Runner starting Jan 2nd - looking for support group

jenrunsaustin

I had my 5k this weekend and I was a minute off my best pace which sucks, but I attribute that to lack of training with the weather/early darkness we've been having.  I have to exercise outside, the boredom of a treadmill is just too much for me.  I can do a bike inside but that's about it.  My legs just didn't seem to have the energy needed to keep up my pace.  Otherwise doing great, having great sleep, did have a food dream (about Vienna Fingers of all things - I don't even like Vienna Fingers).  3 meals a day has been perfect this time (previously was not able to get away from snacking).  Hoping I can get more (and faster) workouts in before my next 5k in Feb. I definitely have had pizza cravings of late.  Fortunately that's the only thing.  

Yesterday's five-mile felt like it was never going to end!! I even had a pretty disappointing mile-per pace.  Worst part, today I have had the strangest cravings for sweets all day. Mainly chocolate, which is funny because I don't normally have a sweet tooth. I bought some fresh fruit and made a mixed fruit bowl to try and curb my sugar dragon.  I am not training for anything, but usually, prefer to run 5-10 miles depending on my energy levels. I am definitely waiting for the "tiger blood" to kick in :)  I am also wondering if the food cravings are because I am not getting enough calories for my activity level. Does anyone else have weird cravings? 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Dr. Science Squirrel said:

Yesterday's five-mile felt like it was never going to end!! I even had a pretty disappointing mile-per pace.  Worst part, today I have had the strangest cravings for sweets all day. Mainly chocolate, which is funny because I don't normally have a sweet tooth. I bought some fresh fruit and made a mixed fruit bowl to try and curb my sugar dragon.  I am not training for anything, but usually, prefer to run 5-10 miles depending on my energy levels. I am definitely waiting for the "tiger blood" to kick in :)  I am also wondering if the food cravings are because I am not getting enough calories for my activity level. Does anyone else have weird cravings? 

It can take a couple of weeks for people to get to the point where they're fat-adapted, and during that time workouts can definitely feel harder and be slower.

Starchy vegetables can be helpful, either as part of post-wo or just in general. Most people seem to do well with one fist-sized serving per day, but people who are more active may need more. Also, I don't know if it applies to you, but during the week or so leading up to their period, many people find they need more food in general and more starchy vegetables in particular, so if that's something that could be going on, eat as much as you need to, even if it feels like you're eating way more than usual, and know that it'll go back to normal in a week or so. 

This article about post-workout food might be helpful:  http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/

Can't believe we're almost halfway there.  No running last night just a very vigorous ride on my stationary bike (averaged about 14.4 MPH hills and all).  Had plenty of energy the whole time.  I really need to get over my unwillingness to run in the dark. 

I also had the absolute strangest food dream last night and it FELT REAL. I was eating some chili that had corn in it and thinking to myself, "oh yeah corn is allowed now."  Then realized after I'd eaten it that I was totally wrong.  Fell into my old habit of "Oh well, I screwed up, I'll have a big piece of cornbread now too" ate it and immediately was freaking out.  It's so strange how these come up, and odd that it's almost always foods that I really don't miss (Vienna Fingers the other night, now Corn in Chili??).  I'd understand if it were cheesecake, pizza or pasta, but those two are most definitely not things I crave (or in the case of Vienna Fingers - even like!). 

@pags98 I can't believe we are ONLY half way there!

I walked 5 miles last night which included a stop at Chipoltes for the Whole30 compliant salad with carnitas, frajita veggies, pico, guacamole it was yummy and nice to get out of the rut and kitchen.

My half marathon race this weekends temp forecast is 27 with a north wind of 15mph  - luckily that is a tailwind - so feels like is 20 deg  which in Austin TX degrees correlates to 0 in northern talk.  I usually really like cold runs, rainy runs, etc but while on the whole30 I have noticed I do not want my body to be uncomfortable, I am very protective of it, not wanting to push it out of its comfort level.  Has anyone else noticed that?

No food dreams for me yet, but I do not dream much (or at least remember) 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, jenrunsaustin said:

@pags98 I can't believe we are ONLY half way there!

I walked 5 miles last night which included a stop at Chipoltes for the Whole30 compliant salad with carnitas, frajita veggies, pico, guacamole it was yummy and nice to get out of the rut and kitchen.

My half marathon race this weekends temp forecast is 27 with a north wind of 15mph  - luckily that is a tailwind - so feels like is 20 deg  which in Austin TX degrees correlates to 0 in northern talk.  I usually really like cold runs, rainy runs, etc but while on the whole30 I have noticed I do not want my body to be uncomfortable, I am very protective of it, not wanting to push it out of its comfort level.  Has anyone else noticed that?

No food dreams for me yet, but I do not dream much (or at least remember) 

Have a great race!! 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:51 AM, pags98 said:

It's so strange how these come up, and odd that it's almost always foods that I really don't miss (Vienna Fingers the other night, now Corn in Chili??).  I'd understand if it were cheesecake, pizza or pasta, but those two are most definitely not things I crave (or in the case of Vienna Fingers - even like!). 

The other night I dreamt I ate a tuna salad sandwich on sprouted whole grain bread!  What a boring food dream! :) 

Awesome!  I got 2 5 mile hikes in this weekend.  One in a steady rain (fell and cut up my knee and finger a good bit) and the second on a super windy and cold day with my bum knee.  Definitely feeling some Tiger Blood type energy which is nice.  No new food dreams thankfully but a lot of random dreams (bought a car that I'd never want to buy in one).  So my sleep has definitely improved.  Clothes are fitting that didn't fit before, brain much more nimble and my cravings are pretty much gone.  There were 2 dozen donuts in our Monday morning meeting and they didn't even tempt me...although they were Dunkin Donuts which are kind of trash anyway in my opinion. :) 

Did a ton of meal prep yesterday but it was big stuff that will feed us for the next few days before needing to cook again.  Sheet pan Sweet Potatoes/Kale/Egg breakfast and Zucchini Lasagna.  Each one means 5 meals each for my wife and I.  

Archived