Excessive gas, I’m getting worried

Anniemarie

Hi, I have a rather embarrasing question. I am in my second round of Whole 30, I did my first round last month and plan to do it for 90 days. 

I know excessive gas is common with high fiber foods, but my gas problem seems to be getting much worse not better. I’ve been avoiding Brussels sprouts and other really high fiber vegetables but the problem seems to be unchanged. 

The gas is really really really bad. Like every five minutes and it’s loud and smelly. I also feel really bloated. I’ve been doing research and found that gut flora often needs time to adjust. But my question is, after 6 weeks on the whole 30 shouldn’t my flora have adjusted by now?! I’m very concerned that this problem won’t stop and I really don’t know what I’m going to do. I love the diet and feel so much healthier but I can’t keep it up if this awful side effect persists. 

• Moderators

Some gas and bloating early on is pretty normal, but yes, for most people, it would be settling down by now, although if it's an issue you've been dealing with for some time before Whole30, it could take longer to resolve, or might be indicative of an issue you need to talk to a doctor about.

If you're having carbonated beverages, definitely try cutting them out for a while and see if they help, they definitely cause issues for some people. If you're eating a lot of nuts and seeds, you might try switching to some other fat source instead for a while and see if that helps, as they can cause digestive issues for people.

It's also possible that there's something you're eating that is 100% okay on Whole30 that is just not agreeing with you. While cruciferous veggies like brussels sprouts, broccoli cauliflower, and cabbage often cause issues for people, there are other people who react to other foods. If there's something that you're eating a lot of that you weren't eating before -- like coconut products or avocados or something -- that might be a place to start. If you're really not sure, maybe read through this article about FODMAPS -- if you're eating a bunch of stuff from the red column on the chart part way down the page, you might be someone who doesn't react well to FODMAPS. If you need some help figuring things out, you're welcome to post a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes, water intake, exercise & pre- or post-WO foods, and we can see if something stands out. 

Archived