AM Workouts

_keli

Can breakfast be my post workout meal? I'm trying to set myself a timeline for morning workouts but I'm having trouble squeezing in pre/post workout meals and a normal breakfast without it being too close. Suggestions? Should I just wake up earlier? Not sure how much earlier than 5am lll be able to get up! Or can I eat my post workout meal and breakfast closer together than an hour apart? Like can they be 30 minutes apart? 45 mins apart? I know an hour between post workout and you're next normal meal is on the shy side of the recommended time, but can I make it smaller? Help!

• Administrators

You don't have to have pre. Try fasted and see how you feel. If you're sluggish or not performing well try a couple bites. 

Post workout I always do 30-ish minutes before breakfast because that's all the time I have. Workout, eat, shower and blowdry, eat. I'm not an elite athlete or trying to tweak my performance, just support my exercised body so to me that's fine.  

• 4 weeks later...

i have never been able to eat before working out (weight training, cardio, yoga) at 5:30 am.  I do drink lots of water and usually grab a banana on my way out of the gym.  My trainer is always amazed I don't clunk over, but it is better than having it all come up.  For me, water is key. 

@_keli If you work out first thing in the morning (I do too!), you might just want to grab a handful of nuts, or a hardboiled egg before you head out the door. I can't stomach a full meal within 30min-1hr of a hard workout, and getting up at 3:45 am just to eat a full pre-workout just isn't going to happen, so see how much/little you can get away with while still being able to perform during your workout. This could go both ways for you, maybe you feel better on an empty stomach, maybe you need to eat a little more... experiment a little and you will find a sweet spot eventually. 

Then, have your meal 1 (aka breakfast) within an hour of finishing your workout! :)

Hope this helps!

8 hours ago, LuluBee28 said:

@_keli If you work out first thing in the morning (I do too!), you might just want to grab a handful of nuts, or a hardboiled egg before you head out the door. I can't stomach a full meal within 30min-1hr of a hard workout, and getting up at 3:45 am just to eat a full pre-workout just isn't going to happen, so see how much/little you can get away with while still being able to perform during your workout. This could go both ways for you, maybe you feel better on an empty stomach, maybe you need to eat a little more... experiment a little and you will find a sweet spot eventually. 

Then, have your meal 1 (aka breakfast) within an hour of finishing your workout! :)

Hope this helps!

I think you might be overestimating how much food there's supposed to be pre- and post-workout. It's not a full meal. A hard boiled egg or a single chicken tenderloin and some olives are really all you need (aka a few bites of something). Same portion sizes for post-workout. My typical post-workout "meal" is like 3 bites of chicken breast and 2 baby carrots or roasted sweet potato wedges. 

I have a similar question that I'm having a hard time finding the answer to.  I'm only on day two, so I am aware that I may be able to solve some of this for myself as I work through things.

I run every morning (for the past 578 days) - two days a week I also do barre and yoga after a shorter mileage run and once a week I do Pilates later in the day (that day isn't an issue, I can fit the model on those days).  I get up at 4:45 to do this.  I have always run fasted and this morning felt a bit off but the past year and a half have taught me some days are like that so I'm not concerned.  I'll add a pre-WO something if I feel like I need to after a few days and recognize it's optional.  I'm stuck on the Post-WO meal.  I run/yoga/barre/whatever, get home about 6:50, eat breakfast while monitoring my son's departure for the bus (within 15 minutes of getting home) and then shower and go to work.  I'm not hungry until lunch around 12 or 1, depending on what I ate for breakfast (I must have done better today, because I didn't notice it was time for lunch until 1 pm).  I finish the day, drive home, etc. and eat dinner around 6:30 ideally and 7 in reality.  I have always snacked.  I realize it's one of my issues.  But if I eat at noon I am famished by 3:30 or 4.  Even eating at 1 pm I'm pretty hungry before I make it to dinner.  Today I very willingly would have eaten fish and broccoli.  I drink water.  I walk around the block.  I know it's partly habit, but I'm feeling stuck because if I don't snack, I'm eating three meals and no WO meals.  Breakfast is happening where I would put a post-WO meal.

Again...recognizing this is day 2 and I'm still figuring out how to fit enough into my meals to stay full after 15+ years of caloric restriction more often than not.  This is totally mental.  But I've been obsessing over whether I should be eating 4 times given my workout schedule and if so, can I pretend "breakfast" is my post-workout meal, lunch is M1, snack at 4 is M2 and dinner is M3?  Screw conventional meal names?  Or do I just move on the post-WO meal because I'm getting the recovery stuff from breakfast?  I'm trying not to build in excuses to have a snack while simultaneously recognizing that there is probably a reason for the workout snacks.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, shandrananette said:

I have a similar question that I'm having a hard time finding the answer to.  I'm only on day two, so I am aware that I may be able to solve some of this for myself as I work through things.

I run every morning (for the past 578 days) - two days a week I also do barre and yoga after a shorter mileage run and once a week I do Pilates later in the day (that day isn't an issue, I can fit the model on those days).  I get up at 4:45 to do this.  I have always run fasted and this morning felt a bit off but the past year and a half have taught me some days are like that so I'm not concerned.  I'll add a pre-WO something if I feel like I need to after a few days and recognize it's optional.  I'm stuck on the Post-WO meal.  I run/yoga/barre/whatever, get home about 6:50, eat breakfast while monitoring my son's departure for the bus (within 15 minutes of getting home) and then shower and go to work.  I'm not hungry until lunch around 12 or 1, depending on what I ate for breakfast (I must have done better today, because I didn't notice it was time for lunch until 1 pm).  I finish the day, drive home, etc. and eat dinner around 6:30 ideally and 7 in reality.  I have always snacked.  I realize it's one of my issues.  But if I eat at noon I am famished by 3:30 or 4.  Even eating at 1 pm I'm pretty hungry before I make it to dinner.  Today I very willingly would have eaten fish and broccoli.  I drink water.  I walk around the block.  I know it's partly habit, but I'm feeling stuck because if I don't snack, I'm eating three meals and no WO meals.  Breakfast is happening where I would put a post-WO meal.

Again...recognizing this is day 2 and I'm still figuring out how to fit enough into my meals to stay full after 15+ years of caloric restriction more often than not.  This is totally mental.  But I've been obsessing over whether I should be eating 4 times given my workout schedule and if so, can I pretend "breakfast" is my post-workout meal, lunch is M1, snack at 4 is M2 and dinner is M3?  Screw conventional meal names?  Or do I just move on the post-WO meal because I'm getting the recovery stuff from breakfast?  I'm trying not to build in excuses to have a snack while simultaneously recognizing that there is probably a reason for the workout snacks.

If you would happily eat fish & brocoli, eat something. But I garner you're hungry because you're missing out on replenishing your workout. And I suspect that you generally aren't overly hungry for breakfast to begin with? Or normally eat a very small breakfast?

Post workout is meant to replenish what was depleted. It's not to be replaced by breakfast. Try a couple bites of protein and starchy veggie while watching your kid leave and then have your shower and meal one. You might have to shift things around a bit to make that happen. Then you should be able to get 4-5 hours between so you can have meal two at noonish. Since you do have a long stretch between lunch and dinner, you should probably plan to pack a mini-meal; we recommend protein + fat or protein + veggies. Stay away from fruits and nuts here, they won't help like protein and fat/protein and veggies will.

3 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

If you would happily eat fish & brocoli, eat something. But I garner you're hungry because you're missing out on replenishing your workout. And I suspect that you generally aren't overly hungry for breakfast to begin with? Or normally eat a very small breakfast?

Post workout is meant to replenish what was depleted. It's not to be replaced by breakfast. Try a couple bites of protein and starchy veggie while watching your kid leave and then have your shower and meal one. You might have to shift things around a bit to make that happen. Then you should be able to get 4-5 hours between so you can have meal two at noonish. Since you do have a long stretch between lunch and dinner, you should probably plan to pack a mini-meal; we recommend protein + fat or protein + veggies. Stay away from fruits and nuts here, they won't help like protein and fat/protein and veggies will.

Thank you, that is so helpful!  I will try that tomorrow. 

Re: the snack, maybe nuts and a boiled egg, or pick another fat?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, shandrananette said:

Thank you, that is so helpful!  I will try that tomorrow. 

Re: the snack, maybe nuts and a boiled egg, or pick another fat?

Nuts are fine if you use them more sparingly. They can be a bit gut disruptive though and you can end up eating far more of them than you think. Our recommendation is a closed handful every other day at most. They're good, just not super-optimal to be using every day.

Archived