Whole 30 - Day 5

I feel like I am finally gaining momentum, as it seems like my food choices are completely normal, as if I never went on the paleo hiatus over the holidays. Energy levels were higher than they have ever been thus far on the whole30; thus, I was able to do some serious house cleaning today. I however don't look or feel like I have lost any weight... not that I was really aiming to, just hoping to. What I really want is to lose that layer of alcohol fat accumulated around my mid-section, and maybe become less 'hippy.' Overall, my main goal is still to slay the sugar dragon and alcohol demon.

Here is what I ate:

10 am - 2 eggs, mango, 7 cashews

11 am - date

unknown times between 12 to 5pm - 2 oz chicken, 1 c boiled broccoli, 20 almonds, 2 T raisins, 1 c grapes

6pm - 1 c sliced plantain pan fried in 1/2 T coconut oil, 6 almonds, date

9pm - 3 c kale sauteed in 1/2 T coconut oil

11pm - 2 oz baked sweet potato fries with spritz of EVOO (homemade)

As always, I craved chocolate, but also popcorn for some reason. The day I stop craving chocolate is the day I can probably move to the 'regular' flavor of paleo (after at least 30 days, of course). Regarding hunger vs. cravings, the steamed fish trick is really helpful, and I have been using it constantly. "Am I hungry enough to eat steamed fish and vegetables"? If yes, then I proceed to eating something. I even printed out a picture of steamed fish and vegetables and stuck it to the fridge.

I fully intended on taking a ballet class today, but when I arrived at the studio, I realized that I showed up for the wrong class. *sigh* Perhaps Monday, I will be able to get some exercise.

Made it over the hump - halfway through and still on track!

Some of the highlights of the past several days...

• Having dreams of "accidentally" eating non-whole-30 foods out of habit (caramel popcorn, m&ms, and some pastry). I am not a habitual eater of any of those food items, so that's the strange part.
  • Still crave chocolate during the day, mostly after eating fruit and drinking coffee, but coffee seems to satisfy the craving.
  • Sometimes crave Wine, but not as much as chocolate.
  • Still haven't counted calories!
  • Relying less on fruit to get me through.
  • Energy levels are higher, and muscle recovery is faster after a workout. Eating sweet potatoes helps expedite recovery process to replenish muscle glycogen.
  • Sleep is unfortunately not getting any better. I am having a very hard time falling asleep these days.

What's your typical bedtime? I see that you ate something significant at 11pm the other day? I personally have a TERRIBLE time getting to sleep if I've eaten something carb heavy an hour or so before getting to bed.

Other things to consider: When's your last caffeine dose? Is your room completely dark? (i mean COMPLETELY dark: blackout shades, glowing electronic lights taped out, etc)

My typical bedtime varies, but I try to sleep by midnight.

Usually, room is not completely dark. There may be some lights.

I do have a tendency to have a late snack before sleeping.... That might be one issue...

I also have a terrible habit of browsing my ipad or iphone before sleeping.

Last caffeine dose is probably around 3pm.

Also, I have a couple of cities in which I live, so switching beds and timezones doesn't help either.

I am sure all of this factors into the inability to fall asleep and sleep soundly... something to work on.

Archived