Start Date June 26th

Happy Oiler Lisa

8 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

M1- Sauted spinach in Avocado Oil, two eggs, and sausage.  Coffee with coconut cream   Not enough food

Lunch got a little off as I was out and about longer than I anticipated.  I ended up eating snacks from my purse on the way home to tide me over to "real" lunch

Wait until you can have your whole "meal" unless your going to workout with the hour.

M2 - Banana and Chomps beef jerky on ride, then chop salad with oil/vinegar dressing, dates, carrots, procuitto and a few raspberries. Should be more Real protein and not cured processed meats.

S1 - Had another piece of procuitto and a handful of coconut flakes while fixing dinner

M3 - Pineapple Chicken over a plate of zoodles.  

Don't feel bad, don't feel great.  Mostly tired.  Not craving anything, just missing a lot.  Here's to a new day!"

First days can be rough. Lots of water, salt and more water required. 15-18 8 oz glasses. Min 2 tsp of salt.

Hang in there and Eat! roast meats, Veg Veg Veg and clean fat. Don't worry about calories. Eat to satisfy yourself.

Magoo

For my M1- I physically couldn't eat more, and I was not hungry before lunch time.  Should I still be trying to eat more?  I used a little less spinach than I did on Day 2 because I couldn't finish it that day.

M2- Got it on the real protein.  There is no way I could have waited to eat my meal though.  It was close to 2:00 before I got home and I get shaky and "off" if I don't eat something when my body is telling me I need to eat.  It is a running joke (funny, not funny) to feed me when I'm hungry or pay the consequences.

I think I'm good on the salt.  As for water, I'm drinking close to the oz per half body weight.  I will work on making sure I get the full amount.

Thanks for the input and support!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good start to day 5 so far. I cooked a full breakfast because I work later in the day today. My meal timings will be off by about an hour, which is what they would be on the weekends anyway, so hopefully that is okay. I still eat as soon as I wake up. 

M1: ground beef sweet potato hash on some spinach. Coffee and coconut milk. 

Feeling good so far. The bloat from last night seems to have subsided a bit. I like that I'm waking up hungry. Because I should be waking up hungry - it's time to eat! And I like that I come home from work about 5 hours after my last meal and feel the need to eat too. Sometimes I would come home from work and munch on popcorn and then not be hungry for dinner. 

But I also love that unlike other eating plans I've tried I'm not hungry all the time. 

Slept well (maybe with the natural calm?). My boss wants to buy us all lunch today and I told her not to worry about me, but she's adamant we pick a place that has some options for me, which I found very sweet. Earlier in the week I was being told "Well, just make Friday your cheat day" but now it's "okay, well what could we order that you could have too." 

I am planning to cook up an easy tomato sauce and do the rest of the ground beef in that over some zucchini noodles for dinner. 

HAPPY FRIDAY! 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Good start to day 5 so far. I cooked a full breakfast because I work later in the day today. My meal timings will be off by about an hour, which is what they would be on the weekends anyway, so hopefully that is okay. I still eat as soon as I wake up. 

M1: ground beef sweet potato hash on some spinach. Coffee and coconut milk. 

Feeling good so far. The bloat from last night seems to have subsided a bit. I like that I'm waking up hungry. Because I should be waking up hungry - it's time to eat! And I like that I come home from work about 5 hours after my last meal and feel the need to eat too. Sometimes I would come home from work and munch on popcorn and then not be hungry for dinner. 

But I also love that unlike other eating plans I've tried I'm not hungry all the time. 

Slept well (maybe with the natural calm?). My boss wants to buy us all lunch today and I told her not to worry about me, but she's adamant we pick a place that has some options for me, which I found very sweet. Earlier in the week I was being told "Well, just make Friday your cheat day" but now it's "okay, well what could we order that you could have too." 

I am planning to cook up an easy tomato sauce and do the rest of the ground beef in that over some zucchini noodles for dinner. 

HAPPY FRIDAY! 

I just love everything about this post!  I'm so glad that you're feeling good, that your hunger signals are working and most importantly that you're being supported by people around you!  Really awesome to hear!

Day 10 for me, and wow the timeline is on point w/ the throw in the towel...but I am forging on, b/c thankfully I have this forum for inspiration. Thank you for that :)

Last night at the grocery store as I was grabbing chicken thighs to make the hash again, corner of my eye spotted my fave deli pizza. Grabbed the chicken and turned around and went to the produce section, which I had to pass the wine aisles to get there. All the bottles were glistening and the cold beer in the refrigerators looked sooo tasty...I said 'come on, you have gone 9 days, 21 to go...tomorrow you'll be a 1/3 through...note to self, grocery shop 1x a week to stop temptation' I prevailed, but this morning....

Gaaaaah. Woke up w/ a headache that makes hangover headaches feel like a walk in the park. Took some Tylenol, whipped up 4 eggs w grilled veggies and 1/2 an avocado in ghee and by the time I cleaned up the kitchen, the headache was gone...but all the visions from the grocery store were still in my head, pizza...beer...wine...potato chips.

I decided when I got to office that I would buy the Cusiniart egg cooker I had been eyeing as a reward for getting through 9 days and here I am in day 10 busy at office, looking forward to cooking up some tasty Whole30 compliant meals and relaxing... thankfully no one is here, so no food temptation. I'm waiting for tiger blood mode to attack, heehee... but yea, the timeline, this am, if I had pizza I would have had that for breakfast...thankfully i didn't have it...and thankfully I hopped on here.

TGIF everyone!!!!

So my day was insane. Work was exceptionally busy, I was the only supervisor there for the last four hours and I did not stop running around. I felt a little bit of that "I need a glass of wine" when I was getting ready to leave, but now that I'm home I'm not really disappointed I can't have one. My food is almost ready and I'll have a cup of herbal tea instead. 

I am disappointed that I stopped at the store first and forgot eggs and coconut milk and everything's closed tomorrow, which means I have to go back. #whole30 problems

How was everyone's day 5? 

15 hours ago, turtledove said:

For my M1- I physically couldn't eat more, and I was not hungry before lunch time.  Should I still be trying to eat more?  I used a little less spinach than I did on Day 2 because I couldn't finish it that day.

M2- Got it on the real protein.  There is no way I could have waited to eat my meal though.  It was close to 2:00 before I got home and I get shaky and "off" if I don't eat something when my body is telling me I need to eat.  It is a running joke (funny, not funny) to feed me when I'm hungry or pay the consequences.

I think I'm good on the salt.  As for water, I'm drinking close to the oz per half body weight.  I will work on making sure I get the full amount.

Thanks for the input and support!a

Spinach isn't really a filling or high calorie veg. and it cooks down to 1 cup per 12 oz bag, so nuf said. Bulk veg like broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cabbages, collards, are much more filling per cup than spinach and will hold much more oil/fat per cup. Give it some thought. I have found that a lot of folks attempting this are not big veggie eaters to start with, and that is an issue in Whole30 and paleo in general. Meat and eggs are great, but veggies get you home and full and fat keeps you there.

Magoo

June 26ers - I have a question...I started this a few days ahead of June 26, and have consistently had this issue while on it.  I read in the book that improved degestive issues is a non-scale victory of this plan...but I'm having the opposite.  I did not have any issues before this, but did not eat a lot of meat.  Is this typical in the early stage?  Other than that, I feel very satiated, very full, hardly any cravings, and getting past the extremely tired state.  I'm thinking my body is still adjusting to the increased meat and fat (I've always eaten lots of veggies...and carbs!) 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, chicagobirdie said:

June 26ers - I have a question...I started this a few days ahead of June 26, and have consistently had this issue while on it.  I read in the book that improved degestive issues is a non-scale victory of this plan...but I'm having the opposite.  I did not have any issues before this, but did not eat a lot of meat.  Is this typical in the early stage?  Other than that, I feel very satiated, very full, hardly any cravings, and getting past the extremely tired state.  I'm thinking my body is still adjusting to the increased meat and fat (I've always eaten lots of veggies...and carbs!) 

Okay it's hard to say with the little info you've given, but yes, digestive issues can be an issue in the beginning days.  If you're not a big meat eater, then you may benefit from a digestive enzyme... I can't link you but there are discussions on the forum about it... just google 'whole30 digestive enzyme' and you should get some results and if by chance you can find a post by our old moderator Tom Denham, he always had good advice surrounding the digestive enzymes.

Okay, I am counting this as a victory even though the only reason I was in this situation was because I don't know how to check a clock. 

So I got about an hour less sleep than needed last night and woke up with plans for my dad to come over and fix stuff around my apartment. I had a good breakfast before he got here, 3 eggs scrambled on a bed of veggies topped with guacamole. Plus coffee with a little coconut milk. I felt good, if still a bit tired. Dad gets here, spends some time helping me fix all the things that need fixing and leaves. I had planned to make a quick trip to the mall after. I run out the door, thinking I'll be back in time for lunch. 

Had I checked the clock, I would've realized I was leaving as it was time for lunch. Hunger pangs start en route. I do my shopping, hold off as long as I can, then find some emergency food because I cannot wait anymore. Technically compliant, but not enough veggies, not enough protein, etc. 

I get home, still hungry, thinking I'll just take a nap and wait until dinner, which is what I would usually do. Except I honestly could not. So I got up, threw together a mini meal with protein, tons of veggies and good fat in ten minutes and ate that. 

Lesson learned to be more mindful, but the fact that I cooked anything - let alone a good, balanced meal - instead of white knuckling my way to dinner was a huge win for me. 

44 minutes ago, nicky05 said:

I've also decided I hate the taste of eggs cooked in coconut oil. 

Ya, it's weird -- some people find a preference between refined and unrefined, and I've also noticed difference in taste from brand to brand.

For me, some combos work better than others -- I prefer coconut oil to ghee when I'm adding it to vegetables, whereas for eggs I like them both equally well.

1 minute ago, kirkor said:

Ya, it's weird -- some people find a preference between refined and unrefined, and I've also noticed difference in taste from brand to brand.

For me, some combos work better than others -- I prefer coconut oil to ghee when I'm adding it to vegetables, whereas for eggs I like them both equally well.

Interesting! I'm sure I would like eggs in ghee (speaking of which, I should get some ghee). I like coconut oil for other things, just not eggs. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nicky05 said:

Happy Day 7, everyone! 

How are we all feeling? 

I'm ravenous (because, hormones) and a little run down. I've also decided I hate the taste of eggs cooked in coconut oil. 

Make sure if you're ravenous (and not just craving) that you're increasing your meals... if your hormone comment was due to you being a menstruating woman during or within a week leading up to her time, you may need to eat significantly more... one of our mods eats six meals a day during her time... and that's totally okay!

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Make sure if you're ravenous (and not just craving) that you're increasing your meals... if your hormone comment was due to you being a menstruating woman during or within a week leading up to her time, you may need to eat significantly more... one of our mods eats six meals a day during her time... and that's totally okay!

Thank you!! I asked is this question in the ladies only section last night because I could not get full, no matter what I did. I felt like my meals were huge and yet two hours later I was ready for more. I can't remember ever eating this much! 

I'm going to try and put in an extra serving of starchy vegetables today and see if that helps. \

My big win today was going to the coffee shop by my house and remembering at the last minute they give you a little chocolate with every order. I left it on the counter and got out of there fast hahaha. 

2 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Interesting! I'm sure I would like eggs in ghee (speaking of which, I should get some ghee). I like coconut oil for other things, just not eggs. 

I ghee up everything and rarely use coconut oil.  Even when I roast veg I use olive oil (always have done this so it's not a whole30 thing).

Well on day 4 and plugging through.  Still struggling to eat breakfast within an hour or so of getting up cos I'm usually up at 5 or 6 am but don't eat until about 9am so I'm working on that one atm. Feel like I'm eating truckloads and I don't want to put on weight so keep telling myself to trust the process! :huh:

M1   Eggs x3 scrambled with asparagus, capsicum and some tomato.  Plus half avo.   But felt hungry about 10am so decided it's not enough to get me through.  Maybe I'll bulk it out with more veg.

M2 chicken and roast veg with half avo.  Veg included some roast sweet potato which seems to suit me best at midday rather than any other meal.

M3  Beef and vegetable soup.   Was concerned I didn't get my palm size protein or much fat so had 2 boiled eggs mashed with ghee and curry powder.  Plus a cup of mixed berries.

Am feeling a little weary and still feel bloated but feel a little "quieter" inside.  

Hope everyone is doing well.  Cheers.:)

Day 6 and 7 have been challenging for me. I'm traveling for a bike weekend so the scheduling and planning are difficult to nail down. 

I made it through yesterday and even had a successful dinning out experience, although looking at the warm pretzel and French fries around me was torture. I'm surprised that I seem to be craving salty carby items more than sweets, when sweets were my main downfall and reason for doing the W30. 

Today is proving to be a bit more difficult. We rode for about 3 hours staring at 11:30, with breakfast around 10/10:30. With the timing of our ride and meals I was not hungry for pre/post meals in addition to my breakfast or lunch, but I am now feeling pretty sluggish and hungry. Tomorrow I will try to be better prepared. I have not noticed too many side effects, so maybe this is a combo of day 6 fatigue and the long ride.

M1: 2 veggie egg muffins, raw carrots, roasted sweet potatoes, banana, and almond butter

Snacks while riding: larabar and banana (only compliant item available on trail)

M2: salad with shredded chicken, squeeze pack of sweet potato and carrot baby food, and coconut water

M3: currently making tacos with guacamole and peppers

I have noticed some habits from this 2nd round that I recognized.  I think by writing about them will actually help me from what I hide from.  These are some of my NSV that I will continue to work away from.  

Nut butters/nuts and all cream, smooth delicious goodness...including tahini (plain, mixed with honey, flax, chia...raisins).  I will eat straight from the jar, or I can.  This round I put what nut butters I had left in the freezer in the basement.  I'm finding that I don't think about them that much.

I also used to mix coconut oil with coco or cocoa powder... all chocolate powders gave also been moved for this round.

i used to have a habit of waking up in the middle of the night and getting a snack.  Sometimes this was due to hunger, other times it was out of habit.  As long as I stick to the meal plan and dont eat dinner too early, I'm not wanting a midnight snack.  

That's all.  Happy to day 7 tomorrow.

I have a cold/sore throat - came on yesterday. Made it through and forced myself to meal prep. :( my usual turmeric tea is out because it has sugar in it (way too strong and icky to try it without!), so any good remedy ideas gratefully received! At the moment it is coconut water and hot water with fresh lemons in it and some paracetamol when I am feeling truly awful.... kind of annoyed with it - had such a great, energetic morning yesterday and now feeling like total poop.... hopefully I can kick it quickly!

8 hours ago, Lu McGrath said:

I have a cold/sore throat - came on yesterday. Made it through and forced myself to meal prep. :( my usual turmeric tea is out because it has sugar in it (way too strong and icky to try it without!), so any good remedy ideas gratefully received! At the moment it is coconut water and hot water with fresh lemons in it and some paracetamol when I am feeling truly awful.... kind of annoyed with it - had such a great, energetic morning yesterday and now feeling like total poop.... hopefully I can kick it quickly!

Maybe some bone broth? Even when I'm not on Whole30 that makes me feel a lot better. 

One week completed! Feeling good about that but also bloated and crampy and all that fun stuff. Yesterday was a weird eating day for me and a nap threw off my schedule a bit. I don't feel great right now, but I don't think the Whole30 is to blame for that. I did get a yoga workout in last night. 

I thought this weekend (a long weekend) would be easier because I can take my time to cook things instead of like when I'm at work, but I honestly think I'm bored and feeling a bit all Whole30 all the time. I'm enjoying the break from work, but I'm also tired and so much cooking and dishes after every meal. This morning I just had leftover chicken, apple hash because I could not be bothered preparing eggs again. 

Oh, I'm super sick of eggs already, hahah. I've only eaten them for two breakfasts and one mini meal but I'm not in the mood for them right now. 

I'm off tomorrow so hopefully I will get some good meal prep done for the week. 

9 hours ago, Lu McGrath said:

Mix the tumeric w/ a little ginger maybe? 

I always have chamomile with lemon when I have a sore throat and gargle salt water.

Feel better!

On 7/1/2017 at 9:44 AM, chicagobirdie said:

How much and what kinds of veggies are you and did you eat. The bacilli that are produced in the breaking down of certain veg can be a disturbace to the gut flora. Also,  meat and (beans& pulses for vegans) require certain levels of enzymes to be digested. These build up over time and the frequency of intake. If these issues don't resolve soon(within the first 14-18 days), then FODMAPS assessment should be considered.

Magoo

"With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage."   Hippocrates

Day 9! Yay! 

I feel better today, although my seasonal allergies were really bad this morning. My stomach hurt a bit after I woke up and I'm encountering some digestive issues. I'm not exactly looking forward to being back at work, but I am looking forward to not having time to think about food all day. I find myself continuously wandering into the kitchen to see what there is. It's very mindless and I don't like it.  

Taco bowls, spaghetti with meatballs and chicken hash on the menu this week.  What's everyone else cooking? 

5 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

How much and what kinds of veggies are you and did you eat. The bacilli that are produced in the breaking down of certain veg can be a disturbace to the gut flora. Also,  meat and (beans& pulses for vegans) require certain levels of enzymes to be digested. These build up over time and the frequency of intake. If these issues don't resolve soon(within the first 14-18 days), then FODMAPS assessment should be considered.

Magoo

"With regard to healing the sick, I will devise and order for them the best diet, according to my judgment and means; and I will take care that they suffer no hurt or damage."   Hippocrates

@CookyMagoo can you say more about "how much and what kinds" of veges you are eating?  And any tips to minimize bloating??

And @chicagobirdie I'm wondering if what I'm eating now is causing bloating as well or if it will settle cos I'm only on day 6.  

And what kinds of veges cause disturbances in the gut - is that the cabbage, broc, cauliflower thing?

Also I've heard digestive enzymes are useful - has anyone tried these at all? 

Today for me is: 

M1  beef and veg soup

M2  zucchini noodles and pasta sauce with some steamed sweet potato with ghee and s&p on the side

M3   fish and salad. Salad is lettuce, cabbage, carrot, celery, onion, cucumber and tomato with with "dump ranch" dressing (from W30 cookbook).  Fish fried in ghee and oil with lemon. 

hope everyone is travelling well! 

Made it through the bike weekend successfully! I did the best I could to follow the meal plan, but with the amount of riding I had more small meals with snacks. I will get back to the three regular meals tomorrow. I do think my energy was impacted, I probably didn't have the same snap or quickness I would have normally had, but I have not been too fatigued.

We wil get home late so I will not have a prep day going into my week, but I am interested to see how it goes. I'm feeling more confident with my ability to make decisions last minute or find a dining out option. 

I was having some stomach issues as well, but they seem to be subsiding. I added kombucha, which may have helped. 

Good luck to everyone, here comes day 10!

Hey there!!! Started June 26th!  It is so interesting how challenges come up...like the black coffee ordered through the drive-thru one hurried morning, just to discover shortly thereafter that there's cream in it. Mm mm mm...

**Life didn't end because I had to skip the coffee.**

Challenges have been MET these last 9 days. This is my 2nd Whole. THIS CAN be DONE! Let's DO this!!!

Archived