March 1 start - who's in f/ some March Madness?

Usatonik

Thank you for your response! I researched it as well, and found that it is very different. I tried the “Keto diet” last summer and became ill from it; my liver enzymes were very high and I felt like death to say the least. This seems much more healthy and I’m happy that I won’t be needing to put butter in my coffee! Yes, BUTTER! Looking forward to starting! I’ve decided to start on Monday though, as I purchased the “real plans” application and I’ll be able to prep on Monday. ☺️

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2018 at 2:27 PM, bombermcd said:

Is anyone else getting overwhelmed that there's no specific grocery shopping list? All I can find is stuff that says, basically buy all the meats, etc. Does anyone have a week 1 grocery list that I can use to save me some time? One specific to the outline they give on page 196 of the 30-day guide would be even better!! Thanks in advance!  

I actually just purchased a 30 day personalized meal planner that includes all 3 meals each day, a weekly shopping list, and timeline. It was listed in the “Whole30 Day By Day” Book. It was $30 and you have to sign up, but it is remarkable. After the first month, if you wish to continue with it, it’s $15/month. I’m not made of money, but at least for the first month it’s worth trying! You can also download the app for both iPhone and android. The website is w30.co/w30realplans 

Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, Whole30Raven said:

It's true, Ghee is not the same as butter. When it first hits your tongue, it's kind of an echo of butter. Then after a minute it's like butter's granny, a bit outspoken, but in a nice straight shooting kind of way. After a few tastes, it becomes delightful in its own way. 

Thanks so much:). I will try it! 

1 hour ago, StacyL said:

I actually just purchased a 30 day personalized meal planner that includes all 3 meals each day, a weekly shopping list, and timeline. It was listed in the “Whole30 Day By Day” Book. It was $30 and you have to sign up, but it is remarkable. After the first month, if you wish to continue with it, it’s $15/month. I’m not made of money, but at least for the first month it’s worth trying! You can also download the app for both iPhone and android. The website is w30.co/w30realplans 

Hope this helps!

Hi Stacy, I was a bit overwhelmed today myself (day 1)!!  I went through the recipes, chose 2 then  went to the supermarket to purchase ingredients and pretty much filled the cart with vegetables, nuts & fruit.  I wound up buying coconut oil not even knowing how & when to use it LOL! I figured I couldn't go wrong with the items I bought. There is a very good recipe for halibut on P240 of the "30 Day Guide", although I used Cod instead. Very easy and extremely filling.  --Liz

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Liz D said:

It's 8:25pm EST. Day 1 is not over just yet b/c nights are a bit difficult. Any suggestions would be great! 

Suggestions for?  If you're having cravings or your old habits are starting to rear their heads and be problematic because you're not doing what you normally do... at 8:25pm, I'd say bath, book, bed... Change those nighttime habits... 

I'm starting on Monday and while I'm pumped to try this I find that I'm not getting a whole lot of support from my friends. I keep hearing "that's a lot of food you can't have" or "what will you even eat?"  But, I'm doing this for me for a variety of reasons and just not going to listen to them and do what I need to do to get my health and eating issues on track!!! Wish me luck! 

So we started March 1st, and I can hardly believe that I've gone 2+ days with no sugar or carbs from grains. I don't think I've EVER not had sugar, since I started solid foods as a child! The first day, I hit a point around 2:00 pm where I was just totally exhausted but managed to rally after an evening shower to get some things accomplished. My older daughter complained of also feeling tired and having a headache, but my younger daughter rolled with the whole thing, no problem. Last night after dinner, I had some stomach pain and felt nauseous and didn't feel well through the night, tossed and turned a bit. I've also noticed that I've been very achy the last two days. I imagine this is all part of my body detoxing and adjusting to a new way of eating. I've been incredibly thirsty, too, which is weird because I drink a ton of water all the time--I gave up sugary drinks years ago and really drink only water. This morning, I made a sweet potato hash with some Whole30 approved bacon and sausage (Just a little of each because I know the bacon especially is not the best choice, approved or not), and it tasted so delicious and settled on my stomach quite nicely. I'm very tired and don't feel like doing much, so I'm going to do something really radical--I'm going to listen to my body and take it easy. Understand, as a wife, a mom, a blogger, an author, and the holder of TWO part-time jobs, this notion is really alien to me! Anyway, I'd really love to hear about how everyone else on this thread is feeling!

Oh, one more thing: For years now, I wake up every morning and as soon as I stand up, my head fills with mucous, which then starts to drain. I spend the first 20-30 minutes I'm up blowing my nose and coughing. It's just become a part of life, even with allergy meds. The last two mornings, however, those symptoms have been greatly reduced! I am praying it's not a coincidence:)

@Milissa  have the same mucous thing happen to me but every night before I try to fall asleep. for me I'm pretty sure that dairy causes it because when I totally cut out dairy it disappears! but it took me a long time to figure that out. So interesting how food can cause these weird symptoms!

@Staclynn Oh man, THANK YOU!!! Homie doesn't have time to choose recipes, write down the ingredients, compare lists, shop then prep, so this may seriously save us. IS the 30 day personalized meal planner listed in the “Whole30 Day By Day” book the Real Plans thing? w30.co/w30realplans? just want to make sure I'm looking in the right place in the book. (Page 224?)

On 3/2/2018 at 8:46 AM, Jennifer_M17 said:

I'm starting on Monday and while I'm pumped to try this I find that I'm not getting a whole lot of support from my friends. I keep hearing "that's a lot of food you can't have" or "what will you even eat?"  But, I'm doing this for me for a variety of reasons and just not going to listen to them and do what I need to do to get my health and eating issues on track!!! Wish me luck! 

Luck!  As far as the idea of "things you can't have", I like to think about all the food I GET to eat - not my line originally but I love it.  As far as "what will you even eat?", I like the program's catch phrase/tweet handle - JERF - Just Eat Real Food.  

@StacyL Started yesterday as well!! So far, I'm just really tired and my husband is hangry. The amount of prep is tough for two super busy people, but we're making it a priority and dealing until, hopefully, it gets to be second nature. Here for support, if you ever need it. I just need to wake up and for my brain to turn on!! 

I understand about the prep. Blizzard coming to NY & l'm sitting here trying to plan meals for 2 days. Planning is new but as you mentioned, hopefully prep, planning and cooking will become second nature! Have a good, W30 day!

On 2/28/2018 at 7:26 PM, Liz D said:

It's 8:25pm EST. Day 1 is not over just yet b/c nights are a bit difficult. Any suggestions would be great! 

I started yesterday, March 5th, with my husband.  Nighttime eating is my Achilles heel--so I would love to hear what you are doing to get through.  Last night hubby stayed up late, so, I did ok.  But nights when he is in bed at 7pm and its just me, the TV and the frig--are troublesome!

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, RJTurbot said:

I started yesterday, March 5th, with my husband.  Nighttime eating is my Achilles heel--so I would love to hear what you are doing to get through.  Last night hubby stayed up late, so, I did ok.  But nights when he is in bed at 7pm and its just me, the TV and the frig--are troublesome!

It might be good for you to consider "closing the kitchen" after dinner. Lots of us do it. Once dinner and lunches are made and cleaned up, food is put away, dishes done, the lights get turned out and the kitchen is closed. Exceptions are made for tea and water but in the beginning it's probably best to get those things for yourself in advance and then NOT go into the closed kitchen.

You might also want to know that the really difficult nighttime "urge" to snack on sugar/carby foods can actually be a sign of being tired. Your body/mind feels tired and it knows it wants to feel better and it also knows that sugary/carby foods make it feel better (because of serotonin). Your best bet in most of these cases is to just go to bed. Get more sleep (extra sleep during Whole30 is rarely a bad thing!) and avoid the fridge area altogether!

3 hours ago, RJTurbot said:

I am the same way!  I would suggest creating a new routine for yourself.  Can you get an herbal tea, a journal / reflection time and try to reframe your evening time?  And... early bedtime... lol.

I started my second Whole30 on March 1 and so far I've been too tired to focus on my nighttime snacking, lol!

Hi friends!

I'm a newbie to this forum and W30. I started on March 5th. It's Day 4 and I feel a bit better than I have. I'm in the same boat as a few of you. Nighttime is the hardest. The combination of nighttime habits and SERIOUS cycle related chocolate cravings make things hard. The first two nights I slept horribly, but last night seemed to be better. Any tips for survival? I'm determined to make it through! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, abbs said:

Hi friends!

I'm a newbie to this forum and W30. I started on March 5th. It's Day 4 and I feel a bit better than I have. I'm in the same boat as a few of you. Nighttime is the hardest. The combination of nighttime habits and SERIOUS cycle related chocolate cravings make things hard. The first two nights I slept horribly, but last night seemed to be better. Any tips for survival? I'm determined to make it through! 

Cycle related chocolate cravings are usually the body's way of asking for magnesium so you'd be well off to add a magnesium supplement.

Hi @SugarcubeOD! My husband and I started on the 5th as well and, agreed, nighttime is TOUGH. My husband is really struggling, much worse than myself, actually. The only thing that helps him is sleep. If you can't eat and you can't concentrate, then going to bed early has proven the best thing to do (at least, for him). If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear them too! 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:01 PM, RJTurbot said:

Hi, this is how I'm getting through the night time snack attacks. Someone had a question on this forum regarding eating too many nuts. The moderator wrote on what the  correct amount should be but also stated if you're eating too many nuts than your meals may not be substantial enough. So, I added more protein to my meals and it helped a lot not to feel hungry at night. Ok, that's the physical part. As far as the emotional part, I tell myself that I'm full and do not need to eat. The reward at the end of the day is that I stuck to Whole30 another day. I truly believe that we have the power to convince ourselves of anything, including making the right choices for our body:). Would love to hear how you're doing!  PS Today is day 7:) 

The past 2 days were tough for me. I worried about night-time "hunger" so decided to shower early, get into bed and watch a show for distraction until I fell asleep. It got me through last night & hoping it does the same tonight! Going to sleep, or at least getting into bed to relax does help! 

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Cycle related chocolate cravings are usually the body's way of asking for magnesium so you'd be well off to add a magnesium supplement.

I'm on day 9 & sleep will definitely get better. Pre- Whole 30, I was getting headaches almost everyday which effected my sleep. I had headaches the first 3 days on W30 & have not had one in 6 days. It's shocking!  Hang in there! It gets better!

On 3/6/2018 at 11:32 AM, ladyshanny said:

It might be good for you to consider "closing the kitchen" after dinner. 

You might also want to know that the really difficult nighttime "urge" to snack on sugar/carby foods can actually be a sign of being tired.

Well Day 11 is in the books and both of these are great suggestions!! But, I didn't see them until just now. The first three days I was so tired, it didn't even enter my mind. The Mayo issue about killed me. I am a good cook, who apparently does not read directions well--room temp, oh and even though you live EVOO, you MUST use light olive oil. Duh! Those days I was also in the kitchen trying to be prepared...so it kind of desensitized me to eating anything else.

Those of you doing this and working 40 hours outside the house, you have my never ending admiration.

Archived