Final clarification Artificial Flavors

Queenbeejo

Hello. 

I've read the forum and saw old posts that say no, newer ones that say "Natural and artificial flavours are not ruled out during your Whole30. It's up to you if you want to include them or not. If you google how artificial flavours are made, you may wish to avoid them. But it's not a rule."  

And then we have a message from Melissa saying NO! What is the FINAL VERDICT!!

Thank you

artifical flavors.jpg

• Moderators

What is the date from this screen shot and what platform is it on because that's not her username.

Natural and artificial flavors are fine for the Whole30.  It IS true that some people will google, find out how these are made and then choose not to consume them but for the official purpose of Whole30, they are okay.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

What is the date from this screen shot and what platform is it on because that's not her username.

Natural and artificial flavors are fine for the Whole30.  It IS true that some people will google, find out how these are made and then choose not to consume them but for the official purpose of Whole30, they are okay.

I am the one that posted that screenshot originally. It is from a DM on Instagram that one of our FB group members had with Melissa regarding artificial flavors and is from January 2018. 

As you can see, when asked if artificial flavors are allowed on Whole30, Melissa said simply "Nope."

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

if Melissa has reversed her decision on artificial flavors, can you direct us to a link on the Forum or on Instagram or an article where it states that artificial flavors are allowed now please?

• Administrators

Hey ya'll - Shannon from Whole30 HQ here! Wow, this is an oldie screenshot!

To be clear - artificial flavors have not now nor have they ever been off limits during Whole30. Would we encourage you to find something without them? Sure, if you want. But natural and artificial flavors are fine.

And before you point to the screenshot from Melissa - I've confirmed with the Whole30 team and her response was incorrect. Maybe a brain-fart, maybe she was in a hurry, maybe she didn't clearly read what you were asking before responding. But rest assured, the answer "nope" to the question about compatibility for artificial flavors is incorrect.

@simmie @Queenbeejo @SugarcubeOD

5 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hey ya'll - Shannon from Whole30 HQ here! Wow, this is an oldie screenshot!

To be clear - artificial flavors have not now nor have they ever been off limits during Whole30. Would we encourage you to find something without them? Sure, if you want. But natural and artificial flavors are fine.

And before you point to the screenshot from Melissa - I've confirmed with the Whole30 team and her response was incorrect. Maybe a brain-fart, maybe she was in a hurry, maybe she didn't clearly read what you were asking before responding. But rest assured, the answer "nope" to the question about compatibility for artificial flavors is incorrect.

@simmie @Queenbeejo @SugarcubeOD

Thanks for your reply. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you're saying Melissa was wrong but will take that at face value LOL

• Administrators
Just now, simmie said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you're saying Melissa was wrong but will take that at face value LOL

Haha, well she is just a human person who makes errors just like the rest of us! Trust - we are not trying to lead anyone down the garden path. ;) 

54 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Haha, well she is just a human person who makes errors just like the rest of us! Trust - we are not trying to lead anyone down the garden path. ;) 

LOL Oh I know that, and you are one of the forum moderators that I implicitly trust with correct information so I do appreciate your input on all the posts that you participate in on the Forum.

• 4 weeks later...

But she has a point right? Like she really seemed to know what she’s talking about with the question, “who knows what’s in that stuff?”  Like the spirit of the whole thirty is pretty strict and not messing around with stuff you don’t know.  This seems super weird to me. 

• Moderators
On 2/5/2021 at 4:35 PM, Tiara1234 said:

But she has a point right? Like she really seemed to know what she’s talking about with the question, “who knows what’s in that stuff?”  Like the spirit of the whole thirty is pretty strict and not messing around with stuff you don’t know.  This seems super weird to me. 

For the purpose of Whole30, it's fine.  Many people choose not to eat natural and artificial flavors due to how they're made and what they may contain even through their Whole30. I personally choose not to ever eat artificial flavors.  But they are not gut disruptors like the other items that are called out in the program and they do not contain sugar so they're compatible with the program, should you choose to include them.  

Archived