Anyone Else Starting Jan 5, 2013?

missmunchie

I am experiencing the same thing! I just about tore my husbands head off the other night...said he was sighing too loudly! He is on the plan too, but seemed to experience the crappy temper "on schedule", around day 4.

Eating my breakfast of leftover steak and a hardboiled egg right now. Steak and eggs on the go, I guess?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Emily, I know you are having a hard time with some things on this program. Are you eating things like steak and eggs consistently, without a lot of veggies or minimal starchy carbs? I think the goal is to eat a palm size portion of meat, fill the rest of your plate with veggies, about a thumb size portion of fat, and minimal fruit. You might be having these symptoms, because of the amount of protein you are eating alone. I know that when I consume too much fat/protein I get smelly. Maybe try to round out your meals with 1/2 a sweet potato, and load up on those veggies.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 11 here. I'm experiencing some weirdness that may or may not be side effects - does anyone know if the following could be side effects?

• Pronounced, persistent body odor
  • Oilier hair
  • Breakouts on jaw and upper neck(?!)

Aside from the grossness, I have not yet discovered any benefits to the program. Getting very discouraged - what is the point of continuing if this program just leaves me greasy and stinky?

Don't give up! I also am breaking out on my lower chin/ upper neck and though I don't have body odor, I am sweating more than I ever have! And I've realized that if I do not follow the meal rule- like rojo said, I want to cry and punch everyone I see!!! It's awful. So as of yesterday I've vowed to literally have the exact amount of protein veggies fat and fruit at every single meal.

And as for the breakouts and oily hair -Being a cosmetologist/ esthetician- Breakouts around neck and chin tend to do with menstraul cycle, so are you within a week or so of starting? Could be that mixed with the fact that toxins only have a few ways to leave the body, skin is definitely one of them. It will take longer than 11 days for all of the crap to get out and for our bodies to adjust to the new diet, same goes for scalp and armpits- pores that are excreting junk. Let's all give it the full 30 days, we're almost half way! I would bet that skin clears up, and our crabbiness will fade :)

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the feedback. I do think that perhaps I'm overdoing it on protien and fats - the program I use to track my calories and calorie composition shows that I'm about 2/3 fats, 1/3 protien, and 1/3 carbs (from veg and fruit). I think I will take your advice and tinker with the meals so that I'm upping carb intake (veg, mainly). Just had a bigg ass salad for lunch with canned tuna, avocado, tomato, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, and carrot.

I'm grateful for the support I get here. It has been a tough slog so far but I'm doing my hardest to stay committed for a full 30 days!

So, I've been stressing about my macadamia nuts that I bought packaged from bulk at our area's Amish country store. I've been snacking on them most days and they tasted kind of oily. It occurred to me maybe there was soy oil or something else on them to mess me up. I finally drove up there (they don't have a phone) and found out they were just nuts and salt. Blindside avoided, whew.

Day 12 and I'm not craving food, only the idea of old familiar foods. At the same time it seems weird that I ever ate any different than this. Doing lots of work in the kitchen snd not really in a groove with food prep (yet?) but we're eating really well so that's making w30 doable.

I've had times of more energy but other times not. Are you noticing dramatic or small changes in your health?

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the feedback. I do think that perhaps I'm overdoing it on protien and fats - the program I use to track my calories and calorie composition shows that I'm about 2/3 fats, 1/3 protien, and 1/3 carbs (from veg and fruit). I think I will take your advice and tinker with the meals so that I'm upping carb intake (veg, mainly). Just had a bigg ass salad for lunch with canned tuna, avocado, tomato, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, and carrot.

I'm grateful for the support I get here. It has been a tough slog so far but I'm doing my hardest to stay committed for a full 30 days!

Someone commented on my log early on that I needed more veg, so I started making a point to often have two veg sides with dinner. It really helps me to feel full and satisfied.

You are right, the support here is the best. You can do it!

I am on day 11 and today has been the toughest day so far. I haven't had any cravings (which is shocking because I've always been a sugar junkie), but I'm so freaking hungry today. I've stuck to Whole 30 compliant foods - so far - but I've had to eat so much more today just to get through the day. It's weird. I've tried everything. I've had gallons of water, trying to ignore the hunger and then I just had to eat. I started with some nuts. Then, a ground beef/red pepper/green bean thing I had made with coconut milk in it. I was STILL hungry 30 minutes later. Now, I'm just going to go to bed and try to ignore it for today. Good luck, everyone! Almost half way there!

I am on day 11 and today has been the toughest day so far. I haven't had any cravings (which is shocking because I've always been a sugar junkie), but I'm so freaking hungry today. I've stuck to Whole 30 compliant foods - so far - but I've had to eat so much more today just to get through the day. It's weird. I've tried everything. I've had gallons of water, trying to ignore the hunger and then I just had to eat. I started with some nuts. Then, a ground beef/red pepper/green bean thing I had made with coconut milk in it. I was STILL hungry 30 minutes later. Now, I'm just going to go to bed and try to ignore it for today. Good luck, everyone! Almost half way there!

I've been feeling hungry at times too but just ignoring it. Hope that stops happening for us!

I've had times of more energy but other times not. Are you noticing dramatic or small changes in your health?

I have noticed my skin and hair getting worse, almost like it's PMS week, even though that's not supposed to be for another two weeks (sorry if that is TMI). Perhaps it has something to do with my hormones adjusting?

I do fall asleep easier and stay asleep through the night, which is new for me. Unfortunately, that means I have been groggier than usual in the morning - perhaps I'm sleeping too deeply?

I track my calories because I do overeat constantly - I have the appetite of a horse - and I am finding it super hard to adhere to the plan and stay ~1500 cals a day. I'm always ravenous by the time I get home from work, and then I eat what feels like a HUGE amount of food (protien + two veg sides, then usually berries or a spoonful of nut butter). Or I ignore the hunger and go to bed right after my son, who is 2...so really early, in other words! I hope most of all that this plan helps diminish my appetite. I have a sedentary job (lawyer) but I am super active in the mornings and evenings chasing my son, our family's pitbull, and cleaning/cooking, and on weekends I box for an hour each day.

I track my calories because I do overeat constantly - I have the appetite of a horse - and I am finding it super hard to adhere to the plan and stay ~1500 cals a day. I'm always ravenous by the time I get home from work, and then I eat what feels like a HUGE amount of food (protien + two veg sides, then usually berries or a spoonful of nut butter). Or I ignore the hunger and go to bed right after my son, who is 2...so really early, in other words! I hope most of all that this plan helps diminish my appetite. I have a sedentary job (lawyer) but I am super active in the mornings and evenings chasing my son, our family's pitbull, and cleaning/cooking, and on weekends I box for an hour each day.

Are you sure you're getting enough fat? Nut butter would give you that but not berries. Also, following the food template is helping me to not overeat.

Day 13.

Today I ran errands and had to catch myself several times from habits at the co-op. Fresh squeezed OJ bottles in a bowl of ice. NO. Wine aisle. NO. But their awesome smoked salmon--yes. Beef tenderloin--yes. There were lots of other yesses.

DH says my mood seems lots better than before W30. I know my energy levels are getting better.

We're almost halfway through! Hooray!

Half way through update. I am continuing to do very well. The last week had a few challenges for me personally as I encountered some emotional issues regarding family. I would normally dig into a large order of hot wings and pizza, but I did not. For me a large part of me eating is comfort and emotional so one of my goals is to monitor the times I struggle with cravings and discover if they are emotionally based. This program has been such a blessing to me, I finally feel I am on track to a healthy life. Hope everyone else I seeing the success I am. Cheers to the final two weeks and the health discoveries we greet at the end.

Fatbegone

Half way through update. I am continuing to do very well. The last week had a few challenges for me personally as I encountered some emotional issues regarding family. I would normally dig into a large order of hot wings and pizza, but I did not. For me a large part of me eating is comfort and emotional so one of my goals is to monitor the times I struggle with cravings and discover if they are emotionally based. This program has been such a blessing to me, I finally feel I am on track to a healthy life. Hope everyone else I seeing the success I am. Cheers to the final two weeks and the health discoveries we greet at the end.

Fatbegone

Awesome update.

I have noticed my skin and hair getting worse, almost like it's PMS week, even though that's not supposed to be for another two weeks (sorry if that is TMI). Perhaps it has something to do with my hormones adjusting?

I do fall asleep easier and stay asleep through the night, which is new for me. Unfortunately, that means I have been groggier than usual in the morning - perhaps I'm sleeping too deeply?

Hey, Emily. Maybe it would help if you posted what you are eating in the troubleshooting area of the Whole30. The moderators always have really great suggestions on what to do to in terms of your Whole30 if you are having some problems. Have you read ISWF, or any of the other Paleo guide books out there? I know most of the books I read were very detailed on their guidelines As I understand this...it is more of a plant based diet (lots of veggies to fill the plate), with healthily raised meats (about palm size portions of this, or as many eggs you can hold in one hand, with every meal - protein is important!), thumb size portions of added oils/healthy fats (although sometimes I eat combined fats, like 1/2 an avocado w/1tbsp or so of EVOO, or coconut oil), and minimal fruit. Are you eating any sweet potatoes with any meals? I usually try to throw in half a sweet potato here and there. I know that snacking away on tons of nuts is discouraged, because we are trying to break that pattern of snacking, but you can throw some in salads, and sometimes I crust my meat in ground almonds. I think it is best to open it up on the Troubleshooting forum though. You will get lots more educated feedback from Moderators who have way more experience than I do. :)

I am so proud of all of you and the great work you have done. I have enjoyed reading your posts and they all inspire me.

I have not done as well as you all have. I fell of the Whole30 wagon HARD yesterday. I am very disappointed in myself BUT find inspiration in this forum.

I am starting again, for the 4th time, today and am hopeful I will make it this time. I have learned a lot and am confident I will make it this time.

Good luck to you all and keep up the great work!

I am starting again, for the 4th time, today and am hopeful I will make it this time. I have learned a lot and am confident I will make it this time.

Go for it, mhyatt--best of luck!

I just realized today at church that on Day 2 I had blithely chomped a Wheat Thin communion cracker, LOL! Today I partook of one of the homemade almond flour crackers I carry in my handbag for that purpose for my gluten-intolerant dh. (Last Sunday, Day 8, I slept in and skipped.) I'll probably extend a day or two, but it doesn't seem as daunting to extend as it would have earlier on.

Day 20! I am surprised it's already here. I still am having killer sugar cravings and am wondering if I should keep going past 30 days. I know this because I've been obsessing about walking to Walgreens, purchasing a giant bag of Reese's hearts and eating them all in one sitting. This has been my obsession since day 3 or so. Grr, I can't wait to finally quell the Sugar Dragon so I can be obsessed with something else for a change!

On a positive note, I feel fantastic. Even though we're firmly in "lady time" territory, I have no cravings for chocolate (save the Reese's hearts, but that's different then TOM chocolate cravings for me), I'm actually pleasant towards my husband, and I don't want to nap all the time. Winning!

Day 20! On a positive note, I feel fantastic. Even though we're firmly in "lady time" territory, I have no cravings for chocolate (save the Reese's hearts, but that's different then TOM chocolate cravings for me), I'm actually pleasant towards my husband, and I don't want to nap all the time. Winning!

Winning is right! We're almost to Day 30 - I lost because I ate bacon with honey in it last week (...sigh!)

However, I'm going to just keep going and continue past the 30 days.

I'm finding my energy worth the trade off of not having ice cream, chocolate, rice, bread, etc. All that stuff that makes me sluggish!

Plus I bought myself some new running shorts yesterday and they look good! Bonus!! :)

missmunchie, good to see you're still on the path. Awesome that you're feeling so good.

I'm not craving or dreaming about favorite foods but I have dreamt that I accidentally ate noncompliant stuff.

I wish my clothes were getting looser. I'm having to eat a lot to not feel hungry, so maybe my metabolism is resetting or something. I hope that's it anyway.

Liking the good report, rojo!

It's Day 22!!

Experience to report: I went to a dinner last night (brought my own food) and sat next to a massage therapist who I've gone to. I told her about how we were eating and said I hadn' t noticed dramatic changes. She said she pays attention to cues in people that indicate their state of health, and she said I had better eye motion (not exactly sure what that means) and that my skin looks good--small wrinkles smoothing out. Loved hearing that objective evidence, especially the skin part. Music to my 50-something ears!

Eileen,

My aunt is a massage therapist. Her and her boyfriend are starting this way of life, and she is going to recommend it to her clients. She made similar comments to me when I had a mayofascial release massage a week and a half ago (she was really curious at what I had changed). My husband is as thin as a rail and I think he was bringing a lot of skepticism into this trial. Just yesterday, I noticed his skin more pink, firm, young looking (made sure to tell him how ridiculously good looking he is :D ). I also notice he is more talkative and less grumpy overall. He says his joints are not hurting as much now (Yay!). They used to ache all weekend and now they don't (they only ache after a long workday). Other than this though, he is not noticing much. I do though, and I keep encouraging him. Just the fact that he is learning and being more adventurous in the kitchen is amazing!

Eileen,

My aunt is a massage therapist. Her and her boyfriend are starting this way of life, and she is going to recommend it to her clients. She made similar comments to me when I had a mayofascial release massage a week and a half ago (she was really curious at what I had changed). My husband is as thin as a rail and I think he was bringing a lot of skepticism into this trial. Just yesterday, I noticed his skin more pink, firm, young looking (made sure to tell him how ridiculously good looking he is ). I also notice he is more talkative and less grumpy overall. He says his joints are not hurting as much now (Yay!). They used to ache all weekend and now they don't (they only ache after a long workday). Other than this though, he is not noticing much. I do though, and I keep encouraging him. Just the fact that he is learning and being more adventurous in the kitchen is amazing!

Rojo, it seems cool to me that your husband is going along even though skeptical, because it's not easy even when highly motivated. You sound like a fantastic support for him. Great that you're both noticing positive changes. My husband is noticing less aches too; his have been more chronic in the past though, not work related. So nice to get the rewards for our persistence!

I think I'm starting to see some slimming down, finally!

Well, I just completed day 21 and am happy to report that all is well. I started this right after being diagnosed as being severely anemic (my Fe was at 3). So, I think it's taken longer for me to feel any change in energy levels. BUT, this past few days I have actually noticed a bit more energy. I was able to play soccer on Friday night without feeling like I was having a heart attack. I go for blood work again this week, so I'll know if all the steak and spinach are paying off. Last time, I was told that I was borderline needing a blood transfusion because my iron is so dangerously low.

As far as the Whole 30 experience goes, my skin is definitely brighter. I'm sleeping sounder. And today I wore a pair of jeans that haven't fit in a really LONG time. I've made it through two hockey parent parties that were abundant with sweets and other junk as well as a silent auction/pub night fundraiser that lasted 6 hours and I really didn't feel like I was missing out at all. I made sure I ate a good protein and fat meal before heading out and drank gallons of water so I felt hydrated and satisfied the whole evening. I've been very lucky to not really have much in the way of cravings (which is shocking because I am a sugar addict and I am weak).

I'm going to try going back to the gym this week to see how I feel. I was ordered to stop working out until I started feeling better and the chest pains and light-headedness went away. I've been feeling good this past week, so I'll try a light workout and maybe get a bit more benefit out of this whole thing.

Good job to all of you who have made it this far. I'm looking forward to the satisfaction of finishing the 30 days, but I know this is a lifestyle for me now. I don't see myself going back to the way I used to eat. I just feel so many good changes starting to happen now. Have a great week everyone!

Archived