What kind of meats?

lilangel4824

I everyone! I am new here (was lurking yesterday) and I am interested in giving this program a go come Monday. I am trying to plan some of my meals and and I am using recipes from this website :http://www.thefoodee.com/tag/whole30/page/2/

Now, when it calls for meats in the recipe (pot roast, pork bellies), can I only eat it if it is organic? I have seen organic steaks and chicken in my local grocery store, but no other meats.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I am also on a budget! I'm a little confused! Regular meats are ok? Aren't some regular or non-grass fed cows fattened up with grains? Please help me to understand how this is acceptable if grains are out! Also... Can I eat the nitrate free bacons from Fresh and Easy and Whole Foods during my W30?

Hi Maya!

Conventionally raised meats ("regular") are perfectly fine during your Whole30. Even though the animals may eat the grains, none of the problematic properties of the grains (for example, gluten) actually transfer to the animal's muscles (meat). We want you to get the highest quality meat your budget will afford, but it's not always possible to make organic and grass-fed work on a tight budget.

As far as those bacon brands are concerned: You'll have to read the ingredients labels to make sure there is no added sugar (most cured meats include some form or another). Nitrates are not excluded on the program.

Maya, there is a very cool thing that Melissa Hartwig wrote about bacon. It's called The Bacon Manifesto. It totally helped me rein in my consumption of bacon. I now use it as a condiment and have one slice with my eggs occasionally. I love putting a little in stews and salads. I would marry bacon if I could so for me to say that is huge. I am not sure where the manifestos are posted but they are all great. If you Google Bacon Manifesto Whole 9, it will bring it up. :)

Archived