Can i have Crepini Egg Thins?

suzhtz

Found these at costco today and thought they’d be good to wrap around a chix sausage for breakfast.  But i know W30 prohibts making pancakes with compliant ingredients, so this item might cross that line.    TIA for your help!

Ingredient list is on the photo, but I’ll also list here:  Cage-free egg white, cage-free egg whole, cauliflower powder, olive oil, sea salt, xanthan gum, spices, citric acid.

12F5FB89-93C0-4061-846C-EA21E1C995C1.jpeg

Sorry to inform you, but this is not allowed. It falls under the rule to not recreate baked goods. Specifically, the website says: 

*Some specific foods that fall under this rule include: pancakes, crepes, waffles, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, alternative flour pizza crust or pastas, granola, cereal, or ice cream. No commercially-prepared chips (potato, tortilla, plantain, etc.) or French fries either. While this list of off-limit foods applies to everyone (even those who “don’t have a problem” with pancakes), you may decide to exclude additional foods that you already know make you feel out of control, like RXBARs or almond butter. (See page 95 in The Whole30 for guidance.)

I responded over on the other topic with an idea for making your own egg wrap at home (literally just a thinly cooked scrambled egg, as opposed to adding anything into it to attempt a recreation of crepes), which has worked really well for me in the past and should work fine for wrapping around a breakfast sausage to eat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, Jihanna said:

I responded over on the other topic with an idea for making your own egg wrap at home (literally just a thinly cooked scrambled egg, as opposed to adding anything into it to attempt a recreation of crepes), which has worked really well for me in the past and should work fine for wrapping around a breakfast sausage to eat.

But it is still a wrap,  even if you make your own crepe. I dont get it. It is EGG, has no flours and easier to hold your meats than lettuce. I never ate crepes before Whole30, so these egg things are in no way triggering a pancake or waffle replacement for me and are more convenient than making your own egg crepe (double standard), as suggested.

44 minutes ago, DonnaGail said:

But it is still a wrap,  even if you make your own crepe. I dont get it. It is EGG, has no flours and easier to hold your meats than lettuce. I never ate crepes before Whole30, so these egg things are in no way triggering a pancake or waffle replacement for me and are more convenient than making your own egg crepe (double standard), as suggested.

Because it would be a whole slippery slope of contradictions and confusion if every single rule in the Whole30 looked like this:

No pancakes or recreations of baked goods (tortillas, waffles, muffins, etc). Unless you don't usually eat pancakes. Or toast. Or tacos. Or unless you really don't actually like muffins, but you're so tired of eggs that a concoction of almond flour, eggs, and fruit will be the one thing that keeps you from going off the rails and housing the package of cookies you left in the pantry for your kids. 

-----

The thinly cooked scrambled egg thing mentioned above is not a crepe in the same way that spiral-cut zucchini is not pasta. The first is an omelette and the second is squash cut in thin strips. Cooking or cutting something in a slightly different way to achieve your purpose (like cauliflower "rice" or zoodles) is completely different than taking a compliant thing (i.e. a head of cauliflower) and mixing a bunch of other stuff in it to make it something indistinguishable from what it originally was (i.e. "wraps" made with "cauliflower powder"...what has to happen to a head of cauliflower to turn it into a powder? That kinda screams franken-food to me). 

I feel like you're seriously getting hung up on words rather than the spirit of the Whole30. 

6 hours ago, DonnaGail said:

Crepini is a crepe made with a flour substitute (cauliflower powder). This makes it totally paleo-friendly, but definitely is against the spirit of Whole30. Making your own crepe would definitely still be against the rules, because it would be a recreation of a pancake-like product. Whisking an egg and frying it thinly is NOT a crepe, however -- it's an egg, nothing else added to make it crepe-like.

For ongoing health, it's fine. But if you're mid-round then it's not okay for Whole30.

I guess if you are really into crepes, pancakes, waffles and muffins, it might pose a trigger.  Since those things are not a trigger for me or my hubby, I will continue to use them to hold our sausage, egg and hash browns, topped with salsa (all sugar free of course) and my ham and turkey slices with saurkraut. ;-)

13 minutes ago, DonnaGail said:

I guess if you are really into crepes, pancakes, waffles and muffins, it might pose a trigger.  Since those things are not a trigger for me or my hubby, I will continue to use them to hold our sausage, egg and hash browns, topped with salsa (all sugar free of course) and my ham and turkey slices with saurkraut. ;-)

So, I think it's really great that you're here supporting people and sharing your experience. 
But can you please maybe be a little more thoughtful about your "it's not a trigger for me so I don't care" attitude? If you're using them now and you're not doing a Whole30, that's fine, but maybe a "they're great for my Food Freedom when I'm not in the middle of a Whole30" could be included? Because it really comes across like your entire Whole30 philosophy is "screw the rules, I'll do what I want". 

@DonnaGail When a question is posted here in the "Can I Have?" forum, it's generally because the poster is on-round and wants to know if they can use it during Whole30. The official Whole30 stance on recreations like this is that they're off-limits for everyone on round, even those who "don't have a problem" with those foods. That's the filter that gets applied to questions here, to determine whether a thing is on-plan or should be held until one is exploring food freedom... because it's safe to assume that the person asking is either mid-round at the time or plans to be on-round soon and is trying to prepare.

Hope that helps to clarify why we're so adamant that the Crepini Egg Thins are definitely not allowed during a round, but could be useful during food freedom :) 

Archived