Beyond Bloated

Good Morning!

I'm on Day 16 (woo - over half way) - but for the past 3-4 days seems like ANYTHING I eat is making me bloated.  I was hoping to use this program to identify some food intolerances that I know I have and haven't been able to pinpoint up to this point in my life.  I'm eating foods that are supposed to "beat the bloat" while staying Whole 30 Complaint - but if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do - please let me know.  I drink a ton of a water every day as well.  Other than this - I'm feeling great and feeling my body composition changing which is definitely keeping me motivated, but the bloating is making me miserable!  I am also working almost everyday.  Please help - need tips.  Thank you!

My meals have pretty much been the same for the two weeks which is why I can't seem to figure out what's causing the big time bloating lately!  My breakfast consists of eggs, red potatoes (or sweet potatoes) and some sort of meat (chicken apple sausage, flank steak or sugar free bacon), spmetimes topped with some avocado if I'm not going to have any with lunch.  Lunch has consisted of kale salads with carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers (some spinach and romaine on occasion) with grilled chicken or grilled chicken with cooked vegetables (broccoli, carrots, mushrooms. green beans) and then for dinner i've been eating zoodles/spaghetti squash with ground beef or ground turkey, wild caught salmon with same vegetables as above, this past weekend i had some steak and sweet potatoes.  I usually wake up feeling good, not bloated at all, but the minute I eat something, I get bloated - no matter what it is.  I definitely haven't been sleeping well at all since starting this program.  I am waking up way more often to have to pee and can't go back to sleep.  I think there's been one day maybe that I slept a solid 7 hours?!  For my workouts - I go to crossfit.  It usually consists of strength training for 20-30 minutes, squats, olympic lifting, some running & rowing and then a workout that could be anywhere from 7-30 minutes - just depends on the day.  I thought maybe the problem was red meat because I usually don't eat as much as I have been lately - I also usually eat turkey bacon.  I am cutting out red meat (and almonds) - stomach was upset one day I ate them so I think they are no good for me..... hoping to feel better once I do both these things (at least in terms of my stomach hurting), but I'm still majorly bloated and it doesn't make me want to eat anything!  I have a sensitive stomach to begin with so I don't eat fruit with my meals, I was told to always eat them alone.  I can try to incorporate some fruit to my meals if you think it'll help?!  Thanks for responding and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Administrators

If you've been having that kale salad (all those raw veggies) every day, you could have just reached your limit for them. Try subbing out anything raw for straight up cooked veggies. Raw are harder to digest and can cause bloating.  Certain lettuces can be bloatey too.  Spaghetti squash personally makes me bloated.

@RandiW I’ve actually felt pretty good and been quite regular (way more so than I normally am). In terms of fat I’m not quite sure what else to eat besides avocado and I don’t want to overdo it! Any suggestions? And I tend to have a pre workout snack, hard boiled egg, piece of fruit (which I know doesn’t fit the template but not sure what else to have). And my post workout meal is always dinner, I work out after work and before dinner time. 

I sympathise as I am having quite the old time with reflux! Day 16 and it’s been going  on for about a week. Irrespective of whether it’s fruit or eggs or potatoes or a chilli an hour or so later bam! I’m belching up a storm uncomfortable as heck and at a loss as to what is going on. For example this morning after breakfast I was uncomfortable for six and a half hours and scared to eat but hungry!! I’ve just eaten again now and  the food stopped the pain and the belching but I think I know what’s coming in the next 60 mins. Went out for a half hour walk to see if that helped but don’t think it really did. No sugar cravings though so that’s a plus!!

Fats: handful of olives, olive oil, coconut, coconut milk, coconut butter, ghee, fattier cuts of meat or fish, sauces like mayo, chimichurri, cauliflower "hummus", pesto without cheese, dump ranch, etc.

https://whole30.com/2016/10/best-of-dips-sauces/

https://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/

It's incredibly hard to overdo fats.

Pre workout is ideally fat and protein, hardboiled egg is ok, just drop the fruit entirely.

@Banjolele  I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles!! I hope that you feel better soon!  No sugar cravings is definitely a plus though.  I hope you can get to the bottom of what is causing the reflux!

@slc_melissa I am pretty sure I'm sensitive to coconut milk/coconut oil/coconut in general - I'm in the process of figuring that out.  I know almonds & almond milk do not agree with me.  I also don't think that red meat does - but I'm eating pork and bacon so that's come fattier meats.  I don't like mayo or ranch so have no interest in re-creating those.  I put olive oil on my veggies & zoodles and use it to cook every night :)  I'll buy some olives next time I'm at the store and eating salmon tonight!  Thank you for all your suggestions :)

18 minutes ago, Risa_Castro said:

@Banjolele  I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles!! I hope that you feel better soon!  No sugar cravings is definitely a plus though.  I hope you can get to the bottom of what is causing the reflux!

@slc_melissa I am pretty sure I'm sensitive to coconut milk/coconut oil/coconut in general - I'm in the process of figuring that out.  I know almonds & almond milk do not agree with me.  I also don't think that red meat does - but I'm eating pork and bacon so that's come fattier meats.  I don't like mayo or ranch so have no interest in re-creating those.  I put olive oil on my veggies & zoodles and use it to cook every night :)  I'll buy some olives next time I'm at the store and eating salmon tonight!  Thank you for all your suggestions :)

Just a heads up - I thought I HATED mayo, was disgusted by it. After reading SO much about it on the forums, I decided I'd try making it once and see what happened. I also had read on a blog about using hardier greens, like raw shaved brussel sprouts  with cesear dressing... so I found the W30-compliant recipe for cesear dressing and made it (the base is homemade mayo)... and despite all my hate of mayo, i LOVED it. so good. Making my own garlic or cesaer style mayo has totally changed my feelings about the stuff (though I recently tried that W30 compliant jarred version and nearly threw up, so gross!). Now I add a dollop to my plate and dip my veggies in it! I really truly and honestly get why you think it's not for you, but I'd urge you to try making it once and see how you feel about homemade. Here's the recipe I use:

In a mini food processor (or yesterday it was in the washer and I used an emersion blender in a measuring cup) - whiz together 1 egg, .5 tsp of salt, and .25 cup of light olive oil (or avocado oil). When emulsified (takes about 30 sec or less), slowly start drizzling in more oil (I add in an additional cup - but you can probably do even more than this). When all of the additional 1 cup of oil is emulsified, I juice in half a lemon and incorporate that. Then I add in 2-3 cloves of garlic and a tbsp of compliant-dijon mustard. (If you dig try cesar, add in 1 tsp-1tbsp of anchovy paste). I swear, this recipe has become my life, lol. 

If you still hate mayo, why not "overdo" it with avocado? Unless you're worried about starting to hate avocado?  I know a lot of "diets" prioritize not eating fat. This diet encourages you to eat fat - fat you eat does not turn into body fat. Sugar (and things that turn into sugar in the body) become body fat. If you haven't yet read It Starts With Food, I highly encourage you to!

Best wishes!

Archived