Portable Protein ... this is frustrating.

It's easy to find portable fat, and even easier to find portable carbs. But for days when you have to be on the go, I see no way to eat protein without also carrying around a cooler. I thought I had found a solution in the Larabars that are the "protein" kind, but apparently pea protein is also out. What do you do for portable protein?

Pretty annoyed right now because while I've devoted the last 18 days solid to this, school is starting (I'm a teacher) and this is not feasible unless you're full-time in the kitchen. 

** edit:

Part of my frustration is that I feel this has helped me so much that I'd rather just live this way. But it's impossible. Why should eating the way that's best for me be impossible?

• Moderators

Compliant jerky, Epic bars, or similar -- there are some on the Whole30 Approved page, but there may be other compliant version available at your local grocery store, or online. Cans of salmon or tuna or other fish (and maybe even canned chicken, though this seems harder to find). RXBars are not ideal, they're still pretty fruit-heavy, but they do have egg whites in them. 

There are insulated lunch bags in a variety of sizes, you might be able to find something that wouldn't be quite as bulky as a cooler but would still hold at least your protein to give you more options. 

You could also go kind of the other way, instead of trying to keep food cool, get a thermos, fill it with soup or stew or chili or something similar, and keep it warm until you need it. There are even small crockpots, if you have a place to plug them in, that can keep food warm. 

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, alvastarr said:

Pretty annoyed right now because while I've devoted the last 18 days solid to this, school is starting (I'm a teacher) and this is not feasible unless you're full-time in the kitchen

I'm sorry you're feeling annoyed :(  It's definitely a different way of planning your food and meals but it does get easier.  Most people who do the program are not full-time in the kitchen and have very richly scheduled lives.  If you can work on getting your meals to last you 4-5 hours between then even being 'on the go' is going to be easier because you've got quite a big gap of time that you can reasonably go without needing food... then if you can find even one thing that works for you for protein from the suggestions Shannon had above, you can use that as a snack and get to your next meal.

Making your own jerky is super easy and SOOOO much cheaper than buying it!! The cost of pre-made jerky makes me want to cry.

I take a lean cut of beef, pop it in the freezer until it's stiff but not solid and cut into very thin strips along the grain. Marinade in a mix of coconut aminos, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne to taste and sit it in the fridge overnight. I have a dehydrator I use, but if you don, then lay the strips out over a rack in the oven and bake at he lowest setting with the door slightly open for a number of hours until they're stiff but don't crack when you bend them and voila! I make a big batch and keep it in the fridge.

You can also use ground meat, mix it with the seasonings and roll it out thin and cut into strips and dry the same way, but on a tray and making sure to flip them a few times.

I'm on my 3rd round and have a very demanding full time job. It takes some extra time spent in the kitchen 1 day a week to prep for the rest of the week, but it's worth it!

Archived