Destroyed by eggs

jayzee

I'm being a little dramatic here but not eating eggs is killing me! I did Whole30 in November of last year. I made it about 3 weeks when :::look away now if you don't want to read about poop because I'm about to talk about poop a  lot:::: I didn't have a solid poop for a week! I read here it might be too much fruit, I cut back, no change. I finally got frustrated and stopped Whole30. My poop went back to normal immediately. SOLID! Then :::duh duh duuunnn::: I ate an egg and boom, back in poopville. Stomach ache, diarrhea, the works! No more eggs, no more poops. Then some holiday rolled around and there were deviled eggs for the taking, I ate one.....ok, I ate four and on the toilet I went. Fast forward to a road trip to San Diego a couple weekends ago. I had hollandaise sauce for brunch. We were to hit the road after our lovely brunch to drive the 6 hours back....Let's just say there were a lot of stops on the way back. 

What gives? Has anyone else developed an egg sensitivity during whole30? I have never ever ever had a problem with eggs until whole30. 

I'm so sad. 

Broken hearted. 

I want eggs back! 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, jayzee said:

I'm being a little dramatic here but not eating eggs is killing me! I did Whole30 in November of last year. I made it about 3 weeks when :::look away now if you don't want to read about poop because I'm about to talk about poop a  lot:::: I didn't have a solid poop for a week! I read here it might be too much fruit, I cut back, no change. I finally got frustrated and stopped Whole30. My poop went back to normal immediately. SOLID! Then :::duh duh duuunnn::: I ate an egg and boom, back in poopville. Stomach ache, diarrhea, the works! No more eggs, no more poops. Then some holiday rolled around and there were deviled eggs for the taking, I ate one.....ok, I ate four and on the toilet I went. Fast forward to a road trip to San Diego a couple weekends ago. I had hollandaise sauce for brunch. We were to hit the road after our lovely brunch to drive the 6 hours back....Let's just say there were a lot of stops on the way back. 

What gives? Has anyone else developed an egg sensitivity during whole30? I have never ever ever had a problem with eggs until whole30. 

I'm so sad. 

Broken hearted. 

I want eggs back! 

Well that sucks!  The short answer is yes, you can develop a sensitivity to anything you eat in abundance... you probably weren't eating that many eggs before Whole30 (assuming since you said when you stopped and went back to 'normal' it resolved).  Some people have a lifetime limit of foods and if they overdo it, this happens... I know my sister and her husband had to go on an egg moritorium for a long time because it was causing problems - me, I sometimes eat eggs at every meal and have never had a problem (fingers crossed).  It totally sucks but there ARE other things to eat besides eggs... give all egg products a rest for a while (like months...) and then maybe test something like mayo when you have the opportunity to stay around the house should it go bad for you.  If that's okay, test scrambled eggs over hard boiled etc... you may end up being able to eat mayo or an egg occassionally but it might become one of your 'worth it' things.

I'm sorry this is happening.  You might google 'whole30 egg sensitivity' and see what comes up because I know this has been talked about before. :) 

With eggs they are often tolerated better when cooked in something (cake tends to be the 'Go To' one for trials) rather than when eaten on their own, or eaten raw as they would be in mayo. This is because the proteins are altered when heated & other ingredients added. The protocol would be to leave it another 8wks before each trial, allowing the gut to fully heal each time.

You may or may not find that eventually you'll be able to eat them again, sorry!

In the meantime there are least some eggless mayo recipes out there which may be of some help...

Archived