Gearing up to start May 1st!

lauralees84

• Moderators
On 4/30/2018 at 9:58 AM, PGS said:

Question: How do we stay connected on the forum. It seems a little confusing.

Have a great day!!

13 hours ago, JenJenRN said:

Great questions!! It is super confusing :'(

Just keep coming back to this thread to post. If you want to quote someone, like I did here, click the Quote button under their post, or to quote more than one post, click the plus sign under each post, and you'll see a little button on the bottom right of your screen that says "Quote (however many you've chosen) posts" -- click that and it'll list them all in the reply box.

You can also tag people rather than quoting them, by typing the @ symbol and then beginning to type their name, which will cause a list to come up -- just choose their name on the list. it'll look like this when you do it:  @PGS or @JenJenRN

51 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Be really careful with the Larabars -- they're really for emergencies, like if you can't find anything else compliant and you're about ready to start gnawing on your own arm. They're as close to candy bars as you can get on Whole30. As far as sweet cravings, if you have something sweet (even fruit) when you crave something sweet, you'll just keep craving sweets. When you have these cravings, first determine if you're actually hungry -- would you eat something bland, like plain steamed fish and broccoli? If you would, you're hungry, go fix yourself some combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. If you wouldn't eat something bland, but you'd kill for something sweet/salty/crunchy/snacky -- you're probably not really hungry, you're craving something. Do something to distract yourself. Go for a walk, paint your nails, organize your junk drawer, meditate, journal about what you're feeling that's making you want to eat, call a friend, take a bath, work on a hobby, or even just go to bed early.

And yes, labels are super, super important -- I had to restart a Whole30 once because I found out some tea I drank had soy in it. Read the labels on everything. Even if you've bought a particular brand of something before, read the label again to be sure it didn't change, or that you didn't pick up a different variety. Don't trust when other people tell you something is okay, either, because manufacturers can use different recipes in different parts of the country, so a brand that's compliant where one person is, may not be on the other side of the country.

(And if you don't like meal prepping, take a look at this and see if it sounds more like something that would work for you: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/  

This is really good to know! Thanks! 

Started yesterday too! this should be like my 6th whole30!  just had a baby 2 months ago, I need to stop eating processed sugars and eat more veggies. my husband is eating paleo so that will help.

we went to the groceries yesterday and got lots of fish.  (bought 1/4 of a cow a couple months ago)  got eggs, veggies and some fruit.

we will prep 3 different meats for the week, roast a ton of veggies, cut up fruit and boil eggs.  

I need to have more energy, have more nutritious breastmilk for my naby and loose some pounds.  but the most important to me is to create healthy eating habits for my toddler and newborn. 

Would this be acceptable for breakfast?

Not sure. They are super clear that I am also trying to retrain my brain ... for instance, no frozen blueberries after dinner.  Even though they are healthy, my body and my brain want something sweet and I'm just giving in to that.  They also say no pancakes, etc.  even if you make it whole30 compliant. It's about breaking the habits.  Soooo, that being said, this seems like it may fall under that category ... my friend said it's so good she even ate it for dessert.  I think it may be ok to eat after my 30 days, but not during.  Your thoughts?  I have a hard time getting eggs down, but I've done it this week!  Breakfast yesterday took me 45 minutes.  Today down to 30 minutes.

Hi, folks!! This is my first Whole30. I turned 50 last year and I would like to get a handle on my emotional/ binge eating. As well as food sensitivities. I know I am sensitive to gluten,  chocolate and dairy so I eat less of those. A friend that lives out of town is doing it with her husband (they eat 90% Paleo at home and have done W30 before) so I do have some accountability.

I started on Monday. Prep and planning is the hardest. I had a busy weekend and not enough time to do actual prep. I have the food, but chopping/ roasting hasn't happened very well. I bought an Instant Pot last month and cooked up a spaghetti squash and steamed some sweet potatoes in it.

I thought I had more meat in my freezer than I did. My stand-by is rotisserie chicken from Publix, but I don't know if there are any without sugars. Soo, I cooked up chicken breasts and salsa (no sugar) so I have been eating on that for the last couple of days. I plan on making a frittata tonight after work. I've been eating boiled or pan friend eggs for breakfast with veggies and it would be nice to have a change. :D 

I think my biggest challenge will be to have yummy food that isn't boring.

3 hours ago, SusanSusan33 said:

Hi, folks!! This is my first Whole30. I turned 50 last year and I would like to get a handle on my emotional/ binge eating. As well as food sensitivities. I know I am sensitive to gluten,  chocolate and dairy so I eat less of those. A friend that lives out of town is doing it with her husband (they eat 90% Paleo at home and have done W30 before) so I do have some accountability.

I started on Monday. Prep and planning is the hardest. I had a busy weekend and not enough time to do actual prep. I have the food, but chopping/ roasting hasn't happened very well. I bought an Instant Pot last month and cooked up a spaghetti squash and steamed some sweet potatoes in it.

I thought I had more meat in my freezer than I did. My stand-by is rotisserie chicken from Publix, but I don't know if there are any without sugars. Soo, I cooked up chicken breasts and salsa (no sugar) so I have been eating on that for the last couple of days. I plan on making a frittata tonight after work. I've been eating boiled or pan friend eggs for breakfast with veggies and it would be nice to have a change. :D 

I think my biggest challenge will be to have yummy food that isn't boring.

Be careful with those Rotisserie chickens ... I bought one from our local Sprouts market, couldn't find the ingredient list, but it said No added this and no added that ... then after I got home and took off the cardboard wrap saw the ingredient list on the bottom.  A non-compliant ingredient was listed.  I gave it to my neighbor and they were happy!  I agree about finding yummy food that's not boring .... do you like the InstaPot?

• Moderators

@anaxg remember that as a nursing mom, you'll want to plan for four meals a day  (or three meals and a couple of mini meals), and if you're still hungry even with the extra meals, it is fine to eat more. Don't skimp on the fats, and drink lots of water.

@kariarm I think you're right that you should skip that as a breakfast during whole30. It doesn't have much protein, so it may not keep you satisfied as well as a template-based meal, and the sweetness of it will more than likely keep you craving more sweets. You don't have to have eggs, though. Leftovers are easy, or make some breakfast sausage to have with vegetables. It's helpful to get out of the mindset that there are certain foods that are breakfast foods and remember that you can eat anything for your first meal of the day that you eat for any other meal. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfasts or Whole30 non-traditional breakfasts to find more ideas.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, kariarm said:

Thank you @ShannonM816!  I could get really excited about avocados and salsa for breakfast, but I guess an avocado would count as my plated fat and I still need to do a protein?  I would love bacon ...

Avocado is a fat, and you're unlikely to get enough protein from bacon -- think of it as more some additional protein and fat for your meal, rather than a protein source on its own.

Maybe do a taco salad type of thing? You can add bacon to that if you like. Here's a recipe, although there are tons of others out there:  http://cookprimalgourmet.com/whole30-taco-salad

Or if you like a lighter breakfast, maybe something like fish taco bowls:  https://themovementmenu.com/recipes/paleo-fish-taco-bowls/ 

Or just add salsa and avocado to whatever meat and veggies you have already on hand.

11 hours ago, kariarm said:

Would this be acceptable for breakfast?

Not sure. They are super clear that I am also trying to retrain my brain ... for instance, no frozen blueberries after dinner.  Even though they are healthy, my body and my brain want something sweet and I'm just giving in to that.  They also say no pancakes, etc.  even if you make it whole30 compliant. It's about breaking the habits.  Soooo, that being said, this seems like it may fall under that category ... my friend said it's so good she even ate it for dessert.  I think it may be ok to eat after my 30 days, but not during.  Your thoughts?  I have a hard time getting eggs down, but I've done it this week!  Breakfast yesterday took me 45 minutes.  Today down to 30 minutes.

I'm not sure the link you posted is an acceptable breakfast. However, i also struggle with eggs. But I tried making this egg casserole and it's been a breeze. I made it Sunday night and it is more than enough to last all week: https://pin.it/5chqmqjxpdwqnb. It's also pretty versatile so you can cater it to your personal likes and dislikes. It also freezes well!

Thank you!  I'm working on a breakfast casserole right now ... well, it's 10 pm, I know I wasn't hungry, just tired, but trying to make things easier in the morning. I did snack on some of my roasted brussels sprouts ... is that a huge no?!  At least it's compliant ... but I know I shouldn't.  This casserole takes a long time -- I'm excited about breakfast though. I will have to try your egg casserole, @mgarnett17

13 hours ago, kariarm said:

I did snack on some of my roasted brussels sprouts ... is that a huge no?!  At least it's compliant ... but I know I shouldn't.

I mean, as far as things go, snacking on Brussels sprouts is probably one of the least sketchy things you could do.  The fact that it's 10pm and you knew you weren't hungry kinda gives you the answer, yes?  But hey, some people would have dived in to a bowl of nuts and dried fruit in that situation, so by sticking with a veggie you are already a head above the crowd. Use it as an opportunity to learn about yourself.

I, also, started May 1st though this is my first time posting on this thread.  I am really mostly doing quite well but it was strange last night.  I was looking around the kitchen, wanting something,  but I couldn’t begin to tell you what it was.  The main time I can tell I miss sugar is with drinks.  I miss being able to sweeten coffee and tea.  I did notice I am drinking way more water, though, I am just way thirstier.

At any rate happy May 3!

I was doing that last night too.  I kept looking in the pantry and fridge but never grabbed anything.  Just opening the door, looking around, then closing the door.  I miss soda, which is funny because I only drank soda about 3 times week.  It could be because when I wouldn't drink alcohol, I would go for a soda so now I don't know what to drink.  I did have a club soda with lemon last night and it was delicious, but I'm worried that it is a psychological thing where it is just replacing my previous vice.  I think I'll just save the club soda for a couple of nights a week and maybe have a cup of herbal tea to wind down before bed.

10 hours ago, kirkor said:

I mean, as far as things go, snacking on Brussels sprouts is probably one of the least sketchy things you could do.  The fact that it's 10pm and you knew you weren't hungry kinda gives you the answer, yes?  But hey, some people would have dived in to a bowl of nuts and dried fruit in that situation, so by sticking with a veggie you are already a head above the crowd. Use it as an opportunity to learn about yourself.

Definitely!  Tonight I didn’t have to stay in the kitchen to make breakfast since I already made it for a few days. Now I can just catch up on some reading!

Day 4.  Had one of those food dreams last night.   There was pizza and cookies and I reached for a cookie and suddenly went "Woah< I can't have that!"  Then panicked trying to remember if I had had pizza.  I was grateful to wake up and realize that I hadn't actually blown it!

I woke with a pounding headache though.  I did give blood last night and was thinking it was not being able to eat or drink anything sugary after.  I ate dinner about a half hour later, so I thought that would be good enough, but maybe not.

Great energy today though!  Not sure whats up with how warm I am.  I usually am cold, so being too warm is a strange change.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I just reached Day 15 (whoop whoop) and I can truly say I have never learned so much or felt so great from taking on a challenge like Whole30 :) So I thought I would check in with everyone to see how you all are doing since many of us will be reaching the halfway point this week. I hope everything is going well for you all! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there all!! Today is my day 23!! I feel so so much better! Sleep is on point. Cravings are practically nil! I love it! I will be faced with some problems with re-introduction... I am going on a cruise Whole 30 day 35! I thought the cruise started on a different date. Oops... So I don't know if I can do a 2 day per food item re-introduction or not. I don't drink often (like one glass of wine every *year* so that's not an issue, but the other foods are.

Prior to W30 I already ate mostly dairy free and low gluten due to digestive issues...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SusanSusan33 said:

Hey there all!! Today is my day 23!! I feel so so much better! Sleep is on point. Cravings are practically nil! I love it! I will be faced with some problems with re-introduction... I am going on a cruise Whole 30 day 35! I thought the cruise started on a different date. Oops... So I don't know if I can do a 2 day per food item re-introduction or not. I don't drink often (like one glass of wine every *year* so that's not an issue, but the other foods are.

Prior to W30 I already ate mostly dairy free and low gluten due to digestive issues...

@SusanSusan33 - please don't copy and paste the same dialogue across different threads. It's against forum rules and makes it harder for the volunteers to keep the forum clean and running smoothly. 

14 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

@SusanSusan33 - please don't copy and paste the same dialogue across different threads. It's against forum rules and makes it harder for the volunteers to keep the forum clean and running smoothly. 

I'm sorry. Feel free to delete one or the other postings. I guess I should have just posted the question on the reintroduction area.

Archived