Day 2, Already Seeing Milk Supply Drop! Please Help!

Day 1 I nursed LO (4 months old) all day. I'm at work today and pumping along my current schedule, however I'm 4oz shy of where I normally should be at this point in the day. Please troubleshoot for me.

Day 1 Meals:

Breakfast: Banana Chia Pudding (bananas, mango, coconut milk, chia seeds, cinannamon), black coffee

Mid Morning: grapes

Lunch: Tuna Salad (avocado, mayo, green onions), salad (romaine lettuce, arugula, carrots, Tessemae Ranch), plantain chips with guacamole, a couple apple slices with almond butter

Dinner: Butternut Squash soup with bacon, banana with almond butter

After dinner: RX bar

Day 2 Meals:

Breakfast: mushroom, spinach, leek frittata (made with coconut milk and ghee), one link of chicken apple sausage, salsa, black coffee (Frittata is the equivalent of about 3 eggs)

Mid Morning: applesauce, grapes

Lunch: butternut squash soup (made with coconut milk), large chicken breast

I've had about 80oz of water so far today.

What should I do differently? I'm nervous to see a supply drop with baby being so young. 

• Administrators

How does this differ from how you were eating two days ago? 

I see a few issues here:

• The banana pudding thing you have for your first breakfast is not compliant and should be replaced with protein, vegetables and fat.
  • Snacks between meals should be protein and fat, never just fruit alone. 
  • Plantain chips are not compliant unless you made them yourself.
  • Your dinner on the first day is missing protein 
  • RX bars (and any sort of bar item) are only compliant for emergencies (ie, tarmac, blizzard, chew off seat-mates arm)
  • breastfeeding people should be eating four full template meals a day or 3 full meals and the second meal split into two mini-meals.  You can also supplement those meals with fat (canned full fat coconut milk sipped throughout the day, cans of olives, whole avocados etc).

From here it looks like you are undereating. You are going to need to eat way more food to keep up your supply. Lots of fat, adequate protein at every meal, ditch the fruit snacks.

Your body is telling you in no uncertain terms that you are not feeding it enough for it to continue milk production that is adequate.

My meal from last Friday (pre Whole30):

Breakfast: Kolaches

Lunch: Chipotle (rice, carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, cheese)

Dinner: Roast Beef and Red Potatoes

Snack: Ice Cream

After reading all of your comments, I guess my main concern is that I don't understand the program at all. I've read through the approves/unapproved list and knew my meals weren't perfect in terms of having all components, but it seems that just because all the ingredients are compliant doesn't mean it is a compliant item? For example, is the banana chia pudding not compliant because it didn't have vegetables and a solid source of protein? All ingredients were compliant. And if the ingredients listed on store bought plantain chips are compliant, is that not okay? I understand the reason for not relying on plantain chips and RX bars which is not what I was doing yesterday. 

Part of my struggle is going to be that I'm somewhat of a picky eater and have certain fruits and veggies that are off limits due to allergies. 

• Administrators

Most of the time if the ingredients are compliant, the item is compliant. EXCEPT when it relates to things that are specifically called out such as commercially prepared chips.  Read more here:   https://whole30.com/2017/03/chips-and-aminos/ and here: https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ 

The issue with the pudding is that it too is called out in the rules as being non-compliant because you're trying to recreate old standbys with compliant ingredients.  This is the "Sex With Your Pants On" rule. Read more here: https://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

As for rules vs recommendations. You could eat almond butter and bacon for every meal if you wanted to and still be Whole30 compliant. But that is absolutely not your way to best health, energy, mood, overall feeling. You came here asking why your supply was dropping. My answer is that you are not eating enough food and if you compose your meals better, make them larger and stop eating sugar-based things like the pudding, fruits alone and RX bars, you should see an improvement.  Read more here: https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

It might be helpful for you to go through the Whole30 website and read up on all the resources we have available there for free. It's about more than just the yes/no list of foods.

Ok, thank you for your help. I have some ideas on what I can do differently tomorrow. 

I guess my primary goal with doing this Whole30 is to get to eating food that is better for me while still feeding my son. Secondary goal is to avoid the "Sex with your pants on" rule. Yes, it would be great to take it all on at once, and I aim to get there, I'm just not there on day 2 yet.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2018 at 3:34 PM, ladyshanny said:

Most of the time if the ingredients are compliant, the item is compliant. EXCEPT when it relates to things that are specifically called out such as commercially prepared chips.  Read more here:   https://whole30.com/2017/03/chips-and-aminos/ and here: https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ 

The issue with the pudding is that it too is called out in the rules as being non-compliant because you're trying to recreate old standbys with compliant ingredients.  This is the "Sex With Your Pants On" rule. Read more here: https://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

As for rules vs recommendations. You could eat almond butter and bacon for every meal if you wanted to and still be Whole30 compliant. But that is absolutely not your way to best health, energy, mood, overall feeling. You came here asking why your supply was dropping. My answer is that you are not eating enough food and if you compose your meals better, make them larger and stop eating sugar-based things like the pudding, fruits alone and RX bars, you should see an improvement.  Read more here: https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

It might be helpful for you to go through the Whole30 website and read up on all the resources we have available there for free. It's about more than just the yes/no list of foods.

Seems like while having a new baby and breastfeeding would not be the best time to start a whole new way of eating- taking care of baby is enough.. so maybe for now ..just eating healthy real food - while reading up on the program is a more realistic expectation.. as you gradually learn about the program you can start to incorporate some of the fundamentals.. reading labels.. reducing sugar and alcohol..you certainly don't want to be experimenting with eating since your body right now is nourishing your child... plus it must be stressful to try and learn a new program while caring for a new baby... why make things harder on yourself?

19 hours ago, CHING said:

Seems like while having a new baby and breastfeeding would not be the best time to start a whole new way of eating- taking care of baby is enough.. so maybe for now ..just eating healthy real food - while reading up on the program is a more realistic expectation.. as you gradually learn about the program you can start to incorporate some of the fundamentals.. reading labels.. reducing sugar and alcohol..you certainly don't want to be experimenting with eating since your body right now is nourishing your child... plus it must be stressful to try and learn a new program while caring for a new baby... why make things harder on yourself?

Why would you discourage someone when the whole point of this forum is to help people be successful in their Whole30? 

Plenty of people have done great on Whole30 while breastfeeding. It just sometimes takes a little bit of tweaking. 

Archived