Newbie, starting Sept 3!

Readyfor30!

Hi fellow Whole 30'rs! I just turned 56 three days ago. Yay! I've enjoyed hearing from others around my age as well as those who aren't..

I successfully Whole 30'd last summer.  I am pretty healthy generally but since last year I've lost family members & started self-soothing eating lots of cookies. I was fine with it 'cause I planned to Whole 30 the habit & take the belly off later. That time is now. 

One problem I had during the last Whole 30 though, was a healthy sweet tooth: ie. Lots of sweet potatoes, roast veggies, butternut squash, berries...& other sweet but nutritious foods. In every meal & I began craving them as well! Red flag.  

If anyone has suggestions on how to Whole 30 without this problem I'd love to hear feedback. And suggestions of other non-sweet carbs, because it could've been a carb craving thing.

Meanwhile glad to be on this one month journey with you all. The forum contributed greatly to my success last year & I hope it'll be the same this year.

Blessings.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how is everyone doing on their 1st day?

I'm doing pretty good. I had scrambled eggs with onion, peppers, and mushrooms for breakfast and for lunch I had a spinach salad and didn't realized that all my dressing had sugar in it so I made my own. It was ok, just EVOO, garlic, red wine vinegar and salt/pepper. I can't believe how much I think about food especially wanting to grab something sweet.

Hugs & Support,

Patty

Ps: I turned 60 this past May.

• Moderators
On 9/1/2018 at 2:01 PM, spirit@62 said:

Can we have Bulletproof coffee (from keto diet)? 

You obviously can't have butter, which I think is what the original recipe called for, but you can blend your coffee with ghee or coconut oil, and the MCT oil is okay to use, though some people report it causes some tummy troubles, so if you've never had it before, just be forewarned.

4 hours ago, FitAndFabForever said:

One problem I had during the last Whole 30 though, was a healthy sweet tooth: ie. Lots of sweet potatoes, roast veggies, butternut squash, berries...& other sweet but nutritious foods. In every meal & I began craving them as well! Red flag.  

If anyone has suggestions on how to Whole 30 without this problem I'd love to hear feedback. And suggestions of other non-sweet carbs, because it could've been a carb craving thing.

Roasting vegetables does bring out their natural sweetness, so one option would be not to roast the vegetables that are already on the sweet side. You might also change up your seasonings -- I know cinnamon is a popular thing to add to sweet potatoes or butternut squash, but you can season them with other things, like a combo of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder, or you could use curry powder, or even something like Old Bay seasoning -- the sweetness of the vegetable will still be there, but it's a little more balanced out by the more savory ingredients. Even combining foods after they're cooked might help -- fill a baked sweet potato with chili or stew, for instance. Or put your roasted root vegetables into a big salad with lots of other ingredients. 

Limiting these sweeter tasting vegetables to one meal a day may also help, and then if you need more starchy vegetables, try potatoes, or maybe beets or turnips which seem a little less sweet to me, though they may still be sweeter than you're wanting.

Definitely be sure you're getting plenty of other, non-starchy vegetables as well. 

And just for anyone else reading, there's nothing inherently wrong with starchy vegetables. Most people feel best when they have a fist-sized serving of them a day. Some people do better with more -- typically, that would be people who are very active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or who are pregnant, nursing, or in the week or so leading up to their period, or people who are specifically needing to maintain or gain weight who are looking for the most calorically dense options available to them. 

This is day 1, breakfast went well. Lunch-I didn't prep and plan well enough. I ended up eating cashew butter, half a banna, sliced tomato and cucumber, and a small potato. Dinner will be fine, but tonight I will be prepping lunches for the week. Good luck, everyone!

I signed up for Real Plans. Tonight's chicken dinner was excellent. I was supposed to have made a quiche this morning but it didn't get done. Veggie scramble instead. I'll make it tomorrow. The thing I like about the Real Plans is their timeline. It tells you what to prep, what to take out of the freezer, etc.

On to day 2.

18 hours ago, FitAndFabForever said:

I've found that I need around 100g of ch at least, so that I don't feel hungry. It can be, that your body just needs more to run on. If I find, that I have a sweet tooth, it usually means, that I need more food in general. You can try different things out, what works for you. I don't count calories, or macros, I just know, that I need to eat fruit every day, with at least one of my meals.

First day was OK, although I went to sleep with the kids. I was tired of different reasons, but I think I will sleep through the week :D It is rainy and grey here, so still not very easy not to fall asleep.

I did some shopping today. I need to cook a lot, and prep everything. I found it easier to begin my second Whole30, I hope it's stays that way.

Day 3 done. Crankies took over and I didn't plan enough time to make my Real Plans chicken chili. But there were enough leftovers that I was able to make a big salad with lots of protein and avocado. I will make chili tomorrow. I had all the day 3 symptoms: headache, cranky, etc. But I did go to the gym. Hope you are all doing well with your plans and enjoying the journey. Enjoy is of course a relative term.

I eat mostly raw veggies now, I really enjoy, that there are fresh ones in the garden. Tomorrow I plan to eat zucchini bolognese (raw zucchini is the "pasta"). I will have to think what to eat with it, because it is not enough for one meal.

Fortunately, I don't have the headaches this time, "just" diarrhea. It's not that bad though. I am not depressed at all, which is infinitely better, than last time :rolleyes:

Hello all whole30ers! 

This is my second time around on the whole30. Day four and feeling pretty good (on my second cup of coffee for the day...). Earlier this year, I was super excited to do another whole30 when I realized that Aldi has a lot of whole30 compliant foods! Their salsas and guacamole are great! I spoil myself with their jamón serrano and smoked salmon, which are both compliant :) Hoping you all are chugging along and looking forward to the Tiger Blood stage! 

54 minutes ago, jadore43210 said:

Hello all whole30ers! 

This is my second time around on the whole30. Day four and feeling pretty good (on my second cup of coffee for the day...). Earlier this year, I was super excited to do another whole30 when I realized that Aldi has a lot of whole30 compliant foods! Their salsas and guacamole are great! I spoil myself with their jamón serrano and smoked salmon, which are both compliant :) Hoping you all are chugging along and looking forward to the Tiger Blood stage! 

Thanks for the tip on Aldi. 

I’m afraid to ask: what is the Tiger Blood stage?

I’m starting today, with excitement and trepidation at the same time. I really want to succeed at this so I’ve joined this forum for support and accountability. I’m your age as well with lots of lbs to lose and hopefully some aches and pains too along the way! Looking forward to this adventure for all of us!

1 hour ago, jadore43210 said:

@AutumnDay Someone else already posted about it, but yes. It feels absolutely wonderful! I felt super energized, didn't need any caffeine and just kept going and going functioning on full capacity. It was great!

Sounds wonderful. I did end up looking up the term. But I like hearing your firsthand experience. Thanks!

Hi Whole30ers,

It is day 6 and I feel worse today than any day so far. Last week at work I had symptoms from quitting sugar like tired and light cold symptoms. Today my stomach is messed up (don’t want to share the gorrey details) and I feel drained. The program warns us about days 5 and 6. 

On the positive side the kitchen is stocked with fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, chicken and the new stuff like cocunut aminos and milk or cream. At the farmers market in the Asian section, after reading ingredients off several cans and containers of coconut cream, I finally found one that is creamy but doesn’t have any sugar. A picture is attached. It’s for my coffee. I can’t find nut pods at any store so am about to order them from Thrive to try as creamers.

How is everyone feeling? Please send an update.

spirit@62

Andrea

image.jpg

HI there!  Day 5 for me. I feel good for the most part. Did suffer with diarrhea & headaches throughout the week. My mind feels clearer which makes me wonder how horrible all the chemicals and sugar, etc. have been on my body. Hang in there. Support is key. My daughter, Jen is doing this with me and that is very helpful. I'm trying to find more recipes for variety.

Hugs,

Patty

My 17 year old daughter is doing a slightly modified version (some grains) with me too. It’s very helpful! Instead of goldfish and Annie’s crackers in the pantry there are raw nuts, unsweetened coconut strips and Rx Bars. 

I have had pretty serious diarrhea but it is worse on days I don’t eat meals on time so eat too many nuts. Hopefully it will subside. Sugar withdrawals have not given me headaches but like cold symptoms and just lethargic.That is starting to improve. 

My slow cooker has been collecting dust nbut I am going to sear chicken breast and add veggies and bone broth to make dinner for Monday night. 

You are doing great! I am with you 100%.

spirit@62

On 8/22/2018 at 11:29 AM, Readyfor30! said:

I'm a newbie to Whole30 but have been preparing for a couple of months. I am starting on Sept 3 and my husband is joining me! A little nervous, but also excited to see what this new lifestyle change will bring! I'm putting this out there for accountability! I'm 55, and I know a lot of people in my age bracket will say gaining weight, body pains/aches, lack of energy is all a part of getting older.... but I defy that! I want to be healthy and feel great!  Thanks!

I’m in my late 40’s and I’m new to CrossFit and to Whole30! I’ve been too old too young for too long! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cheryl@CrossFitDover said:

I’m new (day6) and can anyone tell me when the gas will go away? 

It's pretty common to experience gas and other digestive issues in the first week or so, but it should stop soon.

Some things to pay attention to -- be sure you're drinking plenty of water, don't eat too many nuts/seeds (a serving is a small closed handful, try not to have them every single day), raw vegetables can cause more gas and bloating than cooked, so you might focus on cooked vegetables for a few days until you feel better, and if you're eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, or kale, you might sub in some different vegetables for a while, as those are particularly likely to cause gas and bloating and many people find they do best when they limit them somewhat.

Hey there everyone, it's officially Day 8! Kinda hard to believe that, no? So the past couple nights, I've been dreaming about 'accidentally/willfully' cheating on my Whole30. I remember that happening to me the first time I did it too because, after a while, you forget that you're doing a whole30 until your friends invite you out for a drink or you go to order bread off the menu when you're out to breakfast and you momentarily forget that you have to modify it. Anyway, the past two nights I've had those things sneak into my dreams where I have very vivid images of the foods I cheat on my whole30 with and I wake up in a mildly cold sweat thinking, "omg I've come this far! I can't believe I gave in!" only to realize that it was just a dream. And then I'm mildly thankful and mildly irked that I can't eat everything that I want. As per last time, I'm also worried that I won't end up losing any weight, despite the fact that I'm much more overweight starting out this time than last time, and I'm doubting the process. But I'm telling myself again and again and telling you all, now is the time to trust the process!! Look up amazing recipes. Find things that help you feel distracted in those moments and remember all the tasty things we CAN still eat that give us fuel and energy and make us feel great! My new favorite dessert has been plain frozen mango slices. Nothing added. Just straight up mango. What's better than that?? Keep on going, everyone! You're doing great! Even if it doesn't feel like it, it will pay off :)

Archived