Am I doing this right?

Mackenzy

I'm a twenty year old female who is doing the Whole30 to get back on track with proper eating aka KILL THE SUGAR DRAGON! I also have always had vitamin deficiencies... ever since I was little. I also don't have breakfast as soon as I wake up. I'm just not hungry. I usually have a tea and then an hour or two later I will eat something. I am day 3 of my Whole30 journey and I feel AWFUL... I have the hangover headache described in the timeline, but I also feel nauseous, brain fogged, tired, and repulsed by certain foods. Here's what I've been eating so far...

Day 1:

Brunch - Two sunny side eggs, two palm sizes of potato hash fried with olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Water to drink.
Dinner - Small salmon fillet with garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, with asparagus and whipped potatoes, all with salt and pepper.  Water to drink. 

Day 2: 

Breakfast - Green tea black, handful of almonds, smoothie (raspberries and 1 banana)
Lunch - Cauliflower rice, shrimp, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, all pan fried in olive oil, with apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Water to drink.
Dinner - Burrito bowl (cauliflower rice, lean ground beef, onions, green onions, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and guacamole. Water to drink.

Day 3 (So far):

Breakfast - Green tea, almonds (I woke up extremely nauseous, I couldn't eat anything else!)
Lunch - Vegetable beef soup, with a side of a few carrots, almonds, and then a smoothie with banana, raspberries, and spinach.

I feel awful. I feel dizzy. I have an awful headache! 

Am I doing this right!? Please let me know...

• Moderators

It's hard to tell serving sizes, but this doesn't seem like a lot of food, especially on the day you only ate two meals. 

Try to eat as soon as you wake up, even if you feel nauseous. Take a few bites and see if you're okay, then try a few more bites. Obviously if you are really feeling like you're going to throw up, stop eating, but sometimes when you feel nauseous, food can help settle your stomach. 

Ditch the smoothies. Try soups instead for an easy, make-ahead dish that many people like for breakfast. Maybe a creamy butternut squash soup, or try a chicken soup like this one:  https://www.stephgaudreau.com/healing-chicken-soup-paleo-whole30/ -- the ginger may help settle your stomach even more. If your soup doesn't contain protein, you can add leftovers to your serving or have it on the side. For something like the chicken soup, you could add diced avocado to each serving to get your healthy fat in for the meal.

When eggs are your only protein in a meal, aim for as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4.  For other protein, make sure your serving is at least the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, and more is ok. It can be hard to judge this in a soup, but really try to ensure you're getting at least that much.

Add a serving or two of fat to each meal, usually in addition to the oil you cook in. A serving of avocado is a half to a whole avocado, a serving of olives is a big handful or two. 

I also struggled with  breakfast for a long time. I'm a Lucky-Charms-for-breakfast-kind-of-girl. I can wake up and immediately eat sugary deliciousness all day, every day. But waking up and eating real food quite literally made me want to throw up. When I first began experimenting with Whole30 (I'm nearly through my third round now), I would regularly have an actual gag reflex when I would try to eat a Whole30 meal in the morning. 

But, I've now come to enjoy warm cauliflower soup and scrambled eggs. I was never a scrambled eggs person, but, for some reason, I can stomach them with some warm soup. Here's my very favorite recipe: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/. It's mild and creamy and delicious! 

Anyway, I hope this helps! To me, it definitely looks like you need to be eating more food and fat! 

On 9/24/2019 at 1:59 PM, ShannonM816 said:

It's hard to tell serving sizes, but this doesn't seem like a lot of food, especially on the day you only ate two meals. 

Try to eat as soon as you wake up, even if you feel nauseous. Take a few bites and see if you're okay, then try a few more bites. Obviously if you are really feeling like you're going to throw up, stop eating, but sometimes when you feel nauseous, food can help settle your stomach. 

Ditch the smoothies. Try soups instead for an easy, make-ahead dish that many people like for breakfast. Maybe a creamy butternut squash soup, or try a chicken soup like this one:  https://www.stephgaudreau.com/healing-chicken-soup-paleo-whole30/ -- the ginger may help settle your stomach even more. If your soup doesn't contain protein, you can add leftovers to your serving or have it on the side. For something like the chicken soup, you could add diced avocado to each serving to get your healthy fat in for the meal.

When eggs are your only protein in a meal, aim for as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4.  For other protein, make sure your serving is at least the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, and more is ok. It can be hard to judge this in a soup, but really try to ensure you're getting at least that much.

Add a serving or two of fat to each meal, usually in addition to the oil you cook in. A serving of avocado is a half to a whole avocado, a serving of olives is a big handful or two. 

I'm also a very tiny person, I'm 5 foot and 1 inch tall and weigh around 110 pounds. I've always been small, and I think I fill up faster than most people with less food... not sure if that's an actual thing though. I do make sure to fill my plate completely, and eat everything on it. 

Soup for breakfast? Sounds great to me. Especially in fall. I'll try that out. Thank you! 

Also... are there any other fats I can be eating? I really am not a fan of avocado. 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, kirbz said:

I also struggled with  breakfast for a long time. I'm a Lucky-Charms-for-breakfast-kind-of-girl. I can wake up and immediately eat sugary deliciousness all day, every day. But waking up and eating real food quite literally made me want to throw up. When I first began experimenting with Whole30 (I'm nearly through my third round now), I would regularly have an actual gag reflex when I would try to eat a Whole30 meal in the morning. 

But, I've now come to enjoy warm cauliflower soup and scrambled eggs. I was never a scrambled eggs person, but, for some reason, I can stomach them with some warm soup. Here's my very favorite recipe: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/. It's mild and creamy and delicious! 

Anyway, I hope this helps! To me, it definitely looks like you need to be eating more food and fat! 

I haven't been a big breakfast person my whole life! I can't eat anything until about an hour or two after I wake up. I ALWAYS have a tea first thing in the morning though. Went from my classic orange pekoe to plain green tea. Surprisingly I haven't been missing it.

I'll definitely try some soup and eggs for breakfast! Sounds like something I could stomach.

Do you have any fat suggestions? (Other than avocado... I hate it so much! Haha!) 

Thank you for your input! It helps :)

@Mackenzy In general though, there are lots of fat options! Here are some of my personal favorites. Some are pretty well integrated with my meals and some are just handfuls of stuff I add in to satisfy the need for fat at every meal. 

• ghee (I eat potatoes a lot, so I generously use ghee with my potatoes)
  • oil-based salad dressing on a salad (sometimes I'll just have a small side salad so that this can be my fat option)
  • large handful of olives (I was never an olive fan, but I've come to like Castelvetrano olives)
  • bacon (did you know bacon counts as fat? it does! and I kinda eat a lot of it)
  • handful of coconut flakes
  • guacamole (I love dipping chicken in it) 

This thread has more ideas: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/57495-some-fat-options/?tab=comments#comment-510530

I don't think it tastes too much like cauliflower. I'm not sure how to describe the taste, but it doesn't taste a lot like cauliflower. Even my boyfriend who doesn't like cauliflower actually like this soup. It's really just a mild, creamy, warm taste. It's almost a little bit like a Campbell's cream of chicken soup... 

Sorry I can't be more specific! 

You can use a beef bone broth instead of just beef broth (also may be easier to find compliant), and add in an extra clove of garlic maybe, and that'll give it more flavor of other things rather than just straight up cauliflower. I've made it with chicken bone broth and it definitely gives more of a creamy soup vibe than a mashed cauliflower vibe. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Anhe said:

Stupid question: how much does cauliflower taste to cauliflower in this recipe? (I know, it is cauliflower, it have to taste to cauliflower then, but...)

I make a similar soup during cold weather, with cauliflower and butternut squash. I don't think you taste the cauliflower at all. I do use frozen cauliflower, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. 

17 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I make a similar soup during cold weather, with cauliflower and butternut squash. I don't think you taste the cauliflower at all. I do use frozen cauliflower, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. 

Yes! I love using frozen cauliflower in soups because you can get it on sale for so dang cheap and I somehow manage to find little bits of cauliflower all over the kitchen if I chop up a head myself. I really only buy a whole head if I want roasted cauliflower. I know you can roast from frozen, but that's just about the one veggie I don't think it works well wit. 

Archived