A lesson in reading labels - fish oil

GLC1968

I am 3 days away from the end of my second Whole30 and this morning, I discovered that I haven't really done either one. :wacko:

My fish oil gel caps (I take three each morning) are not compliant! The ingredients don't list it but at the bottom of the label it says: "Contains: fish (mackerel and sardine) and soy". SOY?!? I've got maybe 15 caps left out of a bottle of 400, so clearly I've been using these for awhile. I'm not great at taking them every day except during a Whole30 (go figure), so I've used the same bottle both times...and now neither Whole30 were truly compliant.

I'd be more upset if I wasn't planning on another 100 days on track anyway, but it is still discouraging.

Lesson to all - READ NOT ONLY ALL LABELS, BUT EVERYTHING ON THOSE LABELS (not just the nutrition facts and the ingredients).

For other folks, what's the brand?

If the soy is just in the coating, it may be too small to make a difference. Have you been feeling better?

The manufacturer may be able to provide you some more details on the soy content. Some pharamcists/chemists can do this too, depending on the brand.

Yes, both Whole30's have been a HUGE success for me, so I really can't complain too loudly. Maybe if I stop taking these, I'll feel even better?! (truly hard to imagine)

I will say that I have always had a sensitivity to soy (prior to paleo or Whole30) so it must be a super small amount or I'd probably notice it.

They are Costco brand, I believe. I'll check for sure when I get home.

Costco might be able to tell you if it's the coating or the inside. They could use soybean oil for the inside filler, but I don't know if that's common in gelcaps. My local chemist has been able to help with identifying no nos and volumes of them in medications, so I can make better choices.

Oh wow... one of my bottles of fish oil is the same! Grr! Thank goodness I probably only took capsules from that specific brand a few times, and not in the past week or so. Thanks for this post, although I was struck with fear upon reading it (with good reason), as I'd meticulously read all the labels on my supplements... except that one. And lo and behold--soy. :(

...Sigh. At any rate, it seems (like you said) that it's probably a very small amount. I'm not going to let this bring me down like I did in my first Whole30 attempt (which was ultimately a Whole7, derailed by wheat in my B-complex supplement!), and I'll carry on. Things have been great, and I'll just maintain this soy-free effort for even longer.

I almost ran into the same issue with some Vitamin D capsules that I purchased at Target last week. They were promptly returned after I saw veggie oil AND dextrose in the ingredients list. I was able to find some at Sprouts that had EVOO and other non-impact ingredients instead. Crazy to think that even a simple supplement could be a source of bad stuff in your diet.

Ok, update: The brand is actually Kirkland Signature (Costco's private label) and they were the enteric coated ones.

I shopped Walgreens last night because we had to stop there anyway and found a few versions that were compliant. I actually headed for the enteric ones first since I'm kind of programmed that way (enteric coating helps prevent 'fishy burps') and every one of them contained soy. I'm thinking it must be used in the coating because a majority of the not enteric coated versions were compliant.

So this morning I took non-soy fish oil and while I obviously don't feel any different (at least not yet), I do feel a little more righteous in my choices once again! :P

I went through all my supplements before starting and had to ditch most of them. Vitamin D was one thing I knew I needed to keep taking (doctor's orders) but I quickly found one without say at a local (only 30 miles away!) health food store. Don't seem to be missing the rest of them at all.

Archived