Inquiry about protein (meat) portion

Kemz

Hey! I am on my day 18 but I have a question regarding the meal template.

Sometimes I am not 100% sure about the protein, specifically for meats. For example, I usually buy chicken breasts and eat one for lunch/dinner. However, I understand that I could have a palm size and a little more, which could be considered the whole breast.  But is this "little more" only for people who are usually more active than others? If I only eat my "palm size" I may have some chicken leftovers.

I would really appreciate if you could give me some feedback regarding my dinner meal portion. It's chicken cacciatore (from the Whole30 book recipe) with half avocado and cauliflower rice. The chicken breast is sliced in 3 parts. 

Sometimes I feel like I eat too much but I do get satiated. I am just a little bit concerned if I should fix the meal template portions?

Thanks!

20190129_193632.jpg

I'm sure a moderator will chime in with a wonderful, factual answer, but I thought I'd chime in with my two cents...

This is meant to be an experiment! That's what I love so much about this program. So, go forth and experiment! The template says 1-2 palm-sized portions. So try different combinations and see what works for you! The goal is to feel satisfied for 4-5 hours between meals. So, if that means eating on the higher end of the template for you, then so be it. If that means eating at the lower end of the template for you, then so be it! There are some very black and white rules, but the rest is figuring out what works for you. So don't be afraid to be a little playful and try new things and find something that will be great for you for the short and long term! 

Chicken breasts can be HUGE or they can be small.  So a chicken breast is hard to say. Visually yours looks like it's on the small end given your picture so unless you have huge palms looks like it fits the template.  

I'd also say that if you're not sure, you could always weigh your foods as part of your journal.  That way you can start visually understanding what 4, 6, 8 oz of any given meat looks like. I know measuring isn't required in Whole30 but it can definitely help early on.  For me, a 6 foot tall male, I found that 6-8 oz is a palm sized portion.  I find I don't really need more than 4-6 oz as long as I get the thumb sized fat and I just pile up my plate with tons of veggies. 

For example today I had probably 3 cups of spinach mixed with 3 eggs and some compliant mayo on top plus some cherries.  I won't start getting hungry until noon (ate at 6:15 am).  I can typically drop the eggs to 2 as long as I have enough veggies, just depends on what I'm feeling like each morning. 

Another "hack" for me is to eat my veggies first. That way if I get full I don't miss out on those amazing micronutrients, I just stop eating the protein at that point.  

The big thing is to listen to your body each day and work future meals to what your body is telling you.  That's one of my biggest takeaways from this program!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, pags98 said:

I'd also say that if you're not sure, you could always weigh your foods as part of your journal.  That way you can start visually understanding what 4, 6, 8 oz of any given meat looks like. I know measuring isn't required in Whole30 but it can definitely help early on

It's actually not only not required, it's actually frowned upon. It doesn't really matter what 6 oz of given meat looks like - we want people going by their own metrics... knowing what 6 oz of meat looks like doesn't make that personal to yourself and if it's so you know how much your palm sized portion of meat weighs, my only question would be 'why would you need to know that'?

23 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It's actually not only not required, it's actually frowned upon. It doesn't really matter what 6 oz of given meat looks like - we want people going by their own metrics... knowing what 6 oz of meat looks like doesn't make that personal to yourself and if it's so you know how much your palm sized portion of meat weighs, my only question would be 'why would you need to know that'?

For me it comes down to planning.  E.g. Cooking ahead of time.  I want to buy enough meat to last me but not so much that I won't use it.  So it comes down to knowing how much to buy on Sunday without waste.  Hopefully that helps clarify.  I'm not good at freezing and reheating so I have to plan for my meals and I hate wasting. 

So if I know that 6 oz is my palm sized and I want to make 4 meals out of that meat I get a pound and a half and can then portion accordingly, making sure that I have room for all the veggies I want to eat which I never have weighed, just slap it on the plate!

Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate them. :) 

I just finished my whole30 yesterday. I realized that yeah, it's about listening to your body, but I also started to visually get the idea of the portions that I was eating. That way it is easier for me now to know what to put on my plate. 

And yes, planning is a life and time savior for those who do not like frozen/microwaved meals!

• Moderators
On 2/7/2019 at 11:44 AM, pags98 said:

For me it comes down to planning.  E.g. Cooking ahead of time.  I want to buy enough meat to last me but not so much that I won't use it.  So it comes down to knowing how much to buy on Sunday without waste.  Hopefully that helps clarify.  I'm not good at freezing and reheating so I have to plan for my meals and I hate wasting. 

So if I know that 6 oz is my palm sized and I want to make 4 meals out of that meat I get a pound and a half and can then portion accordingly, making sure that I have room for all the veggies I want to eat which I never have weighed, just slap it on the plate!

Ahh, that makes total sense... weighing for a few days to get an idea of what 'your palm weighs' in different kinds of protein probably does make grocery shopping easier :)

Archived