Terez's W30: Jan 2, 2013 - Feb 1, 2013

Terez

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what you mean by the "daily 5 or 10" (I am usually only having three vegetables a day, not 5 or 10). When I have more than three vegetables, it's just a half-cup or so if I've got something left over (or as tomatoes in chili, for example).

When I have coffee with ghee I blend it up just like bulletproof coffee. Sounds like you'd find it too rich for your system. :)

I have my coffee this way partly because because I find it exquisitely delicious and partly because "butter oil" is very nutritious. I'm fortunate enough to have access to raw dairy from grass-fed Jersey cows.

Jersey cows are an "old" breed and produce beneficial A2 milk, not A1.

Terez

I meant the daily 5 servings of a mix of 5 fruits and vegetables listed as RDA. We have a dairy farmer with Jersey's too! I sure wish I could drink their ilk, tried and still had problems. Nice you can get butter from your farmer, due to some kind of laws in Illinois our farmer will only sell us the milk. Your coffee sounds yummy and you're right, probably too rich for me!

Love Terry Wahls - she's amazing . . .

Nanette, raw milk is completely illegal where I live. I buy it through an underground club, and that's why I can get cream and butter as well. :ph34r: The people who run the club keep the identity of the dairy farmer strictly secret.

Oh, good point about warming the coconut butter, Ann. I don't use a microwave but if I put the jar on my stove while I'm making ghee or roasting meat, the contents melt. Then I stir it well and move it to a cool spot to firm up while everything is mixed.

Then I chip my "servings" out. I call my snack a "spoonful" of coconut butter but really I'm chipping out a "spoon-sized" chunk.

Terez

I am with you terez, I hope to add raw milk and cheese back in. I miss raw milk.... I'm hoping its not something I react to. Fortunately raw milk is legal in the state I live. You used to have to own part of the cow, but not anymore.

I enjoyed reading how you are doing, congrats on the progress!

Nanette, raw milk is completely illegal where I live. I buy it through an underground club, and that's why I can get cream and butter as well. :ph34r: The people who run the club keep the identity of the dairy farmer strictly secret.

Oh, good point about warming the coconut butter, Ann. I don't use a microwave but if I put the jar on my stove while I'm making ghee or roasting meat, the contents melt. Then I stir it well and move it to a cool spot to firm up while everything is mixed.

Then I chip my "servings" out. I call my snack a "spoonful" of coconut butter but really I'm chipping out a "spoon-sized" chunk.

Terez

"

Interesting, an underground raw milk club. We can sign a "contract" in Illinois stating that we are purchasing a share of a dairy cow, then we can purchase any and all raw dairy products from that farmer. The farmer we get our Jersey cow milk from doesn't have us sign a contract, and it's from this farmer that we are not able to purchase cream and butter. Maybe that's why, cause we don't sign the "contract", purchasing a cow share for a year. I'll have to ask her next time we make a pick up . . .

Nanette, in nearby Virginia they have the same setup (they call it a cow share) but not in Maryland, where I live. I work in Virginia and had considered a cow share there but the pickup location for the products wasn't convenient and then I happened to learn about the Club. I'm a happy camper.

Here's the chart for the last two days. Terrible bedtime on Saturday night. Still, I managed to get up and function on Sunday. But had to pull off the road and nap on my drive home from a day trip. Which meant I couldn't eat when I got home and had to get onto a call. Did scarf down an avocado to tide me over (hence the two snacks before dinner).

486018_324627927637726_972261876_n.jpg

The bok choy stems I'm eating had gotten frozen in my fridge. (Something's up with the temperature setting; I keep turning it "warmer" and things keep freezing.)

But what's interesting is, they're tastier after being frozen! I guess like kale and cabbage, the cold makes them tastier.

I cooked my fresh bacon a few days ago. This was sliced pork belly that I salted and spiced. But I forgot to rinse the salt off before cooking it, so the resulting bacon (which is wonderfully crumbly) is too too salty.

Well, I heated up about 2-1/2 strips of this cooked bacon and crumbled it into the bone stock with bok choy and eggs. Was it ever good!!! Oh my.

Will post today's chart tomorrow.

Nadia, do you leave the core attached?

I separate the leaves and treat them as greens, and treat the stems as cruciferous. Just bought two boxes of mini-bok choy from Costco today and separated 'em out this afternoon. Was thinking of chips for the leaves, and you have confirmed it. So you roast them for 20 minutes at what temperature?

Hey, I like the new photo, Eileen!

Turns out yesterday was my finish line. (I miscalculated at the beginning; yesterday was Day 30.)

Today I reintroduced raw milk. Need to start a new log in the Post-W30 section (or whatever it's called!).

Congrats:)

I'm in NH, where we can buy any raw dairy products we want at any store that will carry it. Mostly it's just natural food stores and farmers markets. I believe in MA, you can still only purchase from farms. This is actually the method I prefer, I drive north to the area I used to live in and get milk straight from the farm vat with my own jars. I get several gallons at a time and freeze them. Doesn't work great for cheese, but fine for drinking milk. I've never frozen it for more than a month.

I love raw dairy so much....

Missi, you're the second person today who has mentioned freezing milk. Guess I will be trying that pretty soon!

My brother lives in MA and I visit him once a year. Have gone to a nearby farm and bought jugs of milk from their cooler but the setup you're talking about where you get it straight from the vat? Wow! ^_^

Yeah, super awesome farm in northwest NH. They mostly sell their milk to the VT based Cabot company. But they encourage locals to come and pull their own raw milk. I can get cream and a bunch of other raw dairy at my local natural food store, but I generally would rather buy milk and make my own yogurt, cheese, and quark. It is nice to get the cream though!

Archived