Start Date June 26th

Happy Oiler Lisa

SEVEN..!!

Getting there, slow and steady!  Was very difficult getting out of bed this morning.  It was cool in the house...didn't have to turn the fan on at ALL!  So I must have gone FAR into Sleepytown...

However, once I got up and started moving around, I was good.  When I usually wake up groggy like that I would 'need' a venti sugar free hazelnut mocha with an extra shot before I started to feel awake.  Recovery time is amazing...and almost artificial stimulant free.  Had a coffee today just because that was the vehicle for the healthy fat:  coconut milk.  Mmmmmm...

Got a few inquiries today.  Some said I could NEVER do it, others were going to the site to investigate. 

A week to go.  Let's DOOOOO it!!!!!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

Soooo very pissed off (mainly at myself).  I have had zero cravings and I have felt pretty good this whole time.  I have started to enjoy my black coffee and haven't been craving sugar or cheese. 

Went to my son's Showcase Baseball Tournament at Mizzou this weekend.  It was hot to say the least, so my husband and I were using our metal water bottles to keep our water cold.  We would grab a water from the cooler and dump it into our water bottles so we didn't have open water bottles in the cooler to have cold water.  I was eating right, took my own lunches to the fields, packed a cooler each day for water, had Rxbars and Larabars (W30 approved) for breakfast just in case, and asked each restaurant we ate at about their menu and how the food was prepared.  I took a ribbing from the other parents (all in good fun) at each restaurant because I was "that person." 

On Saturday, I took a sip from my husband's "water" on accident to realize a fatal error.  He had put a Nuun in his water.  Nuun, in case you didn't know, has Stevia in it!  I am so pissed I grabbed his metal water bottle instead of my own.  He kept telling me it is okay and I don't "really" have to start over, but I know I can't cheat myself over even a sip.  Soooo...I have to begin again.  I'm actually okay with it, but I was planning a W30 this go around to end before my vacay and then I was going to do another one after.  I was planning on a screw up over vacation with the amount of times we will be eating out, so I planned my W30 around my vacay.  I never imagined it would be a sip of Nuun that did me in before I even finished my first W30.

Though I'm a little disappointed I didn't complete this W30, I am not giving in.  I am going to continue my W30 journey by staying on task between now and my vacay and not stressing it.  I know I will probably unintentionally consume something over vacay, so I won't be too mad if it happens.  I am going to start my W30 over on August 7th (because it's a Monday).  Ugh!  Nuuns, how could you?

Go for it! But let me just say that "accidentally" drinking your husbands "water", just a "sip" does not constitute a reason to start over. You get more dextrose in table salt than you get in a sip of watered down accidental  water additive. Did you finish the water bottle? Did you go on a sugar binge, after your accidental sip of adulterated water? Then you would surely need to start over. 

No one is asking for perfect, cause that isn't happening. Perfect is for the imaginary dieter who thinks that their diet is going to fix everything and make them something they never were in the first place. This is not a diet,

Suck it up! I was an accident. Like, "oh no, my fork had some frosting on it from serving my child a piece of cake and then I ate my melon balls from the same fork", the sky is not falling, cats and dogs are not sleeping together. Everything is as it was and your reset is still in progress. For God sack, read the book.

Thus endeth the lecture. Hope this was helpful.

Magoo

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, CookyMagoo said:

Go for it! But let me just say that "accidentally" drinking your husbands "water", just a "sip" does not constitute a reason to start over. You get more dextrose in table salt than you get in a sip of watered down accidental  water additive. Did you finish the water bottle? Did you go on a sugar binge, after your accidental sip of adulterated water? Then you would surely need to start over. 

No one is asking for perfect, cause that isn't happening. Perfect is for the imaginary dieter who thinks that their diet is going to fix everything and make them something they never were in the first place. This is not a diet,

Suck it up! I was an accident. Like, "oh no, my fork had some frosting on it from serving my child a piece of cake and then I ate my melon balls from the same fork", the sky is not falling, cats and dogs are not sleeping together. Everything is as it was and your reset is still in progress. For God sack, read the book.

Magoo

What if cats and dogs DID sleep together??

3 hours ago, CookyMagoo said:

, Go for it! But let me just say that "accidentally" drinking your husbands "water", just a "sip" does not constitute a reason to start over. You get more dextrose in table salt than you get in a sip of watered down accidental  water additive. Did you finish the water bottle? Did you go on a sugar binge, after your accidental sip of adulterated water? Then you would surely need to start over. 

Magoo

Totally agree.  Wanted to say it but didn't have the courage to be the first. Way to go Chef! 

All of this is discussed in the book.  I totally respect your 'Whole' commitment for sure, but this is not rigidity.  Definitely a reset.  You are fine.  I hope you just chalk it up to a learning experience and press on.

I also hope you are still in the game, as of right now.  Let's do it!!!!

I'm totally cool with going forward with this W30 as is. I'm just gonna strive to be more careful with my next go around after vacay. No binging going on here and I got over my little slip. 

thank you for the words Chef. I kicked my butt and reminded myself that perfection isn't expected per the book. Just took me by surprise that I did something so silly. 

Moving forward with my journey. I am in this for my health, not starting a new diet!  Thanks all!

Seven days left, it feels so close and yet so far. I keep reminding myself how far we have all come and that seven days should be easy at this point.

I think I may have to take a break from coffee, as the book discusses, I am having the worst time staying asleep. I just love my coffee with almond/coconut creamer so much!

I have one more vacation to get through this weekend and I am very thankful for this forum. As others have said, it certainly helps with accountability. Luckily my vacation will be with my sister-in-law who discovered that she has severe celiac disease (a discovery she made after doing the whole30), so I won't be alone in avoiding certain foods. She even said she would eat w30 with me. :)

Good luck to everyone on our last weekend!

SIX...!!!

As far as I know, I have nothing planned this weekend.  I've recognized, after last Sunday, that not HAVING plans doesn't mean that you won't END UP with any.

It helps that this time, this is a way of life.  I am so disgusted with the entire food industry as a whole right now (no pun intended), and I am ready to move forward in eating to nourish my body from this point forward...for the rest of my life.  Life has been pretty ridiculous preWhole2, making food choices that I KNEW would be detrimental (soy equals painful knees and headaches...milk, bubble guts), suffer the consequences, recover and repeat.  True insanity.  This time, life will be different.  I feel differently.  I think differently.  And that is independent of my spouse and whatever he decides to eat. (Love him still)  Short order cook.  That is what it takes for both of us to be happy.  So be it.  But I will NOT be going back to frozen pizzas and store bought mayo.  I am a changed woman.

Taking it a day at a time, conscious of every choice that I make, and CARING enough this time to actually MAKE the RIGHT one!

Clean eating to you all today!!!!  WOOOHOOOOOO!!!

The first thing I might reintro...beans.

This whole time I have not had any digestive issues, and looking back...I had issues before this and I am wondering if beans are the cause. I know dairy gives me issues, but I know that b/c I had not eaten dairy for years and slipped down the slippery slope, but while I was dairy free, I had digestive issues...and beans were a staple. Soooo I figure I will have some black beans and see how I do.  Occasionally having beans is one thing, but I really am loving how I am eating these days, and there have been no beans b/c they are not W30 compliant. ;)

Def gonna do the slow role reintro.  I can't believe today is day 29 for me. I now know why my brother decided to continue a bit longer after his 1st 30 was done. 

Final lap for most of y'all. Pretty freaking awesome!!!

So...absolutely NO planning today.  Ran out and went to work. 

So for lunch I go down and see if this Indian place they have up (this restaurant rotates vendors every day.  Can prove to be advantageous on occasion) has anything compliant like the last Indian place did with that delightful 'Indian taco'.  No...everything coated with either dairy, grains or added sugar.  Fine.  I'll make myself a salad.  As I walk away the guy says hey!, are you you doing uhhhh...whole uhhhh...

Whole 30?  yes.  You are familiar?

Yes!  My aunt just got done with one.  She just made it to the 30th day a few days ago and BINGED on everything that she couldn't have for 30 days...

Mm mm mm...that made me sad.  Not sure what was going on THERE...But I thought...if I were to splurge on the 30th day, what would I choose?

I am so happy to say that nothing came to mind. Food is to nourish the body...no longer a recreational activity for me.  woohoo!!!

I will reintroduce in order, just to see if my body has changed and I can tolerate LESS than I did before...felt pretty horrible before this Whole...but no, not pressed to put foolishness back in my body.  I think my mind may have been healed this time. I'm so excited about the future.  Working very hard to make it a permanent feature...

This weekend is family cookout at our place, so the menu will be 100% compliant and no one will be the wiser. 

Smoked beef brisket and pork butt, each with their own rubs. Oil and vinegar cole slaw. Baked cauliflower with organic full fat coconut milk sauce. grilled green beans from the garden. Roasted beets and pickled radishes and cucumbers Chinese style(salt only). Roasted new potatoes with garlic and spring onions in pastured lard and tallow. Hawaiian rolls fort hose who eat bread with their meats. Unsweetened beverages and BYOB.

I'll be spending all day and night Saturday at the smoker, but the payoff is always worth it.

You folks are doing great and the reintro process will be such an education to you all. Just keep the reins in hand and don't go wild. You are in control, you decide what you put in your mouth and the biggest rewards from the Whole30, is usually the realization is that THIS is the way to eat, not the way we ate before. You have opened that door, seen inside, now step through and live.

Magoo

"A man can't change his destiny.  a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed." Algren

5 hours ago, miyl444 said:

The first thing I might reintro...beans.

This whole time I have nogest t had any digestive issues, and looking back...I had issues before this and I am wondering if beans are the cause. I know dairy gives me issues, but I know that b/c I had not eaten dairy for years and slipped down the slippery slope, but while I was dairy free, I had digestive issues...and beans were a staple. Soooo I figure I will have some black beans and see how I do.  Occasionally having beans is one thing, but I really am loving how I am eating these days, and there have been no beans b/c they are not W30 compliant. ;)

Def gonna do the slow role reintro.  I can't believe today is day 29 for me. I now know why my brother decided to continue a bit longer after his 1st 30 was done. 

Final lap for most of y'all. Pretty freaking awesome!!!

Just a note on beans, the enzymes needed to digest these bombs of nature and not present in great numbers in the human gut. The less you partake of them(all pulses), the harder they are to digest because the enzymes build up over time. In many eastern cultures this is accomplished by cooking small portions very well in soups and stews and providing a larger portion once a week on a designated evening meal. Not the night you will be bedding your wife or concubine mind you. No one eats beans the we do here in the west, as a stand alone side or entre'. They are always added to a dish as an ingredient or fortifier. In some middle eastern cuisines they are a staple and always mixed with a large amount of fat to improve the digestion and mouth feel (hummus) or tajiki or belela salads. miyl444, if you are not planning to eat these regularly, you may want to skip it because your results may prove nothing other than you can't digest a thing you hardly eat, unless your reintro is going to be 3-4 weeks on beans alone. 

Best of luck, your practically there. 

Magoo

Six days and I don't know what's wrong with me. I feel like I'm losing my self control. My meals are still compliant and follow the template, but I find myself reaching for things I should not be reaching for between meal times. Like almond butter, for example.  

I obviously need to stop, I just don't know where my awareness went. It's like I'm not making a conscious effort to do everything anymore so I'm starting to slip into habits I should not be slipping into. 

Any suggestions? I thought I'd be passed this point so late in the game!  All of a sudden it just feels like a binge is creeping up on me and I'm very afraid whether stay on Whole30 or not I won't be able to stop it. So much anxiety. 

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, nicky05 said:

Six days and I don't know what's wrong with me. I feel like I'm losing my self control. My meals are still compliant and follow the template, but I find myself reaching for things I should not be reaching for between meal times. Like almond butter, for example.  

I obviously need to stop, I just don't know where my awareness went. It's like I'm not making a conscious effort to do everything anymore so I'm starting to slip into habits I should not be slipping into. 

Any suggestions? I thought I'd be passed this point so late in the game!  All of a sudden it just feels like a binge is creeping up on me and I'm very afraid whether stay on Whole30 or not I won't be able to stop it. So much anxiety. 

Are you actually following the template or do you FEEL like you are?  Often at this stage of the game we feel like we know the template back and forth but one meal is a bit short on veggies so we add a bit extra fruit and then one meal doesn't really have too much fat but still the fruit etc... and it gets all haywire... it could also be your brain giving you an Extinction Burst... you can google that one ;)

Power through, ditch any fruit and nuts you've been having and really make sure that template is on target!

2 hours ago, nicky05 said:

I only know what I know of all of us through what we have written.  So I can only encourage you with what I know about myself. 

The mind is a terrible thing.  When it looks like I am about to actually accomplish a goal, I am usually overwhelmed with the urge to self-sabotage...as if I am not worth the effort it takes to achieve a goal, don't have what it takes to meet a goal...get lazy and unmotivated to put forth the last bit of fight needed to win because...what???  I might actually push past my inaccurate bouts with low self-esteem and be accountable for the rest of my life because I have proven that I can, so therefore will have to continue to???  Other people's voices of negativity ringing louder than the cheerers on the sidelines encouraging me to the finish line???

You ARE worth the effort, You DESERVE to live better, eat better, FEEL better...unapologetically and confidently!  We are a minority...but we are RIGHT!!!

Earlier on you mentioned that you wouldn't have made it this far if you were not serious.  I believe you.

24 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Are you actually following the template or do you FEEL like you are?  Often at this stage of the game we feel like we know the template back and forth but one meal is a bit short on veggies so we add a bit extra fruit and then one meal doesn't really have too much fat but still the fruit etc... and it gets all haywire... it could also be your brain giving you an Extinction Burst... you can google that one ;)

Power through, ditch any fruit and nuts you've been having and really make sure that template is on target!

Thank you! I started adding a little more fruit (I was maybe having a serving every other day up until this point) and maybe I'm just really feeling the effects of that. It's always with meals, but I was wondering if I might just be reacting to that. I think I can safely say I haven't overdone it on the nuts, I've only had them occasionally because recipes called for them in small amounts. 

But I think you're totally right. It almost feels like I'm on autopilot now, but I'm not that comfortable with eating like this. Things might be slipping and having no appetite over the weekend made me cut down on the fat. Time to refocus! 

Just now, Let's Dooooo It! said:

I only know what I know of all of us through what we have written.  So I can only encourage you with what I know about myself. 

The mind is a terrible thing.  When it looks like I am about to actually accomplish a goal, I am usually overwhelmed with the urge to self-sabotage...as if I am not worth the effort it takes to achieve a goal, don't have what it takes to meet a goal...get lazy and unmotivated to put forth the last bit of fight needed to win because...what???  I might actually push past my inaccurate bouts with low self-esteem and be accountable for the rest of my life because I have proven that I can, so therefore will have to continue to???  Other people's voices of negativity ringing louder than the cheerers on the sidelines encouraging me to the finish line???

You ARE worth the effort, You DESERVE to live better, eat better, FEEL better...unapologetically and confidently!  We are a minority...but we are RIGHT!!!

Earlier on you mentioned that you wouldn't have made it this far if you were not serious.  I believe you.

I really don't think any of us would have made it this far! Eating like this is no easy task - especially in the beginning - it takes a lot of focus. I have no plans on quitting but it's just my mind starting to play tricks on me as the Whole30 winds down. Thank you for your encouragement. I just have to believe it will all work out. 

2 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Thank you! I started adding a little more fruit (I was maybe having a serving every other day up until this point) and maybe I'm just really feeling the effects of that. It's always with meals, but I was wondering if I might just be reacting to that. I think I can safely say I haven't overdone it on the nuts, I've only had them occasionally because recipes called for them in small amounts. 

But I think you're totally right. It almost feels like I'm on autopilot now, but I'm not that comfortable with eating like this. Things might be slipping and having no appetite over the weekend made me cut down on the fat. Time to refocus! 

I really don't think any of us would have made it this far! Eating like this is no easy task - especially in the beginning - it takes a lot of focus. I have no plans on quitting but it's just my mind starting to play tricks on me as the Whole30 winds down. Thank you for your encouragement. I just have to believe it will all work out. 

It WIIIIIIIIILLLLLLL!!!  It will.  It is designed to.  tried and tested.  Grab a water on the sidelines and let's get to the finish line.  we ARE doing this!!!!

Mighty proud of you up to this point.  The Whole is no punk!!!

FIVE...!!!

Whew! This has been a month of challenges for SURE! Let's just say that the kitchen had been out of order for almost THREE weeks...so, very minimal cooking has gone on...lots of eggs in the egg cooker...

I am soooooo happy! Tonight will be the first night I have my kitchen back! The last five will go out with a BANG!!

Thinking almond meal crusted liver with sauteed spinach and halved brussel sprouts.

Ohhhh...the roar of YUCK from the crowd!!! :blink: I know. I've always been weird that way...loving what most eaters hate -dark chocolate and broccoli included...yummmm! :D

Finish WELL all!

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Extinction Burst...how REAL THAT is...

I REALLY should have gone on and pursued psychology...fascinating!

Thanks again @SugarcubeOD and @Let's Dooooo It! for your wisdom and encouragement. I cut out fruits and nuts today and concentrated on really making sure I was hitting template meals. I had guacamole with my eggs (and still kept a bit of coconut milk in my coffee) and added fat to my lunch that I think I had been lacking. I feel much better and my anxiety is way down today even though work was quite dramatic and stressful. 

I also came home and ate dinner right away and I feel good right now. 

Also, found compliant (and delicious) chicken burgers and those were a life saver tonight. I had nothing for dinner and didn't feel like cooking but these were perfect. 

Sipping some kombucha and ready to do some yoga later. Glad my sugar dragon seems to have calmed again. 

FIVE DAYS TO GO. I am reading the reintroduction part of Food Freedom and planning out my reset. I'm going to do a scheduled reset instead of the slow roll and thinking mine will end up being about 12 days if all goes as planned. I have a licensing exam on Thursday and my friend is taking me out for dinner after to celebrate so it will be nice to do so with a glass of wine. 

4 hours ago, nicky05 said:

Thanks again @SugarcubeOD and @Let's Dooooo It! for your wisdom and encouragement. I cut out fruits and nuts today and concentrated on really making sure I was hitting template meals. I had guacamole with my eggs (and still kept a bit of coconut milk in my coffee) and added fat to my lunch that I think I had been lacking. I feel much better and my anxiety is way down today even though work was quite dramatic and stressful. 

I also came home and ate dinner right away and I feel good right now. 

Also, found compliant (and delicious) chicken burgers and those were a life saver tonight. I had nothing for dinner and didn't feel like cooking but these were perfect. 

Sipping some kombucha and ready to do some yoga later. Glad my sugar dragon seems to have calmed again. 

FIVE DAYS TO GO. I am reading the reintroduction part of Food Freedom and planning out my reset. I'm going to do a scheduled reset instead of the slow roll and thinking mine will end up being about 12 days if all goes as planned. I have a licensing exam on Thursday and my friend is taking me out for dinner after to celebrate so it will be nice to do so with a glass of wine. 

I went back to the beginning of this forum just to see what I'd missed about everyone before I jumped in on the 4th, eight days in...and we are a consistent, determined little group!! 

So, from what I gathered from your earlier posts, may...eh...THIS ONE...be the farthest you've come in your attempts??? ^_^

Go on now...GO ON!!!!  REINTRODUCTION can only be done if you FINISH.  I think someone is seeing the ribbon blowing across the FINISH LINE at this point!!!  So proud!  Do it!  Dooooo it!!!!!

I did not start the thaw out process in enough time to do the liver...it was easier to just go to the store and pick up CHICKEN LIVERS!!!  'battered' in almond meal, cooked in avocado oil...with sautéed spinach and halved Brussel sprouts cooked in a bit of coconut oil with ground mustard, spicy mustard, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.  Nothing that would pull a crowd like Chef, but I AM SATISFIED. AAAAAAHHHHHHH...  It tasted gourmet to ME.  :lol:

Another 'whole' day of eating clean.  This is very comfortable.  I feel that I can DO THIS!!!  For a very long time. Eating clean.  'Not Whole 365'. 

After a snore, it will be FOUR!

21 hours ago, nicky05 said:

That's funny, cause I do it every day and have for the last 2.5 years. It's not hard, it's just not what you are used to and it doesn't fit your standard definition of "healthy" (low fat) or Nutritious. Your used to eating the same 6 things in various forms. Chicken corn, potatoes corn, beef corn, salmon corn, pork corn, eggs corn. You have to break the cycle in the mind or it is just going to be a repeat of this every 4-6 months. Your going to have the same results you had before and you know how that worked out....right. If your grabbing for something that you shouldn't,  banish it. That's not hard, this is not hard. 

Reintro- rince and repeat until it is your thing, not the thing you do that makes you miserable and can't wait to be finished with. If it doesn't work out, that is your decision, no one else's.

2 minutes ago, CookyMagoo said:

That's funny, cause I do it every day and have for the last 2.5 years. It's not hard, it's just not what you are used to and it doesn't fit your standard definition of "healthy" (low fat) or Nutritious. Your used to eating the same 6 things in various forms. Chicken corn, potatoes corn, beef corn, salmon corn, pork corn, eggs corn. You have to break the cycle in the mind or it is just going to be a repeat of this every 4-6 months. Your going to have the same results you had before and you know how that worked out....right. If your grabbing for something that you shouldn't,  banish it. That's not hard, this is not hard. 

Reintro- rince and repeat until it is your thing, not the thing you do that makes you miserable and can't wait to be finished with. If it doesn't work out, that is your decision, no one else's.

Changing habits is hard. Adjusting to new food patterns is challenging and overcoming an eating disorder and all the tendencies that go along with that is also quite mentally exhausting at times. Everything gets easier with practice, of course. Sometimes you don't know something is going to be a problem food until the moment arises and you realize it is exactly that. Of course it's doable, but I don't think it's fair to disregard the effort everyone has put in. It's about resetting your habits and emotional relationship with food, which does not come as easily to some. 

This forum seems to be a place to share victories and struggles and ask for advice (which has been very helpful). I understand you do not feel my struggles are valid. I'm truly glad to hear you never found eating this way to be a challenge, even in the beginning. 

And I never said I was miserable, just having a few bad moments :). 

Archived