Some fat options

Olga21

Hi all! 

I am on round two of the whole30. The first round I started in June. I felt better, and ate better after ending after 45 days. But... then I slipped back into eating sugar and treats post healthy meals. 

Anyways, my question is this: what are some good healthy fats that people like? I have been eating half an avocado with eatery meal for months. I love avocado, and don’t mind having them with every meal. The problem is- it’s getting pretty expensive. So what are some other good options that people use instead of avocado? I’ve read that but better is not a great option for getting your healthy fat in. 

Thank you! 

Here are some of my favorite options for fats. Some are pretty well integrated with my meals and some are just handfuls of stuff I add in to satisfy the need for fat at every meal. 

• ghee (I eat potatoes a lot, so I generously use ghee with my potatoes)
  • oil-based salad dressing on a salad (sometimes I'll just have a small side salad so that this can be my fat option)
  • large handful of olives (I was never an olive fan, but I've come to like Castelvetrano olives)
  • bacon (did you know bacon counts as fat? it does! and I kinda eat a lot of it)
  • handful of coconut flakes
  • guacamole (I love dipping chicken in it) 

I hope this helps! 

Olive oil. It's great on almost anything.
If you have a salad of any sort, make a simple vinagrette (or spice it up!).
If you want a more dense dressing, make mayo (or any of its many variants).
If you are roasting veggies, make sure to use a generous amount of oil.
If you have boiled anything and it tastes bland (think boiled potatoes and hardboiled eggs) sprinkle some black pepper, paprila and drizzle a generous amount of olive oil. Dish saved.

I also have always on hand some olives. You can add them to pretty much any dish, it's a nice finishing touch.

Cashews and nuts are cool too. Perfect to add to an stir-fry, perfect as a salad topping.
I love them but sometimes I end up snacking on them so it's something I need to watch out.

"Coconut Spread" is what I use for baked potatoes, which is basically just coconut oil that I've blended with seasonings (I typically mix in salt, pepper, garlic, and sometimes dry mustard). Add in a little olive oil and you get a slightly buttery taste (do not mistake this for me saying it'll taste like butter, because it only hints at it). I can't use ghee due to a dairy allergy (reintro proved that it does affect me), so this is my go-to spread when I'm staying strictly compliant and another that I prefer when I'm just doing my food freedom thing. :) 

I like using my homemade mayo as a base for dips and dressings, by adding herbs and spices to suit whatever flavor I want at the time.

Olives are my absolute favorite fat source. I don't get them often because I know they have been a food with no brakes for me in the past, so when I do have them I make sure to measure them and limit myself to just that measured amount each day until they run out.

Coconut flakes aren't something I can eat on their own, but I've come to really enjoy them as part of "breading" on meat that's being fried.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived