I'm a Brit who needs milk in her tea...

Hi everyone, 

On day 1 here and, having optimistically thought that I would be ok with 30 days of black tea, my first whole30 compliant mug hit me harder than I thought it would. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of good milk substitutes? I'm actually living in Spain and finding it hard to find a nut milk without added suggar or other suspiciously grain-like ingredients. I've never taken sugar in my tea so the idea of almond milk in my tea sounds really quite horrible and coconut milk just sounds a bit weird. 

Any suggestions??

• Moderators

Warm almond milk has to be one of the worst things ever... good way to ruin a nice cup of tea in my opinion.  Personally, I use coconut milk - it's creamy enough to replicate the color of milk in tea where other nut milks are not and honestly it's not all that weird... My fave is Cream of Earl Gray with coconut milk... 

If there was a nutmilk you wanted to try (cashew maybe altho that would be quite sweet), it's simple enough to make your own - it only involves soaking nuts in water and then blending them in a food processor and squeezing out the liquid... google can help you there.

Sounds like coconut milk is worth a try then...we're talking like coconut milk from a can here right?? (there are lots of health food products that just aren't as readily available in Spain). 

Sitting here surrounded by recipe books before heading off to face the weekly supermarket shop...

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KristinaTomes said:

Sounds like coconut milk is worth a try then...we're talking like coconut milk from a can here right?? (there are lots of health food products that just aren't as readily available in Spain). 

Sitting here surrounded by recipe books before heading off to face the weekly supermarket shop...

Yes, regular coconut milk in a can.

I have fallen in love with compliant almond milk. My daughter has now replaced milk in her coffee with an almond milk/coconut blend. I would NEVER have tried almond milk were it not for the W30 - now I prefer it to my previous love skim milk. I haven't tried making it though - I suppose I should to reduce the additves found in commercial almond milk. I'll have to give it a go when I get home from Australia.

Before my Whole30, I tried a coconut milk dry creamer in my coffee and couldn't handle the taste of it, but I haven't tried it since my W30 because it's got pea protein and rice starch in it. I haven't tried canned coconut milk for my coffee or tea, but I've been using almond milk (plain unsweetened/unflavored) for months (even before W30) whenever I make hot chai latte. I don't generally take black tea hot, except for chai, unless I've got it mixed with a fruity herbal blend (and since I have never had fruity tea with milk, I can just enjoy the flavor without feeling like anything's missing).

Archived