What's the haps with plantain?

• 1 month later...

I grew up eating plantains. I'm from Cuba. There are several ways of preparing plantains: When it is very ripe 9and sweet) you can cut it into slices and fry. befoe its ripe..you can mash it and have "fufu'..a cuban staple.!

• 1 year later...

You can also mix one plantain with two eggs in a food processor or blender and either bake or pan fry the batter. It's like tostones with eggs rather than other ingredients. Plantain crackers can be made with plantain and coconut oil, spread very thinly on a sheetcake pan covered with parchment paper, then baked at a low heat until brown. They're not really crackers, but they make an interesting side with salads and such. Plantains are versatile and so many times, people ask me "what's that ugly banana thing?" when I'm in the store!

You can also mix one plantain with two eggs in a food processor or blender and either bake or pan fry the batter. It's like tostones with eggs rather than other ingredients. Plantain crackers can be made with plantain and coconut oil, spread very thinly on a sheetcake pan covered with parchment paper, then baked at a low heat until brown. They're not really crackers, but they make an interesting side with salads and such. Plantains are versatile and so many times, people ask me "what's that ugly banana thing?" when I'm in the store!

Actually, mixing plantains with eggs is not ok on a Whole30.  Since no bananas with eggs on a Whole30, no plantain and eggs - too close to Paleo-ifying pancakes. Sorry.

I disagree. I make egg cups with vegetables in the toaster oven. They're not muffins. They're not cupcakes. I mix eggs with a lot of things in order to give them a taste/texture that I can tolerate. I guess one could pan fry a plantain in ghee and then add eggs and call it an omelet. This is one of those sticky points, in my opinion. It's a blob of two compliant ingredients cooked together. That's it.

I love them cut really thin then pan-fried in ghee.  Once they cool, they are a little crispy.  I made these instead of sweet potaoes since I am trying to limit starchy veggies.

That sounds really good. I bought a tostone maker, but haven't tried it yet. I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, but do try to eat them once in a while. I'm more into root vegetables and leafy vegetables. 

I disagree. I make egg cups with vegetables in the toaster oven. They're not muffins. They're not cupcakes. I mix eggs with a lot of things in order to give them a taste/texture that I can tolerate. I guess one could pan fry a plantain in ghee and then add eggs and call it an omelet. This is one of those sticky points, in my opinion. It's a blob of two compliant ingredients cooked together. That's it.

Not a sticky point at all. It's specifically called out in the Whole30 rules (under no Paleo-ifying) and the Whole30 Can I Have article (under Pancakes: no).

You can disagree with Melissa and Dallas Hartwig, but those are the rules. 

I agree with scrapstitching,  I think this is not palo-fying a food.  I  mix water with my eggs to make the base for an omelet, does that make it unWhole30?  I don't think so.  Now if I added coconut flour to the egg and plantain mixture, that would be paleo!  Just an opinion.  Everything is subjective.   

I think, for me personally, I'm going to have to nix the plantains for the remainder of my whole 30.  I have an irrational, out-of-control craving for tortilla chips....  of any sort.  Dipped in queso or salsa, in a salad, assembled into nachos, and just plain by themselves. It's a texture thing for me... I love the contrast of the crisp of the chip against the smooth, creaminess of cheese and guacamole.

I've made the Plantain Nachos from WellFed twice now... once with ground beef and once with pulled pork.

O. M. G. they are DIVINE.  Buuuuut, they flip that "tortilla" switch in my brain and I eat the whole tray.  I LITERALLY cannot stop myself.

I guess that's a testament to both how fantastic the recipe is as well as how low my willpower is.  I think, in the spirit of Whole30, I should refrain from them for the remainder of my program even though they are technically compliant.  :-(

For those of you without my irrational tortilla chip cravings, go for it!

Last night I had coconut mashed plantains with pulled pork and brussels sprouts, and it was divine!  For the plantains, slice 2 plantains, sprinkle with cinnamon and just a touch of salt and fry in coconut oil, flipping once.  Add to a food processor or high speed blender with 2-3 T canned coconut milk.  So good! (This serves 2)

• 2 weeks later...

I think, for me personally, I'm going to have to nix the plantains for the remainder of my whole 30.  I have an irrational, out-of-control craving for tortilla chips....  of any sort.  Dipped in queso or salsa, in a salad, assembled into nachos, and just plain by themselves. It's a texture thing for me... I love the contrast of the crisp of the chip against the smooth, creaminess of cheese and guacamole.

I've made the Plantain Nachos from WellFed twice now... once with ground beef and once with pulled pork.

O. M. G. they are DIVINE.  Buuuuut, they flip that "tortilla" switch in my brain and I eat the whole tray.  I LITERALLY cannot stop myself.

I guess that's a testament to both how fantastic the recipe is as well as how low my willpower is.  I think, in the spirit of Whole30, I should refrain from them for the remainder of my program even though they are technically compliant.  :-(

For those of you without my irrational tortilla chip cravings, go for it!

I add crunch-tacular texture to veggie mixes/guac/salad/ground meat by adding water chestnuts. I've only used them from frozen or canned, so I'm going to check out a chinese market and learn to make them from fresh.

Last night I had coconut mashed plantains with pulled pork and brussels sprouts, and it was divine!  For the plantains, slice 2 plantains, sprinkle with cinnamon and just a touch of salt and fry in coconut oil, flipping once.  Add to a food processor or high speed blender with 2-3 T canned coconut milk.  So good! (This serves 2)

OMG, those plaintains sound Ah-mazing.

Archived