Scared to find food - cliff jump imminent (Day 14)

I don't think I ate enough this morning, first off. Just a couple of hb eggs and some coconut because I was flying out the door. Then I ate my lunch at 11:00 because I was ravenous (pile of greens, 1/2 avocado, hb egg, can of tuna in olive oil). I know I need to eat more, but my cravings are so outrageous that I'm terrified that I'm going to walk into Safeway and just dive off the W30 cliff into a pile of junk food.

I'm going to take a deep breath and come up with a good list of snacks (almonds, carrots, maybe a kombucha treat) to get so I'll make it to dinner.

What do you do when you realize that you didn't anticipate today's hunger and are now stuck in a food-less jam (mmm, jam ... d'oh!) surrounded by temptation?

• Moderators

Eat a can of sardines. Or if you don't like sardines, eat another can of tuna in olive oil. Focus on protein and fat when you are snacking or fighting cravings. But better yet, go to four meals per day for a while so that the gap between lunch and supper is smaller. Have an early supper and a late supper that includes, you guessed it, protein, fat, and veggies.

Go to a grocery store, head straight for the produce, buy an avocado and leave. Then eat it. All that lovely fat will kill all cravings!

But, more seriously, if you are at a grocery store, stay to the perimeter only if you are hungry. Produce, meat and dairy (I don't know anyone who would dive into a container of milk because of a craving) so you should be fairly safe from temptation.

We've started making our own jerky in the oven, to have another snack option. I do think grabbing something that can be eaten immediately, then going back into the store for "real" shopping might be a good idea.

Whenever I miss a meal, I'm a mess all day, even if I just don't eat enough at a meal -- I feel like it takes FOREVER to "catch up." But, fat usually helps a lot.

Thanks for the feedback! I drank a huge glass of water before heading to the store, and the walk cleared my head, too. I grabbed an avocado, a thing of raw almonds to stash in my desk for future "emergencies", and a kombucha ('cause it's Friday!). I didn't read the thread until I was back, but next week I'm bringing a few cans of tuna for the desk stash as well.

Side note: whyyyy do they put the nuts next to the candy? That's just plain mean.

• 1 month later...

I like to snack on a piece of fruit and some nuts. Today I had half a mango and some cashews. I know walnuts are limited bc of the high calorie content. Hard nuts can also be an issue for people with sensitive gums (gingivitis) or allergies.

Hi Night Bear, just to clarify, walnuts are on the limited list because they're higher in PUFAs than some other nuts - the calorie count doesn't come into it. Calories are not counted on a W30.

The book does say that if you haven't eaten enough ata ameal and have to snack then " Make sure your snacks are just smaller meals and include both protein and fat - don't snack on veggies or fruit alone as they're not very satiating all by themselves"

Archived