IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome

I'm wondering if anyone has been successful using Whole30 to improve IBS. I've tried various things in the past, none of which has shown any real improvement. E.g. Low FODMAP, gluten free, dairy free.  

I'm starting my first round fairly soon, so would be nice to start off feeling positive. 

• Administrators

Welcome! We've had quite a large number of people on the forum who have been able to mitigate their symptoms of IBS, yes. Below are three testimonials from our website:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

“After a few weeks (on the Whole30) I began to notice some changes. I could eat foods like broccoli and eggs again without any major digestion upset and having fewer IBS attacks and spasms. And just before the end of the first 30 days, I stopped taking my last antibiotic.”  Elise H., Whole30 web site

“I have always had a very ‘sensitive’ stomach for as long as I can remember. The pain, intensity and sensitivity only increased with age. After spending hours with doctors performing countless exams and diagnostic procedures, they still had no clue what the heck was wrong with me and diagnosed me with the catch all… IBS. After so many years of pain with no end in sight and modern medicine unable to diagnose or treat my IBS I decided to be my own advocate and give the Whole30 a try. I can only say that from day one I was beyond thrilled with my body’s response! I have had NO abdominal pain after eating and no emergent dashes to the bathroom. I truly haven’t felt this good in I can’t remember when!” -Shelley P., as submitted to Whole30 testimonials

I’ve struggled with IBS for the past two years. After a colonoscopy, unhelpful medication, and over a year of discomfort after almost every meal, it’s safe to say I’ve had an unhealthy relationship with food. My weight has fluctuated up and down at an abnormal rate for about a year now. 30 days ago I started a new journey to a new relationship with food. And I did it. And I’m proud. I’ve never been a “healthy” person. Now, I feel healthy. I sleep better. I have more energy. And after every meal these past 30 days I’ve had no pain. Blane S., Dallas TX

I've had IBS for 40 years - pain, gas, spasms, constipation, diarrhea - you name it, I've had it - sometimes all at once. My IBS cleared up after the 3rd week and bowel function normalized without needing 60gm of fibre everyday. After a bout of Eating All the Things during a work event a couple of weeks ago, I had a terrible flare up but, once I returned to my 95% compliance, I got sorted again. I'm 5 days into a second W30 and feel great.

My reintro didn't pinpoint any specific foods (maybe dairy? but that wasn't completely obvious) causing my problem - I think W30 allowed my guts to heal for once.

I plan to stay 95 - 100% W30 forever - this 2nd W30 has been a breeze so far :)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious to see if my ibs clears up. I’m suspicious of all the gluten I’m eating. I have constant, unresolved unexplained nausea despite several medications (Zofran, Prilosec). Next step is to see a gastroenterologist, pretty much. I’ll find out if the whole 30 helps or not.

Archived