Anyone Else Starting Jan 5, 2013?

missmunchie

Day 5. Yay!

Woke up this morning after 9 hours of sleep (which I never do) and felt like I had been run over by a truck. Really hard to get going and keep going today. I am feeling hungover with a headache and oh so irritable. Soooooo irritable. But way deep down I'm really proud of myself and still feel really motivated! Woo hoo:) Thankfully dinner is in the crockpot right now because I have no desire to cook tonight and as soon as my babies are in bed - I'm right behind them. Dinner btw is a variation of a recipe I saw on this website...chopped onion, chicken tenders, salt, pepper, curry powder, salsa, coconut milk, and then adding chopped green beans and cauliflower in the last hour.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm in the middle of day three. Ugh! I'm not feeling a huge desire to give in to cravings, but my workout was useless today. I did CrossFit the past two days and today was supposed to be running stairs with a friend. I started feeling light headed after two sets and my entire body just felt completely fatigued. I pushed myself to do more, but gave up with only half my workout done. I knew it was the way day three was expected to go since I had read my morning email from Whole 30, but it was still tough.

I'm really enjoying the super healthy breakfast and this morning my husband even commented on how good it smelled (he's refusing to join me on this journey). I had scrambled egg whites with garlic, pepper, chopped broccoli, spinach and tomatoes cooked in. Yum! I've got my kids hooked on a bowl of mixed berries with a bit of coconut milk on it for an after school snack. They love it and it's so nice to hear them ask for it, instead of a cookie.

Hope everyone else is having a good week. I keep telling myself that by this time next week, I'll be feeling more energetic....

Day 6! Yay! Eating really well, though I feel like I'm using all of the dishes in my kitchen all of the time, with as much cooking as I'm doing...all the gross feeling from the 2nd-3rd days is gone, and I'm feeling great. CrossFit days 2&3 tomorrow and Friday.

So I have a question--along with feeling pretty darn good physically, my mind feels much clearer. Does anybody else feel mentally better as well as physically better?

So I have a question--along with feeling pretty darn good physically, my mind feels much clearer. Does anybody else feel mentally better as well as physically better?

Absolutely!! I'm on day 9 and I feel better today than I did even just a few days ago. I'm having BF trouble today and it hit me that I'm so calm compared to how I normally would react to him being such a bastard! I'm (in general) a more calm person but when it comes to emotions, well... sometimes my hormones take over my brain. That didn't happen as bad yesterday and I got a great nights sleep last night. This time last month, I would not have been able to sleep after having a misunderstanding with my sweetheart. The low-down is "yes!!" to greater mental clarity. And calmness!! :)

Day 6! Yay! Eating really well, though I feel like I'm using all of the dishes in my kitchen all of the time, with as much cooking as I'm doing...all the gross feeling from the 2nd-3rd days is gone, and I'm feeling great. CrossFit days 2&3 tomorrow and Friday.

Hooray for you! I'm spending A LOT of time in the kitchen too, but it's paying off because there are baked eggs for breakfast, cut-up veggies, mayonnaise, and homemade almond and coconut milk in the fridge. I feel like at some point I'm going to get into a flow and it won't be as much up-front work.

I'm not noticing a lot of change mentally or physically, but my husband says my mood seems better. I had a monster headache this morning, which could have been because I went out with the girls Monday afternoon and had a medium Americano. I'm used to one coffee in a day; usually more than that causes withdrawal.

On to Day 7 -- Wow--we're almost through one week!!! Awesome!!

Well, I'm in the middle of day three. Ugh! I'm not feeling a huge desire to give in to cravings, but my workout was useless today. I did CrossFit the past two days and today was supposed to be running stairs with a friend. I started feeling light headed after two sets and my entire body just felt completely fatigued. I pushed myself to do more, but gave up with only half my workout done. I knew it was the way day three was expected to go since I had read my morning email from Whole 30, but it was still tough.

I'm really enjoying the super healthy breakfast and this morning my husband even commented on how good it smelled (he's refusing to join me on this journey). I had scrambled egg whites with garlic, pepper, chopped broccoli, spinach and tomatoes cooked in. Yum! I've got my kids hooked on a bowl of mixed berries with a bit of coconut milk on it for an after school snack. They love it and it's so nice to hear them ask for it, instead of a cookie.

Hope everyone else is having a good week. I keep telling myself that by this time next week, I'll be feeling more energetic....

Hey, Connie! I love the snack you gave your kids...I'll have to try this out on my kids tomorrow. Hang in there! Great job getting to your workout. I am sorry your energy is dragging, and you felt lightheaded. I just went for a walk today. I have decided to scale back on zumba and walk/jogs until I acclimate. Sorry I didn't see this earlier! No need to write a second update to me in the other thread. Keep your head up. You are committed and doing a great job!

Day six for me here, and I have to say, I'm not feeling great. Part of it has to do with my insane work commute and the fact that my toddler has woken up at 3 AM and stayed awake for hours the past couple of nights (we moved recently so he's still adjusting to the new environment). But part of me feels just...gross. Stinky, greasy, tired, thirsty, and sad. I haven't noticed any positive changes thus far. I read up on this forum and at Marks Daily Apple and it looks like I had symptoms of being in ketosis - so I tested my urine this morning and sure enough, I'm there. Is that bad, good? Will it go away? When does the magic start to happen? If I get out of ketosis, will I still lose fat? Any advice would sure be appreciated. BTW, I just finished lunch (tuna with homemade mayo, jalepeno, cucumber, grape tomatoes, olives, and pickles) and I INHALED it. I'm finding that I'm much hungrier than I was before on this plan too...is that normal? HALP!! :)

Bring it on day 7! Yesterday I had a decent workout in the morning and was getting through the day pretty normal until somewhere around 1pm and I hit a wall! I tried the 'Mommy's going to lay on the couch for 5 minutes' with my kids, but that didn't go over well. So I made it through the day and gave up my early morning workout this morning in favour of more sleep.

I think the day 7 email came at a perfect time for me. I've been totally compliant with everything but I do feel like I'm taking advantage of nuts (cashews!) to get me to my next meal. I was also using cashews as a quick snack on the way to the gym in the morning before my real breakfast. Now I'm having some nut guilt and think I need to come up with a better idea for a 5am energy snack on the way to the gym and to eliminate it as an option between meals.

I miss my kitchen...did I mention my kitchen is gutted and has been for the last 2 months while my husband attempts to renovate it himself? It's getting really hard to be creative and compliant with a bbq, microwave, and slow cooker!!!!!!

Day 7 here! You now how in ISWF and on the "what to expect" list they say people dream about off-plan food, even about foods they didn't necessarily love before starting W30? I thought that was an exaggeration until this morning when I woke up and remembered I had INTENSE dreams of being at the biggest brunch ever, eating pancakes and brioche and cheese plates and fountains of champagne. I didn't even eat pancakes or brioche before the plan! Crazy. Anyone else experience that? Does this mean I'm about to turn a corner?

CJB, that is amazing you're doing this without a full kitchen!

Robotarmy, thanks for asking how we're doing. I want to hear from other Jan 5ers too!

I'm spending a lot of time on food prep but I like that it's not baking.

Finally feeling good and just decided to start cooking rather than doing just a plain protein and a bunch of veggies. I just didn't have the energy earlier this week but ready to go now. So excited to have made it through day 7.

Day 7 completed with fail!!!! Yea. I thought with all the time spent in bed with migraines I wouldn't be able to do it but it did---and I did not have a migraine yesterday or today!!!!! Feeling much better and so excited to see there are so many of us who started on 01/05/13 who have made it through. It is exciting to know we are 1/4 of the way through the Whole30. Is anyone else drinking more water than they normally do?

Update for me. I am just beginning day 8 and could not feel better. My skin is not puffy in the morning and I have so much energy now that I am getting everything done. I have not felt this good in a long while. I have held off from the gym for this week because I wanted to really focus on the food and resting when my body needed it. I will start back at the gym today and I am so excited about the further health benefits this way of life will bring. Two cheers for all of us taking back our health and lives!

Fatbegone

Update for me. I am just beginning day 8 and could not feel better. My skin is not puffy in the morning and I have so much energy now that I am getting everything done. I have not felt this good in a long while. I have held off from the gym for this week because I wanted to really focus on the food and resting when my body needed it. I will start back at the gym today and I am so excited about the further health benefits this way of life will bring. Two cheers for all of us taking back our health and lives!

Fatbegone

What a positive update! Glad you're feeling good :)

Bring it on day 7! Yesterday I had a decent workout in the morning and was getting through the day pretty normal until somewhere around 1pm and I hit a wall! I tried the 'Mommy's going to lay on the couch for 5 minutes' with my kids, but that didn't go over well. So I made it through the day and gave up my early morning workout this morning in favour of more sleep.

I think the day 7 email came at a perfect time for me. I've been totally compliant with everything but I do feel like I'm taking advantage of nuts (cashews!) to get me to my next meal. I was also using cashews as a quick snack on the way to the gym in the morning before my real breakfast. Now I'm having some nut guilt and think I need to come up with a better idea for a 5am energy snack on the way to the gym and to eliminate it as an option between meals.

I miss my kitchen...did I mention my kitchen is gutted and has been for the last 2 months while my husband attempts to renovate it himself? It's getting really hard to be creative and compliant with a bbq, microwave, and slow cooker!!!!!!

Great job on taking your rest when you need it and applying what you are learning from your eating experience! Sorry about your kitchen! And even with your cooking space impaired you are still totally rocking it. :) Way to be!

So happy to see everyone is doing so well. I have just completed day 8 and it was a super stressful day. I'm a Realtor and I don't exactly have a schedule---someone calls--I go. Anyway, my schedule kind of went right out the window this morning when I ended up looking for something for 3 hours, missed my first gym workout, didn't eat breakfast until 3 hours after I got out of bed, squished lunch in 2 1/2 hour later so I wouldn't skip it and then ended up eating dinner at 8:30pm. So, here I am up at 1:22am when I should be sleeping because I'm not tired so OBVIOUSLY the stress the of the day is screwing up some of the good work I've done getting to day 8. Discouraged, angry, frustrated but at least I didn't eat anything bad. Took some ribbing from my family because I guess I'm talking about this whole thing too much. Anyway---thanks for letting me vent. Just a sucky day and I am going to try like crazy to get to the gym tomorrow. I don't think the Whole30 is going to be very effective if I never do any exercise. Kind of discouraged that 8 days have passed and I haven't worked out at all except for a 40 minute walk with the dog. Enough!!!! Just being a Debbie Downer so I'm going to go drink my magnesium, take my high blood pressure and high cholesterol pills and call it DAY 8.

So happy to see everyone is doing so well. I have just completed day 8 and it was a super stressful day. I'm a Realtor and I don't exactly have a schedule---someone calls--I go. Anyway, my schedule kind of went right out the window this morning when I ended up looking for something for 3 hours, missed my first gym workout, didn't eat breakfast until 3 hours after I got out of bed, squished lunch in 2 1/2 hour later so I wouldn't skip it and then ended up eating dinner at 8:30pm. So, here I am up at 1:22am when I should be sleeping because I'm not tired so OBVIOUSLY the stress the of the day is screwing up some of the good work I've done getting to day 8. Discouraged, angry, frustrated but at least I didn't eat anything bad. Took some ribbing from my family because I guess I'm talking about this whole thing too much. Anyway---thanks for letting me vent. Just a sucky day and I am going to try like crazy to get to the gym tomorrow. I don't think the Whole30 is going to be very effective if I never do any exercise. Kind of discouraged that 8 days have passed and I haven't worked out at all except for a 40 minute walk with the dog. Enough!!!! Just being a Debbie Downer so I'm going to go drink my magnesium, take my high blood pressure and high cholesterol pills and call it DAY 8.

You got this, pesmith929. Seriously, getting through a super stressful day and not eating off plan? Total victory. Hope the stress is subsiding!

Day 11 here. I'm experiencing some weirdness that may or may not be side effects - does anyone know if the following could be side effects?

• Pronounced, persistent body odor
  • Oilier hair
  • Breakouts on jaw and upper neck(?!)

Aside from the grossness, I have not yet discovered any benefits to the program. Getting very discouraged - what is the point of continuing if this program just leaves me greasy and stinky?

Day 11 update. I have come to the forums today to get a little inspiration and encouragement. I am fighting intense cravings today for the first time. I have planned the whole day's meals and only have dinner to go, but wow! This is the first day in the program that I have really had to fight the urge to partake in old behaviors. I am battling through and will report back in tomorrow the good news that I did not eat anything off the plan. Man.... Day is 11 is giving me a run for the money. Hope everyone else is breezing through.

Fatbegone

Day 11 and I'm crabby crabby crabby. And I'm thinking about off-plan food. "Kill All The Things" was supposed to be Day 4 & 5, but here it is today.

I am experiencing the same thing! I just about tore my husbands head off the other night...said he was sighing too loudly! He is on the plan too, but seemed to experience the crappy temper "on schedule", around day 4.

Eating my breakfast of leftover steak and a hardboiled egg right now. Steak and eggs on the go, I guess?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Archived