What derails you?

What is most tempting to you when you are on a Whole30?

- For me, it's chocolate.

What contributes the strongest to swaying you to cheat?

- STRESS!!!!

I'm curious what these answers are for everyone. Thanks for sharing.

When i'm in my groove, I'm not tempted by much. I live in a house full of varying diets. I've been paleo for 8-9 months, W30 for about five weeks (except one screw up day)... my wife has been paleo / primal for the most part for 5 months, one son and daughter are gluten free but still eating gluten free junk... two kids are still eating SAD.

I totally agree that STRESS is the biggest factor when I lose focus. When that happens, I'm usually tempted most by paleo treats such as dark chocolate, nut butters, coconut butter, higher glycemic index fruits, etc. That leads to a slippery slope and I start justifying more things like ice cream, etc.

If I keep things pretty well dialed in, I can be around tempting junk food without issue... but once I step across to the dark side of food, I have a much harder time reigning myself in. I need to learn to ride my own bike, including actually using the brakes before I pull some stunt and say 'Look ma, no hands!!'

- Alcohol alone. I can deal with all other temptations but after just the right stressful day, I crave a cocktail and happy hour like nothing else. I sometimes I wonder if it's the alcohol or the sugar since I love sugary gimlets but either way, it's the only thing that makes me feel like slipping.

- Stress coupled with being unprepared. If it's a long day and I'm spent and angry at the world and I roll in at 8pm if there's not something to eat in the house that is super tasty then I can really easily convince myself it's a good night for a cocktail and slice of pizza out somewhere.

For me its social events.. pot lucks where people bring delicious desserts, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, cheescakes, etc, that i normally dont keep around me at all! it doesnt even get into the house..

I usually try to eat before i go so im not hungry, but everyone congregates around the kitchen island/ table where all the junk is and its SO hard to stay away.

Also, looking like a doofus at the bar when going out with friends b/c i cant even drink a soda.

cysgr8, club soda + mint + lime in a rocks glass. Looks like a mojito, totally delicious and totally whole30 compliant.

I've also been known to mix in some coconut milk at home, and *shhhhhh* some vanilla rum :)

One of the most interesting parallels that I have noticed with going Whole30/Whole9 is how similar this is to when my wife and I had to take control of our finances 6 years ago. Much like how we spent money, our nutrition was really death by a 1000 paper cuts. We didn't get ourselves into or out of financial trouble with huge shifts like no longer buying expensive jewelry or cars, because we already weren't doing that. Instead we did it by being mindful of the little things like buying a bunch of food that spoiled, because we ate out too much or by buying small things like books, movies, videogames, etc.

So the reason I make that comparison, was because in terms of keeping my large meals of the day on-track during and post Whole30 that part was really easy. What I found was difficult were the bad habits like mid-afternoon snacks of whatever was in the breakroom at work (usually baked goods or cookies), or wandering by a table at a social event of treats.

However, what was the most insidious was the really bad habit I picked up of buying some kind of junk food at the grocery store to gnosh on in the car on the way home. Those damn hostess fruit pies still look at me cross-eyed from time to time when I am getting frozen veggies for back-up. Same with the candy bar display at check out. What I had to learn on the Whole30 was how that one "small" cheat could undo an entire day of appropriate nutrition and that calories=calories is no longer true for me.

. . . oh and good alcohol is still tough. My brother-in-law left beer in the fridge and I have quit beer except on special occasions and that has given me the stink-eye as well a few times when getting something good out of the fridge.

Just like Johnny--I can handle stress (to an extent) but it's the combination of stress and lack of preparation that does me in. I am on a very limited budget, so while I could run by the sushi place and pick up some sashimi to deal with lack of prep, that is only an option in the most dire circumstances. One thing I try to do is make a big crock pot full of something and freeze a few portions. If I realize I'm headed into a stressful time, I throw a few in the fridge to defrost. They aren't the most exciting meals but definitely help so at least I have good food available, even if my stress wants me to throw caution to the wind and eat a whole bunch of chocolate.

Alicia, can you share some whole 30 crock pot recipes? I don't want to hijack the thread but maybe you can post a thread in the cooking section or message me :) I woul really enjoy having some crock pot recipes since that was my go to in the past ...

Alicia, can you share some whole 30 crock pot recipes? I don't want to hijack the thread but maybe you can post a thread in the cooking section or message me :) I woul really enjoy having some crock pot recipes since that was my go to in the past ...

I started a new thread here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/519-favorite-slow-cooker-recipes/

I only added two recipes for the time being, but the Crockpot has infinite possibilities! Using a low and slow cooking method will basically leave you with tender, juicy meat even from budget cuts. I freeze portions into "tv dinners" along with some cooked vegetables so I can thaw them in those difficult moments of stress. Please add your favorite crockpot recipes to that thread as you find them!

- Dessert, even with W30 approved ingredients (i.e. bananas, frozen cherries drizzled with coconut butter), not a bad choice in itself but over-indulging or using it to feed a sweet craving...ugh.

- Boredom and Habit (we must have dessert after dinner, right?).

• 1 month later...

Loneliness - my husband and I are apart a minimum of two days (and nights :( because he has partial custody of his 16-year-old son)

Ice cream is my drug of choice. I can spend many happy hours at work just dreaming about buying ice cream on the way home and then eating it...

Archived