Ideas for fish!

Queenbeejo

Starting whole30 in January and trying out some things now that I normally don't eat or like... Have discovered I really LOVE sweet potatoes lol. 

Another one on my list is fish. But I eat seafood.  I cannot do canned tuna because of that smell so let's stick with something else. What fish and recipie do you recommend me to ease into? I really want to expand my tastes. 

Thank you in advance for the suggestions. 

• Moderators

These are really good:   https://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

Tilapia doesn't have a very strong fishy flavor, so you might like it, you could follow this recipe, or just put a little olive oil, salt, and pepper on it and bake it at the temperature and time mentioned:   http://www.thepaleobabe.com/baked-lemon-herb-tilapia-recipe/

Hi Queenbeejo, I think they key with any seafood is buying fresh, not frozen (when possible). It means an extra trip to the grocery, but I have found that when fish is fresh, it really doesn't have that "fishy" smell that turns a lot of people away. For me, salmon fillets are my go to, and so delicious, even on their own. I particularly like to bake them in a cajun seasoning rub that I just make up myself. 

On 12/7/2017 at 8:27 AM, Queenbeejo said:

Starting whole30 in January and trying out some things now that I normally don't eat or like... Have discovered I really LOVE sweet potatoes lol. 

Another one on my list is fish. But I eat seafood.  I cannot do canned tuna because of that smell so let's stick with something else. What fish and recipie do you recommend me to ease into? I really want to expand my tastes. 

Salmon cakes are great! You could also make some fish tacos - look up some whole30 blackened fish spice rub recipes and cook some white fish in a cast iron if you have one. I use lettuce for my "taco" shell, and you could also use thinly sliced jicama. Add some mango salsa, coleslaw lime juice and avocado - so delicious and you won't even miss the tao shell :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Ohh that sounds good!!  

On 12/12/2017 at 2:50 PM, racheleats said:

Salmon cakes are great! You could also make some fish tacos - look up some whole30 blackened fish spice rub recipes and cook some white fish in a cast iron if you have one. I use lettuce for my "taco" shell, and you could also use thinly sliced jicama. Add some mango salsa, coleslaw lime juice and avocado - so delicious and you won't even miss the tao shell :) 

• Administrators
On 07/12/2017 at 5:27 AM, Queenbeejo said:

I used to really dislike "white fish" night at our house but I've found some recipes I really love that have turned that right around and now they are some of my favourites!

Cod + either a homemade or store-bought but compliant olive tapenade + fresh tomatoes. Mix the tapenade with some anchovie paste and spread over the cod. Top with tomatoes (halved cherry toms or sliced regular toms). Bake at 425 until the fish is done....around 12-15 minutes depending on how thick your fillets. This is SO good the next day mixed up w/ some homemade mayo as a sort of cod-salad. 

I have another recipe that we've been using a lot lately for white fish and I am completely blanking on it right now so I'll come back and update this later today when I get home. Day 2 Brain....no workie!

On 1/5/2018 at 10:30 AM, ladyshanny said:

I used to really dislike "white fish" night at our house but I've found some recipes I really love that have turned that right around and now they are some of my favourites!

Cod + either a homemade or store-bought but compliant olive tapenade + fresh tomatoes. Mix the tapenade with some anchovie paste and spread over the cod. Top with tomatoes (halved cherry toms or sliced regular toms). Bake at 425 until the fish is done....around 12-15 minutes depending on how thick your fillets. This is SO good the next day mixed up w/ some homemade mayo as a sort of cod-salad. 

I have another recipe that we've been using a lot lately for white fish and I am completely blanking on it right now so I'll come back and update this later today when I get home. Day 2 Brain....no workie!

Hi. This is my very first post. I was planning on creating an account however I had to when I saw your post. Cod is my favourite fish and if you can remember your recipe, I'd love to hear it. The recipe you gave sounds amazing so I imagine the other one must be mindblowing.

I'm on Day 4 of my first time doing Whole 30 and so far so good (headaches are gone).

I don't remember where I saw it but I found a recipe for white fish that was basically to use a compliant dijon mustard on it and then apply crushed compliant nuts and bake.  I've used macadamia and almond, both were great.  Super simple. 

My favorite go to fish meal is salmon.  I keep frozen fillets always on hand.  I sprinkle with lemon juice salt, pepper and dill with a drizzle of olive oil and either bake in the oven or grill on a cedar plank.  Quick,easy and yummy!

Archived