No noticeable changes

Hi,

I'm on day 18 of my first Whole 30. I've been anxiously looking forward to the "Tiger Blood" stage, but have been pretty disappointed so far. I really haven't noticed many changes at all. Some days I feel as though my clothes may be a little looser, but definitely nothing dramatic so far.

I will say that I was probably about 75% compliant to Whole 30 before I started. I rarely ate grains, but did have dairy (mostly cheese) and deserts (Ice cream) from time to time. I'm lucky enough to have a farm nearby that raises grass-fed beef, and other natural pasture meats and eggs, so I was already mostly eating those.

My biggest changes have been no refined sugar, dairy, and basically no eating at restaurants. I'm not severely overweight, but I could easily lose 10-15 lbs. (No, I haven't weighed myself since I started!)

So, I woke up this morning feeling really tired. So tired that I couldn't push myself through my normal workout. I slept pretty well last night. I guess I'm just feeling discouraged now. I'm eating tons of vegetables, most days limiting myself to 1-2 servings of fruit, and staying very compliant to the whole program, but I haven't seen any of the benefits yet. Am I expecting too much? I guess I was so ready for this energy surge and clarity, that I'm just really discouraged right now.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Administrators

Hard to say without knowing specifically what you've been eating. List out a couple typical days of food intake including portions relating to the template, specific veggie types/quantities, water intake, exercise, pre and post workout food, sleep habits and stress. Also include any underlying medical conditions you may have.

My typical breakfast usually involves about 3 eggs, some veggies or avocado (varies depending on what I have available), and sometimes a small serving of fruit. This morning I made the spinach frittata, which I have done a couple times since starting.

Lunch is usually leftovers, many times made into a salad and an apple or another more portable fruit. I would say it is always a palm-sized serving of protein and plenty of vegetables, which again vary depending on what I have on-hand.

Last night for dinner, I made a large salad with greens, asparagus, beets, tomatoes, balsamic and olive oil, and a few olives. I had at least a palm-sized portion of pulled pork. I also had a grapefruit (odd combo, but I love grapefruit) and a few cashews.

That is pretty typical. I haven't eaten a lot between meals, but if I do, it's usually a few nuts (palm full or less) or a "Chomps" type meat stick.

Honestly, food-wise, this really hasn't been too difficult. I am used to eating more between meals, which I've definitely reduced and am more conscious of. I will finish the 30 days, I'm absolutely sure. I may even extend it to 45 if I'm concerned I haven't seen any real changes. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm not doing that I should be to see the changes. My biggest fear was that I would get to the end of this and not see any real changes.

Thanks for responding!

I finished 30 days and started reintros today and I saw virtually no changes. No weight loss and no real nsv's. Either the w30 does not benefit people some specific set of people noticeably,  OR said people need more time than 30 days. I am assuming the latter is true of me although I don't have medical conditions, and I will be continuing with reintros until I see something. But I am continuing with the adjusted expectation that it is entirely possible that for some people there just will be no noticeable effects. 

I forgot to add a few more things that were asked. I have no known medical issues. I have suspected possible thyroid issues just because my metabolism seems really slow, but I am on no medications. My exercise used to be running 3-4 days a week, but a bad knee has halted that. Now I will cycle 3-4 days a week. I also do yoga on some days. If I cycle, I may have a hard-boiled egg or two before, and more eggs or sometimes a compliant RX Bar after.

As far as the vegetables I eat, it varies some, but spinach and greens are probably most prevalent, followed by asparagus, kale, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini and spaghetti squash.

I really don't keep track of water, but I drink it regularly throughout the day.

As far as sleep, I normally get 7-8 hours a night. It's pretty unusual that I don't get at least 7.

For every action there is a reaction.

For every action there is a corresponding over-reaction. Or not.

Find the greater purpose for doing a Whole 30.  It is an elimination protocol of 30 days. Eliminating foods that cause digestive distress or allergies. Foods are reintroduced one at a time to determine which foods are or are not tolerated well.

It can change a relationship with food by healing the enteric nervous system in the gut. The appetite control center is located in the brain.

The neurotransmitters in the gut send chemical messages back and forth to the brain. They trigger digestive enzymes, hormones and inflammatory responses.

If your satiety cues are broken from constant dieting, you may not have the gut/brain connection working in perfect harmony.

It doesn't matter if you lost a single pound or even gained. Overrestrictors and dieters will/may gain weight simply because they started eating food. It doesn't matter if you don't have any food sensitivities or allergies or inflammatory responses to food. Be happy about that.

But for every action there is a reaction.

Physical. Mental. Spiritual.   Body. Mind. Spirit.

The scale which is a total mind warp may not reflect anything. Your beginning and ending measurements. Ditto. 

Spiritually, something did happen. You were able to complete a 30 day food elimination protocol without throwing the towel in.  This, whether you can see it or feel it...is a spiritual muscle that will grow stronger with use.

This action that you did if you follow through with a Reintro can swing the mountain of momentum the other way.  This Whole 30 that you've completed created some new cognitive behaviors in your brain...regardless if you can't see one scale victory.

This Whole 30 that you've completed increased your tolerance and indifference for cravings and food rewards that will only dig a much deeper hole.

Your spiritual muscles that you can't see grow stronger with use. Don't throw them away by allowing your weight, only one data point to diminish their power.

Archived