too many sweet potatoes?

This is my second whole30 and I'm on Day 6.

My first round was incredible--for the physical AND mental transformation. I worked through a lot of food issues, dropped 10 pounds and 9 inches, and felt so, so good.

This time around my goal was to really keep working on my mental issues with food (there are A LOT of them) and to try and really remind myself that life doesn't have to revolve around food, but that food can be an enjoyable addition to my life.

Here's the thing--I freaking LOVE sweet potatoes. As in, I could eat three a day and still want to snack on more. Is it possible to eat too many? Is it possible that I could have a sweet potato dragon that I now need to conquer? I'm still nursing my 18-month old son, so I find that the starchy carbs REALLY help me feel full and satisfied after meals and sweet potatoes are my favorites. I'll also eat lots of carrots and squash, so I'm not ONLY eating sweet potatoes, but man...I want too.

I don't want to give them up, but I also don't want to trade one "addiction" for another, even if it's a healthier choice. Has anyone else dealt with this, or have any input?

If you are eating them with balanced meals then it's not a problem...sweet potatoes are good for you :) The problem would be if you were not getting enough other foods, if you were just eating them by themselves as substitutes for sugary foods, or if you were eating them in a dessert type way.

Speaking as someone who has also had many mental food issues in the past and a fellow sweet potato admirer, I think it's a good idea for you to follow your own advice: "food can be an enjoyable addition to my life", eat your potatoes and enjoy them, then move on. They provide vitamins and energy for your brain and body, especially when both of these are active. Plus you're nursing! Eat them, and forget about this kind of sweet potato analysis, it's not necessary.

Have you tried the white or purple ones? They are delicious and great for variety!

Suzy, that's not why they're out, but I think the poster above was talking about white and purple sweet potatoes. These are A okay!

The purple ones are hard to find, but I hear they taste like cake!

Okay Renee, I had a purple sweet potato from my mom's garden. It so didn't taste like cake. :)

Archived