Weight lifting and Whole30

Pat_on_Tap

Hello everyone!

Whole30 enjoyer, first time forum writer. I did the whole30 from January-March. During that time I was introducing my workout routine to heavier weights and, thought feeling great, was struggling. I broke out of the whole30 in April and really enjoyed a lot of progress in my weight lifting. The protein supplements that are not whole30 approved seem to give my body a boost better than the approved. Unfortunately I completely fell off the band wagon and began to eat utter junk again (I stopped going to the local Taco Bell because the cashier new me by my first name).

I feel awful and restarted the Whole30 again yesterday (8/1/2017) and want to continue that diet for as long as I'm able (sans the occasional social event), but I love lifting and don't see that great of results when partaking in this diet. Does anyone have any advice? I really want to tighten my (figurative) belt here calorie, carb and jiggly stomach wise.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning from you!

Best,
Pat

Hi Kirkor,

Most weekdays are pretty static:

Breakfast- two eggs with hot sauce

Lunch- salad with chicken breast OR chicken with a veggie

Dinner- a meat, sweet potatoes and veggies

Weekends are a bit of a wild card but generally follow the above list. I like to cook new things and love following the whole30 recipes on stupideasypaleo.com when I have the time.

I haven't paid too much attention to portion sizes if that is related.

• Moderators

I'm sure Kirkor can weigh in more on the weight-lifting related stuff, but it looks to me like you may be not eating enough.

When eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand. I'm a 5'4 female, and that's 3-4 for me. I would be very surprised if it's less then 3 for any adult. 

At every meal, include 1-2 of the fat servings listed on the meal template, generally in addition to the fat you've cooked in, as that often stays in the pan and isn't actually consumed.

The meal template also specifies to "fill your plate with vegetables" -- bare minimum, that's one cup, but truly it's closer to 2-3 cups. Every meal. Even breakfast. Salads are not always very filling unless you go out of your way to make sure they're more than just a handful or two of leafy greens. Be sure you're adding heartier vegetables to the salads or having them alongside the chicken and salad.

Also, you haven't listed any pre- and post-workout meals here. Pre-workout is most important if you're working out first thing in the morning, or if it's been several hours since your last meal when you work out, and it should be protein and fat. So, a hard boiled egg with some mayo, or some chicken and avocado. You'll have to figure out what works for you. Post-WO, have at least some lean protein shortly after working out, and optionally add some starchy vegetables. So chicken breast and sweet potato are a popular option.

Pre- and post-WO meals are in addition to your three meals a day.

Also be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz -- and be sure you salt your food to taste.

Thank you very much for the in-depth explanation. I'll be sure to maintain my portion sizes. Regarding Pre and Post workout, I will usually be eating two of these guys before a workout:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/12/31/paleo-pizza-egg-muffins/

But if it's an AM work out I just have two eggs. Post workout I normally just have a protein shake, so I will definitely be trying out some lean protein made for early post workout breakfasts. Since I usually work out in the mornings, I think I'm starting to look at two breakfasts (like a hobbit!).

I limit my portion sizes because I really want to lose my belly fat. I think that's why I bounce back and forth with the whole30 and my weight; I lose the weight quickly but I gain it back quickly once I finish the whole30. I realize that's not what the program is about, but it sincerely helps out with burning my fat and I love that part. The combination of this diet, lifting weights and light cardio do wonders.

I'll focus on appropriate portion sizes, but as somebody who is overweight I'll have to be disciplined not over eat.

Lifting weights and doing cardio while undereating can indeed accelerate fat loss, but you can end up miserable in the process.  As the Confucius saying goes, "Man who chases two rabbits catches neither" --- if you want good performance in the gym you need to eat to support it.

I saw a licensed dietician and will be adhering to a strict macro count whilst lifting moving forward. The goal of the visit was not to burn out, and she gave me some great tips regarding eating right so I'm very excited.

Thank you both very much for your input! This is my first post on the forum and I'm excited to continue using this as a resource!

Archived