Sun dried tomatoes


Alex_Fedorov

Recommended Posts

Hi

I am confused with idea of sugar-free diet and some allowed products like dates that have sugar.

How do I know when product with sugar is allowed or not?

For example Tassos Sun dried tomatoes - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/tassos-sundried-tomatoes-524894074

This product has sugar in it, is it allowed for W30? How can I answer such questions in future?

Also some Tassos products have vine vinegar, so vine is an alcohol  but vinegar is fine?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Babsie95 is right, you'll need to check the ingredients. In addition to sugar, watch for sulfites -- it might say potassium metabisulfite or sulphur dioxide. They're often added to dried fruits and vegetables to preserve the color.

Vinegar is fine, even if it's made from wine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 2017-09-20 at 4:11 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Babsie95 is right, you'll need to check the ingredients. In addition to sugar, watch for sulfites -- it might say potassium metabisulfite or sulphur dioxide. They're often added to dried fruits and vegetables to preserve the color.

Vinegar is fine, even if it's made from wine. 

Darn. My sun-dried tomatoes have sulphur dioxide in them. Off to the store I go... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
32 minutes ago, BKA said:

Darn. My sun-dried tomatoes have sulphur dioxide in them. Off to the store I go... 

I have a heck of a time finding compliant ones, and mostly just skip them on Whole30. Remember to check for both dried varieties and the ones in jars or cans packed in oil, there could be differences in ingredients.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I have a heck of a time finding compliant ones, and mostly just skip them on Whole30. Remember to check for both dried varieties and the ones in jars or cans packed in oil, there could be differences in ingredients.

They all had sulphites (to preserve colour). I went with roasted red pepper in my omelet instead :-D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, hcarterva said:

Looks like Mezzetta Sun-Ripened Dried Tomatoes are compliant - am I wrong? Extra Virgin olive oil, dried tomatoes, water, garlic,  spices, citric acid, rosemary extract.

 

sun dried tomatoes.png

Totally fine!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.