Night time eating

Okay, I don't know if this technically qualifies as a medical condition, but this seemed to be the most suited place to post this.

I'm pretty new here (I'm on day 1 of my whole30 today, but the past 3 days I have been eating as if I were on the whole30, except for 1 vodka and soda and 1 coffee w/ cream). I was already eating primal 90% of the time before hand so this wasn't a big change for me, except eliminating dairy. I actually feel really good. Only one problem.....

Night Eating... now this isn't eating before bed... i'm fine there I can resist a snack etc this is eating about 1 or 2am after I have gone to bed. I go to sleep and then wake up and come out and eat something, it varies in quantity and its generally always something fatty/high calorie (think peanut butter/cream/fizzy drink) as i'm doing whole30 the only carbs we have are vege form and raw at 1am. This isn't a new thing for me, it has happened ever since I was about 14 or so and i'm now 22. I have been able to stop for short periods of time, but it always starts happening again.

>I also have type 1 diabetes & celiac disease

>Now, I know I should not skip breakfast so I have a big breakfast each day,

>I also don't keep things in the house that shouldn't be eating (like donuts/cookies etc). The only reason for pb/fizzy is my bf likes them and in the day time, I never feel tempted by these things anyway.

>Also this happens generally no matter how much I ate during the day, unless I've really pigged out.

I'm assuming its something to do with hormone levels, but I don't know what to do... does anybody have any advice for me (excluding telling me any of the things I have written above that I already do please!!)

Have you done any research on the internet about this? I know that it is a type of eating disorder. If I wake up in the night, I eat whatever is around. Now that I sleep a lot better, I don't do this, but I know exactly what you are struggling with as I am unstoppable if I wake up at 2 am. Look up "night eating disorder" and see what you get.

• Moderators

Are you waking up hungry or just waking up and eating? If you are hungry, the answer probably lies in the direction of eating better all day long. If you just wake up and eat out of habit or boredom, the answer is more complicated.

I used to wake up hungry and have to eat something at 2 or 3 AM regularly. At first I tried to fix the problem by eating a really big meal 2 hours before I went to bed. I discovered, however, that eating big at my last meal could not make up for not eating enough throughout the day. When I began eating big meals 3 or 4 times per day, I got to where I could make it through the night without getting hungry.

When I wake up early in the morning and want to eat something, I often have a can of sardines. Now I eat sardines regularly, but they are not comfort food. You might consider making any middle of the night eating a protein/fat heavy meal.

I've never heard of anyone besides me who does this! But my quirk is bananas. If there's bananas in the house, I'll eat them all in the middle of the night. I'm half asleep and I can't control it. I hardly notice it until I'm done. Hunger has nothing to do with it.

I just make sure everyone hides any bananas they have. Problem solved.

Thanks for the posts. I don't feel like such a freak now!

Aww thank you guys for the fast responses! I guess i'm not so unusual after all (and neither are you silk)... Hmmm yes tom, I suppose i am hungry when I wake up to eat because I use to leave out a can of tuna and I would eat that, and that's not something I would eat if I was comfort eating lol. I am going to try making my meals through-out the day bigger as-well, instead of just my evening meal. Thankyou!

Also ereiam, do you have any tips on sleeping better?? I would love to hear them!! I always wake up around 1 or 2 am even if I don't get up to eat.

• Moderators

Regarding sleep... Our bodies are sensitive to light, so sleeping in a totally dark room helps. Many people find that they sleep better in a cool room. Another trick is to take Natural Calm or another magnesium supplement at bed time. Magnesium has a mildly sedating effect. It is most useful for falling asleep, but may help you stay asleep too. Oh yeah, the light from electronic devices is stimulating. It is helpful to avoid computer screens, iPads, cell phones, and TV for an hour before bed. For me, I avoid caffeine almost all the time. Oh yeah, and no exercise for 2 to 3 hours before bed time. I get energized by training and it takes hours to calm down.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I never new one forum could be so helpful! :) I will have to try eliminating the tv etc for an hour or so before bed. I do usually sleep in a dark room though. and I always avoid caffiene lol even a coffee in the morning i find keeps me wired that evening!!!!

I was a terrible sleeper for years. I have bipolar disorder and after my doc explained to me how lack of sleep affects my mood (feeding mania which in turn feeds depression) I guard my sleep like a fire-breathing dragon. I don't look at screens for several hours before bed. I go to bed at the same time every night. I did something about my sleep apnea (mouthguard, losing 90 pounds) and got on a new depression med that makes me sleepy initially. Also, I have trained my family (husband and four kids) to LEAVE ME ALONE when I am trying to sleep. These days I sleep right through those nighttime eathing binges. If I do wake up it helps that I don't have any junk in my house anymore. If I do eat, it tends to be almonds or fruit which are at least W30 compliant.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

yay for turning off those screens! I'm an online teacher and so the screens tend to push the edge when I'm grading papers, but I aim for turning off screens at least a couple of hours before bed, if not at sunset. Good for you! There's nothing like good sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just want to thank everyone for all the suggestions on this thread, especially the one about making sure I am eating enough through-out the whole day. I was waking up almost every night before and this past month I would say I only got up to eat max about 5 times. This is a great improvement for me and I finally feel like I am breaking this annoying habit that was preventing me getting a good nights sleep and making me wake up feeling groggy and yuck.

I just wanted to say that I have struggled with this on and off for a long time, and find it to be especially true in the first week of a Whole 30. The three times I have done a Whole 30, this rears up with a vengeance in that first week. I am going to take the suggestions about black-out curtains to heart, and though I'm loathe to give up that morning coffee, I am warming up to the idea that I may just have to try. Thanks everyone for the posts.

I started sleeping with a eye mask on. The one I use also has ear muffs that block out ~50% of the noise. I also use an app on my Ipad with white noise. All of those things together = a good night's sleep.

For some reason, once I put my sleep mask on, my "busy brain" just shuts off and I fall asleep pretty easily.

I don't know - since I am a newbie - if I am allowed to post a link on the forums? I can direct you to the particular eye mask that I use, if I am allowed to.

• Moderators

I don't know - since I am a newbie - if I am allowed to post a link on the forums? I can direct you to the particular eye mask that I use, if I am allowed to.

It is okay to include a link to something you personally find useful as long as it really is a personal recommendation and not part of a business promotion. What you shared is completely appropriate.

Archived