Flu and Whole30

megs719

So it seems as though I have developed a cold and I am concerned that it might actually be the flu. I am on Day 15 of the Whole30 and I am nervous about how I am going to be able to stay strong on the Whole30 while feeling so terrible. For example, I know that my doctor will recommend adding honey to my tea, as I have a cough. Any ideas from those who have been through this or are currently going through it? Plain chicken broth as opposed to chicken noodle soup? Not much of an appetite.

Thanks!!

Can you get some anti virals from a local herbalist? I spoke with my herbalist yesterday with concerns of "what if I get the flu" and she suggested that. She has a website where you can order some, would take a few days to ship but if you have someone local, thats what I would do. Here is a link to My herbalists product, http://www.herbsbybonnie.com/Simply-Bee-Natural-Virus-Away-G517-Virus-Away.htm you can order from her or call and ask her, or ask your own herbalist about that.

• Moderators

I find herbal tea without added sweetener good for me. Eating chicken broth without the noodles is a good idea too.

Being sick makes eating a big challenge. I continue eating Whole30-compliant through illness, but I have years of experience and lots of food ideas that work for me. I am not sure how hard I would fight to remain on plan if I got sick during my first Whole30. The main thing is to be gentle with yourself and keep some calories coming in.

I was just ill for the first time on a W30 last week, during week one for me. I stayed on track no matter what, knowing that my body required that to heal my gut and my cold. I trusted that my body knew what to heal in which order and that it would all even out. I think broth and stuff like applesauce really helped me. Of course, my cold was mild. I'm to the point now, however, that I can't think of "normal" sick foods like saltines and ginger ale as harmless foods.
<_<

This is my first Whole30 and I got the stomach bug my kids got. I put on a crockpot of chicken bones, a pan of homemade applesauce, and baked sweet potatoes. Yes there were a couple of meals outside the meal template, but everything I ate was plan compliant. Whenever I felt up to it I had scrambled eggs. I couldn't stomach veggies. Shudder. But I swear the sweet potatoes were like a refeed after being up all night sick. As soon as I could stomach it I added veggies back in and hopped back on track. It felt amazing to feel in control even when sick. I got better faster than EVER and the recovery time after was great. I felt back to normal faster than I ever have.

There was just an article on buzzfeed on homemade cold and flu remedies. Here are some of the whole30 compliant ones (omit honey/stevia if called for)

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar Elixer

Sage Tea - add hot water to 2tbsp fresh or 1 tbsp dried sage, squeeze lemon

Moxie's Cure-All

Sriracha Cold Remedy - mix (compliant) Sriracha (or hot sauce), lemon, ginger, and hot water

Tumeric Milk with Ginger and Cardamom - use coconut milk

Ginger Tea - steep fresh ginger slices in hot water

I'd also be curious to try freezing some of these into popsicles for sore throats, as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I got some bug about week 3. I stuck with compliant foods, but did mini meals since I didn't feel like eating. For instance, instead of two eggs, I would have one with fewer veggies, whichever ones I felt like I could handle. I got through it and the energy came back.

Archived