Pressure Cooker/Instant Pots

Janice Hansen

Hello Everyone,

I am starting my very first Whole 30 on January 1!  I am very excited...but feeling a little overwhelmed.  I love the idea of an electric pressure cooker.  I get home late in the day, and being able to cook a quick, healthy meal is very appealing to me.

I was hoping that I could get some advice as to what brand of instant pots you all are using.

Thanks!!

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Janice Hansen said:

Hello Everyone,

I am starting my very first Whole 30 on January 1!  I am very excited...but feeling a little overwhelmed.  I love the idea of an electric pressure cooker.  I get home late in the day, and being able to cook a quick, healthy meal is very appealing to me.

I was hoping that I could get some advice as to what brand of instant pots you all are using.

Thanks!!

You can google 'whole30 forum instant pot' and find many conversations including recommendations and recipes.

• Moderators

I can't remember if I ended up getting the 6 qt or 8 qt, but I have one of those sizes of this:  https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/duo-6-quart/  

I have never used any other pressure cooker, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I've been very happy with it. 

And somewhat off topic, I actually did a couple of Whole30s before I got this -- something that really helped me was making sure I did food prep over the weekend so I had food that only needed to be heated up during the week. Read through the weekly meal plans from Mel Joulwan (they're linked here), that's kind of how I would do my food prep. She also has some no recipe required ideas that show you how to take things you can easily have on hand, and combine them into tasty meals. Just something to consider if you don't quite get a pressure cooker before you get started.

• 10 months later...
  • This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.
I realize this is an old thread, but I keep running across these old discussions and finding I have suggestions or better info to offer

believe many people get quite excited about their Instant Pot, and it works well for what they're intending to do. That said, I bought and use non-electric pressure cooker, specifically the Fagor Duo 8-qt. This was also recommended by Cooks Illustrated, and at times throughout the year, can be found at very good sale prices.

I use this https://janeskitchenmiracles.com/instapot-reviews/ quite a bit for roasts, beans, soups, and sauces. Carnitas take me an hour -- total. Instead of simmering tomatoes on the stove top for hours, I get the same sauce after 30 minutes of high pressure. There were a few things that attracted me to the this model over the Instant Pot. One is that it's also just a pot. Many dishes I start by sauteing onions, adding aromatics, adding flour/tomato paste/spices to make some kind of roux, then adding liquid, then the protein, and cooking it under pressure. Once I've released pressure, I can add other ingredients -- think of something like strips of red pepper, nice in your stew, but would turn to mush under pressure. So I feel I have many options to tweak and improvise. America's Test Kitchen's "Pressure Cooker Perfection" cookbook was quite good, both with some fine recipes, and in helping me get started.

As a pot, I also found it easy to store. Since I don't own an Instant Pot, this could be easy to store too. But again, it is simply a pot -- not an appliance -- and it was no stretch to find a place for it. In kitchens where storage is at a premium, that could be of interest.

Again though, I know many Instant Pot disciples. I purchased my pressure cooker when we moved. While waiting for our house to sell, we found ourselves temporarily in a small apartment with our cat and dog. The kitchen was especially small, with limited counter space, and I probably cooked dinner with the pressure cooker six night out of seven.

Just some suggestions and one good YouTube video, hope this helps. Good Luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULJl8HT-IE4

Archived