Going to Disney in May 2019, my husband and I are on our 2nd round of whole30, were getting used to not eating out but then we just booked a trip to Disney. This time around we decided not to stay on property due to no kitchens so were staying in a Airbnb with a kitchen and now were just trying to figure out what to do with lunch and dinners.

I just purchased this ADOREABLE lemon wedge cooler bag with Mickey Mouse heads as the seeds hehe and were allowed to bring food in but what.

Heres my thoughts, the nights that are open later and/or firework nights well go early in the am to the parks and go back to condo rental around like 1-4pm and then go back for the night. Thats lunch that we can eat compliant, but then do we or what do we bring with us for dinner. We dont subject our kids to this complaint food, they eat healthier than most but not strict like us. We put money away for them to eat out in Disney. Other thoughts, the nights that close at 8pm. Well leave later in the am and stay all night, which means packing lunch and dinner.

We normally at home, cook a full family pack of chicken and shred it so we have something to grab on the go or quick in the morning for work lunch. We cook two packages of steak to have left overs when we cook for dinner. I was thinking if our first night back at the hotel we use aluminum foil pans and just cook it all at once we dont have to cook the rest of the trip. Meats like this I dont mind eating cold, I can bring a fork with me and dip into it when I want. Vegetables though? Any thoughts, I thought maybe like carrots, peppers, broccoli cut up. Guac packets? What else.

Has anyone done whole30 in parks like this? My husband and I just finished our first round of whole30 on April 24 and then went away for the weekend for our anniversary and ate non complaint, thankfully no side effects other than normal bathroom trips (non emergency) so we may be eating once and a while dinners with our kids in the parks. Just looking for suggestions.

Any thoughts???

• Moderators

I know people have asked about eating at different Disney and other theme parks -- if you google Whole30 forum Disney World (or Disneyland, whichever you're going to) you should find old posts. I think I've seen some bloggers do posts about eating paleo in the Disney parks too, which isn't quite as strict as Whole30 but would keep you pretty close for the meals you do eat out -- try googling Disney World paleo, or something along those lines.

The meat is a good idea. Any veggies you eat raw, like carrots, celery, bell peppers, zucchini, snap or snow peas, cucumber, broccoli, or cauliflower would work for veggies, or make up wraps of meat in lettuce leaves or collard green leaves. Cold potatoes are good, so you could boil or roast some bite sized potatoes, and take those -- sometimes I boil the smaller fingerlings or new potatoes until they're done, and while they're warm toss them with olive oil, salt, and some other herbs and seasoning, and then eat them cold, or you could roast chunks of potato or sweet potato and eat those cold. For fats, the packs of guac are good, whole avocados would also work, they should be easy enough to cut in half with a plastic knife, or cut in half before you go to the park, coat the cut part with lime or lemon juice, and rubber band the two halves back together with the pit still in place to help prevent browning. Individual packs of olives or nuts could give you a little more variety too. 

• 2 weeks later...

You honestly don't even have to go that hardcore with trying to prevent the avocado from browning. I've had half an avocado in the fridge at work in a baggie for 2 days and it's barely brown. No lemon or other tricks to try to keep it green. 

• Moderators
On 4/30/2018 at 12:28 PM, LadyGalas said:

Going to Disney in May 2019, my husband and I are on our 2nd round of whole30, were getting used to not eating out but then we just booked a trip to Disney. This time around we decided not to stay on property due to no kitchens so were staying in a Airbnb with a kitchen and now were just trying to figure out what to do with lunch and dinners.

I just purchased this ADOREABLE lemon wedge cooler bag with Mickey Mouse heads as the seeds hehe and were allowed to bring food in but what.

Heres my thoughts, the nights that are open later and/or firework nights well go early in the am to the parks and go back to condo rental around like 1-4pm and then go back for the night. Thats lunch that we can eat compliant, but then do we or what do we bring with us for dinner. We dont subject our kids to this complaint food, they eat healthier than most but not strict like us. We put money away for them to eat out in Disney. Other thoughts, the nights that close at 8pm. Well leave later in the am and stay all night, which means packing lunch and dinner.

We normally at home, cook a full family pack of chicken and shred it so we have something to grab on the go or quick in the morning for work lunch. We cook two packages of steak to have left overs when we cook for dinner. I was thinking if our first night back at the hotel we use aluminum foil pans and just cook it all at once we dont have to cook the rest of the trip. Meats like this I dont mind eating cold, I can bring a fork with me and dip into it when I want. Vegetables though? Any thoughts, I thought maybe like carrots, peppers, broccoli cut up. Guac packets? What else.

Has anyone done whole30 in parks like this? My husband and I just finished our first round of whole30 on April 24 and then went away for the weekend for our anniversary and ate non complaint, thankfully no side effects other than normal bathroom trips (non emergency) so we may be eating once and a while dinners with our kids in the parks. Just looking for suggestions.

Any thoughts???

May I ask why you're planning on doing a strict Whole30 one year from now in a Disney park?  Honestly, you'd be better off to work on reintroductions and figuring out your own food freedom and then using that when you go.  If you're planning a year in advance (and OMG, so jealous!!) you may want to consider not planning to be on a Whole30... 

Ya, my husband and I have talked about it. Yes its a year in advance because we had to make sure it was the right timeframe to go and if we could financially, this is our 4th trip now. Even though we have only been on this for 40+ days now, I have really bad issues with chronic stomach pain, bathroom issues, IBS etc. so.. being on whole30 is a life changer for me. I dont see going to the parks, even somewhere like Six Flags and eating sweets and fried food etc. I just cant, that one weekend that we splurged is still haunting my stomach to this day. I know it seems crazy to think about it so far in advance but we dont miss food anymore, white wild brown rice etc we Love cauliflower, we dont miss condiments, soy is now aminos, we dont miss drinking sweet liquids either. I know everyone tells me to do the reintroduction but to me, its not worth it. I have such a good food relationship I dont see adding things into my diet now if I dont miss them. You take all this stuff out of your system for 30 days and yes, adding something like rice or beans might not affect your system but if you havent had it and dont miss it why reintroduce. Maybe I didnt read all I should have with the topic but its like the saying "Dont fix what isnt broken". Grains, dairy etc are hard on your stomach; bloating and digestion. 

Anywho! Thats why were thinking about it, if youve booked a trip to Disney before you know it isnt a quick thing. You first have to know where your staying, so we started there and said well most resorts dont have kitchens so lets stay off property and then it turned into, well we will probably still be eating clean so lets just roll with that and save a TON of money. The way I wrote my post, cooking chicken and steak and prepping veggies etc will save us close to $600-700 on food. You just cant beat it.

I appreciate everyone's input, I guess I answered my own question though. I was looking for suggestions on food, easy take out meals, if youve done it and how it worked etc. I AM Whole30 and I dont plan on not thinking this way for the rest of my life. Its not a diet, its a life changer. :)

Thanks everyone. 

• Moderators

I totally get that you don't want to eat fried foods and sweets... I wasn't suggesting that.  What I was suggesting is that you do reintroductions so that you know that maybe a dash of dairy here and there doesn't hurt and you're comfortable with sugar in ketchup and the like.  You can make your food freedom VERY similar to Whole30 and that's what  LOT of us do... Whole30 as the basis and then things added in where they are worth it and where they fit in... You want to know before you go if a churro is going to give you stomach cramps or if a mickey mouse head ice cream sandwich is going to do you in because whether you feel it now or not, those may be things that you feel are worth it and if you don't know what they're going to do to your body, then it's really a (no pun intended) crap shoot when you decide to wing it.

I totally get having to plan at Disney and every trip I've taken there I've planned in advance how to make food in a hotel room with only a fridge etc... so that I was saving money and stomach upset but it would be silly not to know whether a chocolate covered frozen banana is going to be okay and worth it or definitely not okay... get me?

If you're not going to eat something again ever like beans for instance (which is something I don't eat so never reintroduced) then no, it doesn't make sense to reintroduce it but if you do ever plan on sharing an ice cream together or having a churro in Disneyland, the re-intros are definitely worth it and actually the whole point of the program so that you and your husband can make a WholeLadyGalas/SirGalas plan that is custom tailored to your context.

• 4 months later...

We were at WDW this summer, and my husband has a strict diet for medical reasons that's not too unlike Whole30. We also had a food allergy in our party. The restaurants at WDW are VERY accommodating if you let them know ahead of time, especially. But even if you don't, they will work with you. The chef often came to the table to discuss the food requirements and was able to adjust certain items on the menu and make substitutions. Most of the places have gluten-free menus as well.

Archived