August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

http://paleomg.com/thai-pork-veggie-meatballs/. Seriously guys - these are great!  I double the recipe and flip the proportions of turkey and pork. The pork adds umami but I like the leaner texture of the turkey to be predominant. Everyone I have ever fed these to loved them and several friends with small children have asked for the recipe as they think their kids will love to munch on them. I freeze them dry and add sauce with zoodles as I go if I feel like it. Be sure and sweat the veggies and squeeze the moisture out. I use dish towels. Paper towels get soaked too quickly. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Yuliya Porter said:

Like what? I have never done whole 30 and with four children I am really busy. If you have suggestions, feel free to share. Seriously getting frustrated with responses that are critical and not helpful.... on the first day. 

Whoa! No need to jump on me by calling me critical just because I said there were healthier options. Guess when I read the book and it said "emergencies only" I took it to mean something else. Guess I also figured to-go food for parks and such would be picnic type foods that I brought with. I'm sure with 4 kids you are busy! A lot of prep goes into W30. The book says A lot of planning. 

So day 1 is done for me. I missed Diet Coke the most. And gum, but got through it. Enjoyed the new recipes I had!  I keep being afraid I'm going to accidentally eat or drink something I'm not supposed to!  Like I'm going to forget I'm on w30.  Haha. 

On 7/17/2017 at 9:25 PM, MarieC1978 said:

So, I started a W30 on June 26th only to be sabotaged by my husband's water that had a Nuun tablet in it this past Saturday (my fault, not his).  One sip that killed my first W30 at day 20.  Mad at myself for not being more careful, but I'm going into this next one with a militant attitude towards food and drink.  I had zero cravings and was even starting to enjoy my coffee black, so I thought I was in the home stretch.  Going to start over again after vacation on August 7th.  I hope others are going to join me here so we can help each other out.

This is day 1 for me and my husband. I'm addicted to coffee granitas so drinking iced black coffee was a discipline. :) It's good to find a few others starting today as well. I'm debating whether to put my kids on this. Anyone who's including their kids?

Hi everyone, a successful Day 1. It always feels easy for me day 1. Day 3 is when it gets challenging for me :)

One word about kids on Whole 30: the whole 30 recipes I make are my son's favorite meals. I don't force him to do Whole 30, but I also don't make multiple meals. There are so many good compliant recipes - I encourage you to try some and the kiddos may love it!

Day 1 down!! Heading to bed soon. Dinner was great!  Had the spaghetti squash, with hamburger and then top with the tomato sauce. Filling and really good! I pre-baked some chicken breast in some green goddess dressing and pepper. This way tomorrow's protein is ready and I can concentrate on the vegetable sides when I get home. I hope everyone had a great first day. Looking forward to tomorrow. Have to admit a bit scared that today was a fluke. I didn't crave a cigarette or an after work glass of wine to unwind. Tomorrow is another day and I'll face it then I guess. Well, goodnight Team Whole30 8/7 and lots of luck for another successful day tomorrow.

I had those Thai meatballs and chard in coconut oil for lunch. Made this pot of spaghetti sauce tonight to have on hand for tomorrow.  Alaska runneth over with zucchini right now so zoodles are happening.  Congrats to all on a successful day 1!  

IMG_3550.JPG

12 hours ago, SnappySue said:

Anyone who's including their kids?

I have two kids - ages 11 & 13.  I'm going to try and incorporate the meals (dinners) as much as possible.  Have 1-2 of the same items, but then add to theirs (they like their carbs).  Good luck!

@Kdog777 and all . . .

Well, I already feel like we are bonded. I had the exact same dinner that you did item by item!!! And while I don't smoke, my big obstacle in this plan is going to be finding an alternative and healthy solution to that glass of wine that I would typically have alongside dinner preparation for my husband and I.  We are both in the wine business and have grown up in a culture of wine enjoyment and that makes this a little bit more challenging for me.     

I just read the daily email and it recommended looking for triggers to your unhealthy habits and have solutions waiting.  My triggers are meal prep and socializing with friends.  The socializing part is easy enough to curtail in favor of this plan but meal prep, let's face it, is unavoidable. We love to cook and cooking is a fun and involved process in our home. We've been cooking and eating clean for about two years. And, while I started that "clean journey" by giving up wine completely, over time I've gradually added back in a glass of wine or 2 while we work together in the kitchen.  As of yesterday that is over. 

Curious to know for those of you who are accustomed to a glass of wine (or other non-healthy drink like Diet Coke, etc.) with dinner what you're doing in its place. Thus far I can't find a compliant Kombucha as both of my go-to local brands have added cane sugar (shockingly!), but I'm still looking. Last night I had a nice glass of San Pellegrino with organic lime and that did the trick.  Just looking for other suggestions as these next few days unfold. Especially that dreaded "day 3" (tomorrow). 

The daily email also commented on the importance of the buddy system. As corny as this sounds, (and I know this from my other clean eating program), it is critical.  Just putting out there how much I appreciate the commitment that all of you were making and your willingness to collaborate openly and honestly through this journey.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
14 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

@Kdog777 and all . . 

Curious to know for those of you who are accustomed to a glass of wine (or other non-healthy drink like Diet Coke, etc.) with dinner what you're drinking.

Hey all! 

Congrats on a successful day 1! Yesterday was easy for me because I was so busy that I couldn't think about food. But, today I'm home all day and I am a serial snacker. I remember something Melissa H said somewhere... something like " you have to be connected to one of the physiological/psychological benefits (not the scale) to be able to give you enough motivation to see it through". So every day, esp when the days get hard, I am going to stay connected to my reasons: Sometimes I feel completely out of control and I will over-indulge, then feel guilty, then depressed, then eat again. Not anymore, I am going to get freedom. 

Sara, I love to put a sparkling water in a fancy glass and I find just having a beverage (compliant beverage) seems to work great! 

Remember yesterday was the "no big deal/what have I done". Today and tomorrow= THE HANGOVER

we can do it!! I love the accountability.❤❤

11 minutes ago, MelissaSue said:

sparkling water in a fancy glass 

What a fantastic idea!  I bought some flavored LeCroix.  That's a compliant drink, too.  The fancy glass with make it extra special though! =)

Tonight I'm going to the movies with some friends - first social outing.  Going to bring part of my dinner - a bag of nuts + some dried crunchy Asian pears.  ("Crispy Green" brand).

So far I don't have any 'hangover'.  I'm nervous for day 11 the most - when the novelty wears off.  But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

55 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

@Kdog777 and all . . .

Well, I already feel like we are bonded. I had the exact same dinner that you did item by item!!! And while I don't smoke, my big obstacle in this plan is going to be finding an alternative and healthy solution to that glass of wine that I would typically have alongside dinner preparation for my husband and I.  We are both in the wine business and have grown up in a culture of wine enjoyment and that makes this a little bit more challenging for me.     

I just read the daily email and it recommended looking for triggers to your unhealthy habits and have solutions waiting.  My triggers are meal prep and socializing with friends.  The socializing part is easy enough to curtail in favor of this plan but meal prep, let's face it, is unavoidable. We love to cook and cooking is a fun and involved process in our home. We've been cooking and eating clean for about two years. And, while I started that "clean journey" by giving up wine completely, over time I've gradually added back in a glass of wine or 2 while we work together in the kitchen.  As of yesterday that is over. 

Curious to know for those of you who are accustomed to a glass of wine (or other non-healthy drink like Diet Coke, etc.) with dinner what you're doing in its place. Thus far I can't find a compliant Kombucha as both of my go-to local brands have added cane sugar (shockingly!), but I'm still looking. Last night I had a nice glass of San Pellegrino with organic lime and that did the trick.  Just looking for other suggestions as these next few days unfold. Especially that dreaded "day 3" (tomorrow). 

The daily email also commented on the importance of the buddy system. As corny as this sounds, (and I know this from my other clean eating program), it is critical.  Just putting out there how much I appreciate the commitment that all of you were making and your willingness to collaborate openly and honestly through this journey.

Hey Sara, thanks for the post. Congrats on all of our Day 2 beginning!!! I had last night's dinner for breakfast with half a banana. (I didn't have time to make some eggs this morning) poor time management today. For lunch I'm going to Proteins and Greens for my sister's birthday. I called ahead yesterday and found that they have items that are compliant. They were so nice to answer my questions too. (I had a few, lol). Dinner tonight is a slow cooker brisket with cremini mushrooms, onions and beef bone broth with spices. Plan to prep a cabbage slaw tonight so that I can have that with some brisket for lunch and breakfast can be some green goddess chicken with a couple poached eggs. 

Yes, not having the wine was definitely an odd change. I didn't freak out though surprising enough. I have been changing my liquids up though. I bought silicone ice cube trays. They hold 6 cubes so I mean big. I chop up strawberries, blueberries, orange, lemon, lime (or use any fruit or citrus' you like) I put them in the trays add water and every morning I have flavored water. Best part is I can refill my glass (I use a mason jar as my glass with a straw) at least 5-6 times and still have flavor. If I feel like bubbles I drink perrier. They have several flavors and are all compliant. Even Dasani now has sparkling waters that are compliant. 

I appreciate all of you as I do have support but, there are those that say I'll never make it. I guess that's part my fault as I have attempted to quit smoking before and failed. But, I really want it this time so I'll keep on truckin'. People here don't understand the program and judge without having the knowledge. So I will try and not let them get me down and continue to post here with you guys to keep things positive!

I'll check in later. Please post how things are going for you too. It can be inspiring and informative to all of us. Let's rock on everyone!!!

2 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

Hey Sara, thanks for the post. Congrats on all of our Day 2 beginning!!! I had last night's dinner for breakfast with half a banana. (I didn't have time to make some eggs this morning) poor time management today. For lunch I'm going to Proteins and Greens for my sister's birthday. I called ahead yesterday and found that they have items that are compliant. They were so nice to answer my questions too. (I had a few, lol). Dinner tonight is a slow cooker brisket with cremini mushrooms, onions and beef bone broth with spices. Plan to prep a cabbage slaw tonight so that I can have that with some brisket for lunch and breakfast can be some green goddess chicken with a couple poached eggs. 

Yes, not having the wine was definitely an odd change. I didn't freak out though surprising enough. I have been changing my liquids up though.

2 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

Yes, not having the wine was definitely an odd change. I didn't freak out though surprising enough. I have been changing my liquids up though. I bought silicone ice cube trays. They hold 6 cubes so I mean big. I chop up strawberries, blueberries, orange, lemon, lime (or use any fruit or citrus' you like) I put them in the trays add water and every morning I have flavored water. Best part is I can refill my glass (I use a mason jar as my glass with a straw) at least 5-6 times and still have flavor. If I feel like bubbles I drink perrier. They have several flavors and are all compliant. Even Dasani now has sparkling waters that are compliant. 

I appreciate all of you as I do have support but, there are those that say I'll never make it. I guess that's part my fault as I have attempted to quit smoking before and failed. But, I really want it this time so I'll keep on truckin'. People here don't understand the program and judge without having the knowledge. So I will try and not let them get me down and continue to post here with you guys to keep things positive!

I'll check in later. Please post how things are going for you too. It can be inspiring and informative to all of us. Let's rock on everyone!!!

I LOVE LOVE the idea of the chopped fruits in ice!!!  Thanks!!!  And, the mason jar idea! Thanks for sharing.  I'll stay engaged all throughout.  It's my support system - that and my amazing family . . . altho' my kids are adults and my husband travels so this is so helpful to fill those time-gaps!!!

I am hungry - like stomach churning hungry!  Had two servings of Fritatta and 1/2 cup of strawberries with a cup of organic coffee for breakfast so that should be plenty of food til lunch time.  I've been drinking water ALL morning.  My stomach is literally growling so loud people around me at work are looking!  Ugh.  Here we go. Ideas other than go back to bed which I can't do but am tempted!

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

I am hungry - like stomach churning hungry!  Had two servings of Fritatta and 1/2 cup of strawberries with a cup of organic coffee for breakfast so that should be plenty of food til lunch time.  I've been drinking water ALL morning.  My stomach is literally growling so loud people around me at work are looking!  Ugh.  Here we go. Ideas other than go back to bed which I can't do but am tempted!

You have no fat with your meal... that's probably why you're starving... fat must always be included :)

@SugarcubeOD Good to know!  I forgot that about the fat as well.

@Sara Cameron-Ragazzo - they say you can add snacks in between, especially in the beginning as your body is getting adjusted.  I find apples fill me up; maybe some veggies + guacamole?  If you really want to stay away from food, though, maybe try warm tea?  Good luck!  I'm counting my minutes down until lunch.  I'm hoping this obsession with food is one of the things I'll lose after 30 days.  I think it's worse now that I can't have any.  I'm sure I'll get used to it? =)

• Moderators
Just now, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

I have a really stupid question . . . how do you use the "+" sign and the "Quote" feature?  I can't seem to reply to anyone's post without typing their name with the "@" symbol.  hmmmm.

Just hit the Quote word below the post you want to quote... if you want to quote multiples, use the plus sign on all the ones that you want to quote and then at the bottom right of the screen when you're done a little box will pop up

9 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Just hit the Quote word below the post you want to quote... if you want to quote multiples, use the plus sign on all the ones that you want to quote and then at the bottom right of the screen when you're done a little box will pop up

Haha.  I was impressed with the @ sign you were using.  It took me awhile to figure that one out!!  

And when you quote, you can just go in and delete the part of quote you don't want.  

Look how much we're all learning! LOL... 

1 hour ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Yes fat and maybe additional veggies?  Pan fat isn't enough. Avocado, a little side salad with olive oil, carrots dipped in mayo... And don't torture yourself if your meals aren't perfectly sized to start!  Have a few bites of protein and fat.  Keep some tuna or hard boiled eggs,  a small jar of mayo if there's a fridge, an avocado.  The growler is a pretty good clue but I always use the poached fish and steamed broccoli test to determine whether I really need a snack. 

As for me, I have a new experience this morning I haven't seen on the timeline. I'm calling it whole30 placebo effect!  I woke up on my own, rested, happy and snappy this morning on day 2, excited to face the world.  Very tiger blood-esque, not Day 2 typical. What the heck is this about?!? Guess I'll go with it.  Not hungry though. Eating within an hour of waking is a struggle for me and always one of the first things I let slide when I'm not 30ing.  Good day all!  Sounds like many/most of you are ahead of me in your days. 

Archived