Kombucha

Araezea

What about Kombucha? It is apparently made with bacteria, yeast, and sugar and is considered a fermented tea and the sugar is fermented out but leaves trace amounts of alcohol (my rough interpretation). I've read that we need to read our labels with Kombucha, and I've been buying the GT's version of blueberry, gingerade, etc, ones that "don't" have alcohol or sugar listed. But is it REALLY Whole30 compliant? 

Thank you!

can someone tell me what kombucha tastes like? It is vinegary? Refreshing? It isn't cheap and I do not drink alcohol so I have veered away from it in general. But I am intrigued b/c of the fermentation products in it that are supposed to be beneficial. 

28 minutes ago, -Kara said:

can someone tell me what kombucha tastes like? It is vinegary? Refreshing? It isn't cheap and I do not drink alcohol so I have veered away from it in general. But I am intrigued b/c of the fermentation products in it that are supposed to be beneficial. 

It's definitely an acquired taste...very carbonated and vinegary. There are flavors that I love and others that I can't stand - it's just all about your personal preference. I don't think they taste like alcohol, but that's just me. Some people don't like the smell but enjoy the taste, so you might consider drinking it through a cup with a cover and a straw. If you have a Whole Foods near you, they often have it on tap. An employee might be able to give you a sample to try!

Or, buy a bottle (GTs is great!) in a flavor that sounds good to you, and dilute it with a seltzer until you get more used to it!

Some Kombucha is vinegary. I started last D3cember drinking Pink Lady flavor by Health aide.It isn’t vinegary at all.  In January I started brewing my own. It is SO much better than store bought & of course, a lot less expensive. It’s very easy to do!

Archived