Start date Mon. Feb 12th 2018

Micaela P

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Patty526 said:

Have tandoori chicken ! I think that might be on the compliant list!

You only have to cut them in chunks and roast them longer. Don't stress!

Problem is I really like them that small.  I roast the cubed sweet potato that I add into my chicken salad (with mayo, lemon s&p, apples, grapes, and walnuts) and I also make a wonderful Sweet Potato hash that I saute the roasted sweet potato cubes with bacon and green chile or jalepeno and a couple of fried eggs on top mmm...  I am learning to buy more of a medium to small sweet potato because the really large ones are just so hard to cut into.  Always on the hunt for my miracle chopper.

Made it thru day 1.  There were moments it was a huge struggle.  It is especially hard giving up the diet coke! and the bag of potato chips I had gotten in the habit of getting for a snack at work- really had to sit at my desk and do some deep breathing to ward of the attack of the snack. .  But this is what the whole30 is about - changing old habits into better.  I did have almonds which helped some.  I am missing the crunch of chips, crackers, etc.  veggies just don't have the same mouth experience.  Also missing chewing gum - a lot!

3 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

Made it thru day 1.  There were moments it was a huge struggle.  It is especially hard giving up the diet coke! and the bag of potato chips I had gotten in the habit of getting for a snack at work- really had to sit at my desk and do some deep breathing to ward of the attack of the snack. .  But this is what the whole30 is about - changing old habits into better.  I did have almonds which helped some.  I am missing the crunch of chips, crackers, etc.  veggies just don't have the same mouth experience.  Also missing chewing gum - a lot!

WTG, Jen, working through your cravings!  

Okay, Day 2, here we come!  

My husband is such a giving soul...he passed on his horrible cold to me! :(  my first thought when I got up was that I needs big glass of apple juice (I don’t normally drink juice, but when I’m sick it tastes good). Thankfully i came to my senses. Made a good quick brekkie of eggs, sautéed veg & avocado. Now to get energy for the other meals....  Lunch is easy with leftovers. Supper may be compliant leftovers as well!  Ugh...I hate colds...

Hi all-I started on the 12th as well...same set of reasons.  Tired of being tired, want to be less bloated, etc...  This is my 2nd time and I just now remembered about this forum.  It was really helpful the first time.  Looking forward to doing this with others as my husband won’t be joining the ride!  Last time I really felt great by the midpoint.  My dentist even commented on how healthy my gums were (no inflammation or bleeding)!  Bracing myself for this first week...  but I’m prepped and ready and determined!

Hope everybody had a good day 2! Oh mindless eating, my daughter left a bit of cheese on the cutting board and I had it  almost to my mouth when I caught myself! But otherwise feeling a kinda good slow mellow but not tired feeling. I had a preworkout snack (kind of a fat bomb - I make a sort of compliant muesli with coconut flakes and seeds and nuts and have a small portion with almond milk) and went on a 6 mi hike/trail run, then came back and had tuna with all kinds of veggies mixed in and homemade olive oil mayo. More chicken veggie soup tonight!

@Jenrun - Sparkling water and some kinds of Kombucha are compliant - are you in Austin? I bet you can even get Kombucha at your brewpubs if you are out! And I am a complete chip-a-holic. I put celery in my tuna (with a little salt too) and believe it or not that crunch kind of helped.

@JenniferNoc - You inspired me to get a spiralizer (I've been wanting one forever) AND an egg slicer! Oh and thanks for reminding me about spaghetti squash - I love that!

Day 2)

Hello All. So how many of you felt like this was super easy, or the day went fast and almost forgot to eat? Or was it like I can not stop thinking of food, food, food.

Me it was a busy day, but I didn't plan, so I had to stop at the grocery store and get an apple and some olives for the ride home. Whew it felt like a close one, Just like almost eating the cheese. Awareness, Isn't this huge. We have to make ourselves aware of our habits, not easy.

Glad day 2 is over.... What is your plan to celebrate Valentines without the sugary treats?

Lanette 

Day 2 what I learned (about myself).

1) I'm a full-blown grazer. Never want to sit down for a meal until dinner. Too easy to eat a few pieces of apple I'm slicing for my kids (I didn't) and keep moving. Made myself sit down to eat post workout breakfast and lunch.

2) I thought I was super prepared...planned all the meals I'd make, but I forgot the supplements! Had to dash back to the store today to pick up a few more supplies. And I need to prep better for quick breakfasts.

3) I don't know how I'll ever want to eat a pre-workout meal, post work-out meal and a breakfast on top (I workout first thing) without getting up lots earlier. I'm not a big breakfast person to begin with, so I'm attempting to change that. So. Much. Food. Maybe on day 23 I'll want that much food in a short amount of time.

4) My workout was sluggish--weights felt 20x heavier, but the cardio was surprisingly easier than usual. Wanted to take a nap all day.

Keep it going guys! See you tomorrow.

12 hours ago, dnewc said:

@Jenrun - Sparkling water and some kinds of Kombucha are compliant - are you in Austin? I bet you can even get Kombucha at your brewpubs if you are out! And I am a complete chip-a-holic. I put celery in my tuna (with a little salt too) and believe it or not that crunch kind of helped.

Yes I am in Austin.  Definitely Kombucha around at the pubs.  Problem is the ones where I  have talk to someone have sugar as a finish.  I will have to research to local companies more.

Day 2 was ok, not as bad as Day 1, but Day 3 is setting up to be a dozey.  My whole body hurts, I didn't set my alarm, but luckily only woke up 15 min late, still managed to cook breakfast (already tired of eggs and sausage) and grabbed some lunch, but I can tell today it is going to be tough (especially with the chocolate sitting next to me from some co-workers which I will share with some other people a little later, just another thing to deal with.  I may be on here bitching a lot today - please forgive me.

Hi ladies!  Happy chocolate-free Valentines Day!  Got through yesterday...no appetite with this cold, so forcing myself to eat. When I got up this morning was not hungry again & all that appealed to me was toast & peanut butter. But I resisted & had a couple of eggs, avocado & some sugar snap peas that I didn’t even sauté. I hope I get some energy today so I can cook dinner...yesterday was compliant leftovers. Ideas for an easy chicken recipe?  Was thinking of making the curry sauce over chicken breasts & making extra chicken breasts to have on hand. Have a good day everyone!

Sallee

Hi all

I am 52, generally quite fit, and have done once before great. I started last week with a reboot, but cracked a tooth (!) had it pulled (!) and had to eat all kinds of wierd soft food that was off plan. But now I'm back on track and finishing up day  2-looking forward to join you all.

I love instant pot cooking! Highly recommend for Whole 30 and just life in general.

3 hours ago, SalW said:

...no appetite with this cold, 

I hope you're over this cold soon. Ugh.

I made this chicken dish a couple weeks ago and thought it was really good. Its a slow cooker recipe.

https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2015/08/23/green-chile-chicken-recipe/

I made a slow cooker Moroccan chicken on Monday from a Whole30 Fast and Easy cookbook that was OK but wouldn't make it again. And I ate it for 4 meals... :)

2 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my instant pot.

OK, about this instant pot! Is it the same as a pressure cooker? Been seeing instant recipes all over the food blogging webs lately.

So happy to see this thread has taken off - and happy to have some virtual companions along for the next 30 days! So far so good over here - my husband and I prepped a ton over the weekend - lots of roasted veggies and hard boiled eggs. I did have a slight headache this morning - Day 3 - which may have been detox related, but I'm fine now. 

We had our first experience eating out - a Valentine's Day lunch at a totally healthy restaurant - yet it was surprising how little we could order. I ended up with a salad but I had to leave off a bunch of stuff and add some plain chicken. I hope to avoid eating out very often! Luckily I work from home so I'm not tempted to go out for lunch!

How are you all doing so far?

Micaela 

7 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

Day 2 was ok, not as bad as Day 1, but Day 3 is setting up to be a dozey.  My whole body hurts, I didn't set my alarm, but luckily only woke up 15 min late, still managed to cook breakfast (already tired of eggs and sausage) and grabbed some lunch, but I can tell today it is going to be tough (especially with the chocolate sitting next to me from some co-workers which I will share with some other people a little later, just another thing to deal with.  I may be on here bitching a lot today - please forgive me.

Hang in there! Tomorrow's another day!

Thank you for the recipe, @Shelly :)!  Always good to get new ideas. I ended up making chicken breasts topped with the curry sauce from the book. Yum!  I cooked extra chicken& lots of sauce left over. I also roasted rutabaga, sweet potato, peppers & onion. More leftovers...yay!  I started getting my energy back mid-afternoon & can actually breathe through my nose!  Hoping the worst is over for this cold. 

Good for you, @Micaela P for doing a compliant lunch when eating out. I think eating out will be a challenge (for me, anyway). We are doing a day trip with tomorrow or Friday (weather depending) & I will bring my lunch & hubby can get whatever he wants. He got sad face when I told him I couldn’t have our usual wonton soup. 

@BigT, good for you for jumping right back in after having a tooth pulled!  I am hearing so much about Instant pots...I really need to think about getting one. 

@jenrunsaustin - glad you felt better as the day went on

We are almost 10% through this! :)

Sallee

PS Man, there are a lot more dishes to do now! :( 

Micaela, it really is surprising what you thought was healthy, was not for a restaurant. I think you are off to a great start that you prepared so much. Easier that way.

DID EVERYONE survive Valentines?  I love hearing about the healthy gums, not so good on broken teeth. I am a Dental Hygienist. One of our patients brought in MM's and Little cupcakes. My DDS went and brought in bundt cakes.  Guess what, I looked and said not worth it!  Then I ran and did some errands so I wasn't tempted...Only so much will power.  My assistants were eating frozen meals - yuck, DDS eating potato chips, then they were eating all the sugar stuff. They were all crashing this afternoon, and I felt my wind picked up in the afternoon, not a crash!

Okay starting with Micaela and her hubby - 2, me 3, Sallee 4, how many are still going strong? On Day 3. 

My husband made steak, (mashed potatoes - I didn't eat them), green beans and a salad for dinner. - Missed the wine, but it was nice. He gave me flowers Monday, Today chocolate and a wonderful card. - No not the Chocolate...will save for a later day, like after 40 days!

So Stay Strong!  It is so worth it!

REMEMBER to eat,...

I feel much better physically today - Mentally having a hard time not being able to comfort eat base on my anger on some of the events happening in the world my views of changes needed that are not appropriate to discuss here... anyways..

@Shelly :) - Instant pot is a do everything - ie last night made gumbo. - sauted the sausage, added the other ingredients - pressure setting for 5 minutes (plus warm up) - then back to saute (for an open cook) to add in the shrimp to just cook a little bit - all in the same pot, super fast, super easy.  Even cooks hard boiled eggs really well.  Also slow cooks.

@Sunshine2020 why no mashed potatoes??  I made some super yummy ones that had full fat coconut milk and Ghee - so beyond my expectations.

Archived