Coconut Products = Gas?

Hello W30ers! My husband and I are on Day 30 of my fifth and his third Whole30. We're looking for some feedback on an issue he has had for the ENTIRE Whole30 - stinky, stinky, persistent gas. At first, we thought his body was adjusting, then we thought maybe it was something specific he was eating but it's hard to know because IT'S BEEN HERE THE WHOLE TIME. I really expected it to resolve by the end, but here we are. White potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, eggs, chicken, and beef are the most common players in our house (as in, he probably didn't go a single day without eating most of those things) but we didn't think any of them would cause gas. We noticed it get MUCH worse after eating these spinach + artichoke stuffed potatoes, which do have a bit of coconut cream in them, which we made the same week as this white chicken chili (also coconut cream). Because coconut water has given him diarrhea in the past, my husband thinks the coconut is likely the culprit, as we cook sweet potatoes and lots of other things with coconut oil and use coconut milk in some recipes.

Does anyone know if this is a common side effect of coconut products? Would the oil affect him the same way as the cream? Any suggestions on coconut cream substitutes if we find this is the case?

The only other culprit we've considered is the potatoes, as we realized three quarters of the way through we were overdoing it on those (gladly brought to our attention by my constipation* <_<) but he ate sweet potatoes pretty regularly prior and, as noted*, I figured white potatoes would have the opposite affect. 

Any ideas what the most likely culprit is? We'd like to keep eating this way, but this gas is nast. 

Thanks!

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, emilyelowe said:

Hello W30ers! My husband and I are on Day 30 of my fifth and his third Whole30. We're looking for some feedback on an issue he has had for the ENTIRE Whole30 - stinky, stinky, persistent gas. At first, we thought his body was adjusting, then we thought maybe it was something specific he was eating but it's hard to know because IT'S BEEN HERE THE WHOLE TIME. I really expected it to resolve by the end, but here we are. White potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, eggs, chicken, and beef are the most common players in our house (as in, he probably didn't go a single day without eating most of those things) but we didn't think any of them would cause gas. We noticed it get MUCH worse after eating these spinach + artichoke stuffed potatoes, which do have a bit of coconut cream in them, which we made the same week as this white chicken chili (also coconut cream). Because coconut water has given him diarrhea in the past, my husband thinks the coconut is likely the culprit, as we cook sweet potatoes and lots of other things with coconut oil and use coconut milk in some recipes.

Does anyone know if this is a common side effect of coconut products? Would the oil affect him the same way as the cream? Any suggestions on coconut cream substitutes if we find this is the case?

The only other culprit we've considered is the potatoes, as we realized three quarters of the way through we were overdoing it on those (gladly brought to our attention by my constipation* <_<) but he ate sweet potatoes pretty regularly prior and, as noted*, I figured white potatoes would have the opposite affect. 

Any ideas what the most likely culprit is? We'd like to keep eating this way, but this gas is nast. 

Thanks!

Coconut products can indeed cause digestive upset.  Coconut oil would probably be an outlier to the coconut=gas issue for you guys but I think maybe removing all coconut now for a bit to reset might be a good idea... he could have just reached his tolerance on it so now even the oil bugs him.  I once ate an entire pint container of fresh young coconut at work one day and I could have rented myself out to strip paint off people's walls... 

• Administrators

Coconut products give my husband horrible digestion. He's not normally a stinky pooper but coconut destroys him....and subsequently our bedroom, hallway, main floor of our house. You get me? LOL!

Archived