Did I screw up??

This is Day 29 of my first Whole 30. I have been perfect from start until, well now. Every piece of food I have put in my mouth has been homemade with all natural, compliant ingredients. I haven't had so much as a black coffee from anywhere other than my kitchen. Clothes are looser and I feel great! Tonight, I completely spaced out. I was hungry and there was a bottle of dry roasted peanuts on the table. I somehow completely forgot I couldn't have peanuts (I know that sounds crazy). I even checked the ingredients to make sure there was no sugar or oils I couldn't have. The ingredients were peanuts and salt. I took a handful and ate them. Then my friend said to me "I thought you couldn't have peanuts?" I honestly don't know how I made such a dumb mistake. This is Day 29. I know there is an article that says that any slip requires a restart. Do I really have to go back to Day 1? I'm so proud of myself for how well I've done and SO disappointed that I made this ridiculous mistake!

• Moderators

You should be proud of yourself, you've done so well! 29 days of healthy meals is a great thing! And you know that it's been good for you, because you've seen results. 

Ultimately, it's up to you whether to restart or not. (Here's the article that explains the reasons for starting over if you need it:   https://whole30.com/start-over/).  Unfortunately your body doesn't know the difference between something you ate accidentally versus something you ate on purpose, it reacts the same either way. And none of us can really say how much difference one more day of whole30 eating could make.

Whatever you do, don't throw away the last month of healthy habits over this. Go back to whole30 eating while you sort out how you want to proceed.

Thank you. I was honestly crushed to make this mistake so far in. I had planned to stick to Whole30 in a majority of ways even after the 30 days was over but with small allowances on occasion. I will still consider this a success because I've changed my outlook on food and I'm not willing to go back to any of the really bad foods I was eating before, and perfection for 29 days has to count for something! 

I may just start over, but maybe not right now. It's just so hurtful to feel the pride I had felt just a few hours ago now completely sucked out of me. :unsure: On Day 29! Ugh...

• Administrators
15 hours ago, WholeChelle said:

It's just so hurtful to feel the pride I had felt just a few hours ago now completely sucked out of me. :unsure: On Day 29! Ugh...

Don't let this dim your pride, you deserve to feel great about yourself even if you make a mistake. Translate this into real world situations. We don't throw down our resignation letter at work because the printer ran out of paper.  We don't burn the house down because the windows are dirty. On the whole you did a great thing for yourself and you made a mistake along the way. You're human! ;) 

Don't beat yourself up - we're not and you shouldn't!

Day 29 out of 30, after which you start reintroducing foods.

Personally, I'd consider that to be peanut reintro and take note of everything that could be possible reactions to them, using that as part of my reintro data. Then I'd give myself several days to recover before moving on to my next reintroduction, just as intended.

Did you do a full 30 days before moving on with the plan? No. However, most medical elimination diets require you to forgo the list of allergens/foods for at least 21 days (and ideally 28+) in order to make sure your system is cleared out and prepared for testing. So while you didn't complete a full "Whole30", you certainly did remain on the elimination phase long enough to have cleared your system to a point where reintroduction testing is possible.

Now, I'm not a medical professional and am certainly not giving medical advice. I'm also only someone who completed a couple of Whole30 rounds, rather than someone who has an official say within this realm. 

But that said, I think you should be proud of yourself and would consider this a win in terms of being able to evaluate peanuts first, and then follow with other foods/groups that you've been avoiding for the past 4 weeks.

Archived