paleopina

Hello,  I'd like to try out Laird Superfood's creamer.  It's dairy-free and unsweetened.  It's ingredients are:  coconut milk powder, Aquamin (calcium from marine algae), organice extra virgin coconut oil and organic red palm oil.  Is Aquamin Whole30 approved?

Here's the product description from the site:

https://lairdsuperfood.com/collections/all-products/products/laird-superfood-unsweetened-original-creamer-new

Thanks.

• Administrators

Based on the fact that this item is extracted from the same red seaweed as is carrageenan, I would not consume this product. Carrageenan is extremely disruptive to the gut.

Although derived from a natural source, it appears to be particularly destructive to the digestive system, triggering an immune response similar to that your body has when invaded by pathogens like Salmonella. The result: “It predictably causes inflammation...." more at Wellness Mama

I will reach out to Melissa and get a ruling on this but in the meantime if I were you I would avoid.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2017 at 11:07 AM, ladyshanny said:

Based on the fact that this item is extracted from the same red seaweed as is carrageenan, I would not consume this product. Carrageenan is extremely disruptive to the gut.

Although derived from a natural source, it appears to be particularly destructive to the digestive system, triggering an immune response similar to that your body has when invaded by pathogens like Salmonella. The result: “It predictably causes inflammation...." more at Wellness Mama

I will reach out to Melissa and get a ruling on this but in the meantime if I were you I would avoid.

@ladyshanny Has there been any official word on this product, yet? Looking for info to guide our FB group. Thanks!

• Administrators

Actually yes. 

Melissa's reply: Carrageenan is a specific processed additive from algae, whereas this stuff appears to be totally different. Plus even if it was similar, we're not making a specific ruling against all algae as that would rule out vegan omega-3 supplementation. So tell her it's fine.

6 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Actually yes. 

Melissa's reply: Carrageenan is a specific processed additive from algae, whereas this stuff appears to be totally different. Plus even if it was similar, we're not making a specific ruling against all algae as that would rule out vegan omega-3 supplementation. So tell her it's fine.

THANK YOU!! :)

• 1 year later...

Aquamin in Laird’s creamer is Calcium, according to the ingredients list, and is a mineral and an element. (Remember the periodic table of elements from Chemistry?) Carrageenan is a polysaccharide which is a bunch of elements, or compound.

i wonder if the creamer can froth. Probably not but maybe adding a little starch like tapioca would allow it to froth.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kiai said:

Aquamin in Laird’s creamer is Calcium, according to the ingredients list, and is a mineral and an element. (Remember the periodic table of elements from Chemistry?) Carrageenan is a polysaccharide which is a bunch of elements, or compound.

i wonder if the creamer can froth. Probably not but maybe adding a little starch like tapioca would allow it to froth.

Lairds does not froth.... it also doesn't actually 'cream' coffee, it just makes it kind of cloudy....

• 11 months later...

I have read the posts about Aquamin in the Laird Super Food and Melissa has noted, very recently, that it is NOT carrageenan so it is OK. I enjoy the creamer for my coffee and would like to know if not just the ingredients, but rather the habit of adding creamer is OK? Additionally, is substituting the Lairs Hydrate drink for energy/sport drinks an OK substitute? I enjoy 2-5 hour bike rides and need something to keep my electrolytes in balance. I like coconut water also, but it is considerably more expensive.  

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Viking2 said:

but rather the habit of adding creamer is OK

Yes, definitely ok!

If the Laird's Hydrate drink is compliant then go ahead but definitely check the ingredients because it seems hard to believe it wouldn't have a sweetener of some sort in it...

• 1 year later...

Archived