if I am getting this wrong, but it has worked for me consistently. I think that I have done so many rounds of keto, that my adaption level is pretty high and I always go for fatty cuts and added grams when ever I eat or snack. Thank you for the clarification though.

Magoo

PS, are you a Doctor of Optometry? 

No problem and if that works for you, then perfect but we have to try and make sure all the recommendations are in line with the program :)

A Doctor of Optometry?  Nope, why?

Anyone finding they're really feeling their workouts these days? Mine are low intensity, various types of yoga for the most part. For the first time in a long time my muscles are quite stiff after a workout. I wonder if it's something physiological or maybe just the fact that I have more energy to give to my workouts so I'm pushing myself more. 

11 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Anyone finding they're really feeling their workouts these days? Mine are low intensity, various types of yoga for the most part. For the first time in a long time my muscles are quite stiff after a workout. I wonder if it's something physiological or maybe just the fact that I have more energy to give to my workouts so I'm pushing myself more. 

Salt and magnesium powder helps with this and headaches. They also stave off cramps and keep things moving in the bowels. Salt it up plus a couple tsp in water or off the hand. 

It's funny that in Islam, all meals are started with a small amount of salt in the hand, licked off with the tongue and the remainder thrown over the right shoulder. This is done before even the blessing is said. This custom evolved from the fact that fasting in the dessert can be tough on the salt supply in the body because of sweating. It's very important to maintain your electrolyte balance when shedding sodium and drinking large amounts of water. 2500-3000 mg is a good daily amount the first 2 weeks of Wh30.

Magoo

"A man can't change his destiny.  a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed." Algren

The dreams started last night. I was so mad in them b/c I was going to have to restart b/c I ate a pizza slice, or a dang donut...then I woke up, wheeeew. 

I've been sleeping through the night and waking up well before my alarm, rested... very happy about this. Looking forward to trying some new dishes for breakfast over the weekend...or maybe making enough at dinner that I have leftovers for breakfast. We shall see. So happy it's Friday.

9 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

Salt and magnesium powder helps with this and headaches. They also stave off cramps and keep things moving in the bowels. Salt it up plus a couple tsp in water or off the hand. 

It's funny that in Islam, all meals are started with a small amount of salt in the hand, licked off with the tongue and the remainder thrown over the right shoulder. This is done before even the blessing is said. This custom evolved from the fact that fasting in the dessert can be tough on the salt supply in the body because of sweating. It's very important to maintain your electrolyte balance when shedding sodium and drinking large amounts of water. 2500-3000 mg is a good daily amount the first 2 weeks of Wh30.

Magoo

"A man can't change his destiny.  a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed." Algren

Thanks Magoo, I'm already taking the magnesium supplement and am adding salt to food. I really don't mind a little soreness after a good workout, just surprised! :)

Archived