Jan 7 starters group

Stepford WASP

Day 3 for me.

Day 2 (1/9/2013)

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, salsa

Lunch: mixed kale and spinach with grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, one avocado, cashews

Dinner: ground beef, broccoli, and marinara over spaghetti squash (VERY yum)

Beverages: two cups of coffee with coconut milk, lots of water with lemon, some sparkling water, and one cup of hibiscus tea

Sleep: still having a hard time falling asleep and waking every 2-3 hours

Headaches: better today but still present

Energy level: low

Digestion: good since lunch yesterday, normal bowels this AM

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! I am glad someone else is having hot flashes too. I am on bio-identical hormones and don't normally have them, but I sure am right now. Weird huh?

I slept much better last night, other than getting up to pee three times.

I woke up feeling a bit more energetic but by the time I did my workout (which should have been easy but wasn't!) and then took the dog for a walk, I feel like I have done a day's work and it is only noon.

I am having trouble regulating my appetite. I feel hungry, genuinely hungry, but after a very small amount of food, I feel full.

No headaches, no need to kill someone just yet.

Melelina, I'm having the same thing - feeling full after a small amount of food, knowing I shouldn't be done eating. I'm going to stop when I feel full for a few days and see how it goes.

Jessica, that sounds like a delish breakfast!

~~~

I am grateful to have several natural grocers where I live. I found many boxes of tea that are compliant, and picked up some coconut aminos. My ghee also arrived from Amazon (love my Prime shipping) and can't wait to try that.

I'm a little more tired today, but that could very well be due to my not enough sleep (again) last night. My biggest challenge is definitely sleep. No headaches, stomach is good and well. I'm going to start adding fish oil to my diet again, so we'll see how long my stomach remains well.

Some small cravings here and there, but nothing awful...I forget about them with a bit of distraction.

A note on fat intake: the last time I did a similar diet to the whole30, my average fat intake was around 60%...give or take a few percentage points :) I was losing weight and leaned out quite a bit in that time - cured my fear of eating too much fat, that's for sure!

I had a Chipotle burrito bowl last night for dinner. Super thankful there is one place I can still stick to the Whole30 if I don't plan well for my evenings.

Hi everyone,

New to this group... been Whole30"ing" since Jan 7.

A bit about me:

- Prior to Whole 30, dabbled in paleo/primal

- Big fan of Mark's Daily Apple

- Wheat free for a couple years

- Gluten free for almost as long

- Since day 1, have given up dairy, corn, sugar, gluten-free crap

- I have co-conspirators: my hubby and sister-in-law

Been feeling great! Miss my coffee & cream/sugar :( but enjoying coffe & coconut milk/cream. Side effects: sleep not great (have a nagging cough keeping me up at night), eczema acting up.

Now a recipe for yummy lettuce wraps we had last night:

1 lb ground pork/beef mix

1 small head of cauliflower

1 clove garlic, chopped finely

ghee

mushrooms

romaine lettuce

green onions

salt/pepper to taste

Brown ground meat with garlic, salt, pepper. Sautee mushrooms in ghee. Steam cauliflower, then rinse with cold water. Grate cauliflower into meat mixture (it's like a rice/ground meat mixture). Chop green onions as a garnish. Assembly: romaine lettuce + meat/cauliflower + mushrooms + green onions. My hubby added salsa to his too.

Smiles,

Patty

Hi Day 5ers. I want to share my new favorite go-to lunch salad:

Bed of spinach greens

1 cooked beet, cut into cubes

1/2 small cooked sweet potatoe, cut into cubes

grilled chicken, cut into bite size pieces

black cherry vinegar (or your favorite vinegar)

place on plate in that order and YUMMM!

I have found a local oil and vinegar store with delicious vinegars from which to chose. Very helpful on this plan. You don't need much.

another note: I love how when I grill up my chicken thighs, my 9 year old daughter can't keep her hands off them! LOVE THAT. I cut them into strips and put them on a stick for her. (but I don't pretend to be perfect; she still eats bread!)

Yum, both those meals sound great!

I'm going to post my daily meals in my log (linked in signature) but just mention anything particularly good here. I made some of the homemade mayo, and it made a delicious dip for my grilled chicken.

I slept a little better last night but am still very fatigued. Headaches are gone though.

Day 4 here today.

Day 5 and doing pretty well. I finally feel like I got a good night sleep last night and I must be navigating early morning pre-WO food better because my morning of power cleans at crossfit felt great. I had a couple friends over for dinner and proved to myself and them that taco salad could rock without chips and cheese.

I'm a little apprehensive about the weekend, but also excited to pick up my bountiful basket in the morning and see what kind of veggies I have to work with. After buying all my veggies at the grocery store last weekend, I have a whole new appreciation for the $15-25 I pay for a basket!

@lindyJ, what's a bountiful basket? Did you mention it earlier?

@Stepford WASP. Bountiful baskets (bountifulbaskets.org) is a volunteer organization that works to provide at cost fruits and veggies. Kind of like a CSA, but not always as local as I'd like. Living in the middle of no where (Wyoming), produce is really expensive. You order a basket on Monday and pick it up when the truck brings it in on Saturday. You get a huge basket of fruits and veggies for $15 ($25 if you buy the organic). You don't have any control over what's in the basket, it's based on what the organization can source and what's in season. I probably bought an equivalent amount of veggies last weekend for ~$50. If they deliver in your area, it's definitely worth the effort!

@Stepford WASP. Bountiful baskets (bountifulbaskets.org) is a volunteer organization that works to provide at cost fruits and veggies. Kind of like a CSA, but not always as local as I'd like. Living in the middle of no where (Wyoming), produce is really expensive. You order a basket on Monday and pick it up when the truck brings it in on Saturday. You get a huge basket of fruits and veggies for $15 ($25 if you buy the organic). You don't have any control over what's in the basket, it's based on what the organization can source and what's in season. I probably bought an equivalent amount of veggies last weekend for ~$50. If they deliver in your area, it's definitely worth the effort!

I am so excited about this. I remember hearing about it in my area, but could not remember for the life of me who told me about it. Just went to their website. Can't wait to try it.

That sounds really good. I have no control over what's in my CSA, either. The summer before last, I thought my head woudl explode from all the kohlrabi!

Anyway, we're done for the season until early June, so I am going to look into this, thanks.

Oh, good point. I'll bet ours is over here unless they are importing from Mexico and Chili. I am going to go to the location tomorrow to check it out.

Hey guys! I am doing good today. I have a bit more energy and my appetite seems to have levelled out. Unlike yesterday, I am hungry but at the appropriate times and I am able to eat a normal amount.

It is hard to learn how to listen to my body's signals. After years of not listening - by tracking every single thing that went into my mouth, and then comparing it to my burn, and then eating or not eating depending on my deficit...well, let's just say doing it this way is interesting. Am I overeating? Am I undereating? Whoa...what about all this fat??? ;)

I was having trouble with my workouts and have upped my carb consumption the last two days. I am not as sore or dragging my butt quite the same as I have been so maybe that has helped.

I haven't had any headaches at all. I also think my moods have been more stable this week than they usually are so I haven't had to kill anyone - at least not yet.

Still having trouble getting to sleep.

I was running strong this morning but hit a rough patch this afternoon. I have to remember it's not nearly as bad as the carb crashes I'd have during the Christmas season! And my stomach feels a lot better than that too :P

Took a nap and already started having Whole30 cheating dreams. What?! On day 5 already?!!

Tomorrow I run an obstacle 5k and I'm really hoping my energy levels hold out for it.

Babysat my nieces this evening. Learned my lesson about being prepared. Their whole house is full of snacky type items that I would usually gorge myself on. I was tough and stuck it out, but it wasn't easy! Especially when the dog ate half the bacon for my sweet potato bacon soup and it turned out not nearly as filling as it was supposed to be!

Day 5 went well. I felt pretty good all day, though maybe not my most alert (but the day was very slow at work so I'm sure that's part of it). Sleeping is still restless. I feel like i'm sort of dreaming, sort of worrying all night about what to eat and what is compliant, etc. Or having crazy dreams. I think I'm getting a little bored with food choices and turning to eggs a bit too much (I've been eating about 4 per day), so I'll be making some new recipes this weekend for the week (excited about that!). I tried running for the first time since starting Whole30, and that didn't go so well. I ran out of energy quickly and could tell my body wanted carbs when I finished because I ate a lot of compliant food but nothing was enough. Then I had no energy for the rest of the evening and went to bed early (and slept 11-12 hours!)

I've been craving so many non-compliant foods whenever I see them on commercials or in my apt (roommate is doing weight watchers, so we have generally a lot of healthy food around, but its still a totally different approach!). But I've been good so far...

Hope everyone else had a successful first 5 days!

I completely went off plan yesterday, because I was dealing with a serious emotional upset the evening of day 4 into day 5. When I get upset like that, I usually completely lose my appetite. At that point, I decided it was more important to just something into my stomach rather than stay whole 30 compliant.

However, I'm going to continue my whole 30 and get back on track today. Maybe I'll add an extra few days on at the end to get the full benefits.

On the other hand, I barely ate anything yesterday, even if it was all off plan. I had a thai iced tea that I'm pretty sure contains dairy, 5 pieces of sushi with soy sauce, and something like 10 crackers.

Oh I must boast! My girls (age 8 and 9) surprised me with a Whole 30 breakfast in bed! They brought up a green smoothie (kale, mango, grapes, frozen banana, ice and water), bacon omelet cooked in coconut oil, black coffee and sliced melon. My smoothie even had an umbrella in it, and it was in my (then) wine glass! They've been paying attention! For those of you worried at all, Dad helped with the Vitamix. :)

Anyway, I was proud.

and btw: I'm feeling much better as the headaches have left the building.

I have an increasingly bad cold now and am still waking up in the night, which isn't normal for me. On the bright side, I discovered Texas Roadhouse is an easy place to be compliant. Just order a sirloin with a plain sweet potato and broccoli. That meal was a couple hours late, so I had some olives as a snack beforehand.

Archived