2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 tsp crushed fennel seeds

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp chilli powder

500ml/17 fl oz passata

1 tsp ground turmeric

2 tbsp medium curry powder

Salt and pepper

Put the mince in a bowl with the ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, cinnamon and chilli powder. Season with salt and pepper. Using your hands mix thoroughly until well combined. Form into small walnut-sized balls and set aside.

Pour the passata into the slow cooker and add the turmeric & curry powder. Carefully place the meatballs in the sauce in a single layer. Cover with the lid and cook for 4-6 hours or until the sauce is thick and the meatballs are cooked through.

4869ec9c697211e2b9c422000a1f968f_6.jpg

Copied from thekitchn.com

http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-tomato-passata-and-how-156321

2011_09_18-passata1.jpgIn many of the British cooking programs I follow and British cookbooks I use, I've often run across an ingredient that is unfamiliar to me. It's called passata (or tomato passata) and it appears to be a liquid tomato puree that comes in tall, carafe-like glass jars. But what is it exactly and why would I use it instead of tomato sauce or tomato paste?

I did a little investigating and this is what I've discovered.

It seems as if passata is an uncooked tomato puree that has been strained of seeds and skins. It originated in Italy but is used throughout Europe. Some passatas are chunkier and some are smoother, depending on the brand. Some people claim that passata can also be cooked, but most agree that it is uncooked. You will also see it spelled passato and passata di pomodoro.

How is passata different from tomato sauce or tomato paste? Well, both the sauce and paste are cooked tomato products to begin with. Tomato sauce often has other ingredients such as carrots, onions, garlic, etc. And tomato paste is cooked down and much thicker. You would not want to substitute either product if passata is called for in your recipe. If you cannot find it in your store, take plain canned tomatoes and run them through a sieve or a food mill. While most passatas are just plain tomatoes, some are sold with additions, such as basil, so read your label carefully if this is an issue.

Tomato passata can be used in any recipe that calls for tomatoes where it is not important that there be pieces of tomato. You could make a tomato sauce from passato, for example. Or tomato soup. I've seen it added to white beans to make a stew. Indeed, it is a great product for meat-based stews as well.

2011_09_19-pomi.jpgPasata is rarely used in the United States but I have found it in several grocery stores in the Bay Area, usually on the very bottom shelf in the canned tomato product section. I have also seen a version of it in an aseptic box put out by Pomi (see photo, left.) In general, passata is considered to be a superior product to canned tomatoes, using higher quality tomatoes and processing methods.

Copied from thekitchn.com

http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-tomato-passata-and-how-156321

I made this yesterday and it was great!

I made really small little kofta balls (I managed to get 45 of them out of a lb of ground beef) as I thought it might appeal to my children if they looked kind of fun-sized! It was too spicy for them but hubby and I devoured ours. It has given me the idea to try my other meatball recipe (Italian style lamb ones) in the slow cooker as the kofta ones turned out so juicy and tasty in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived