How much fruit?

Amanda Colf

• Moderators

The meal template recommends an "occasional" serving of fruit. That should probably be less than 1 serving per day. The idea is for you to eat way more vegetables than you do fruit. Ideally, I would say 3 or 4 servings per week, unless you have a sugar dragon. If you struggle with sugar cravings, no fruit is your best choice. Feeding a dragon fruit tends to keep it strong.

Starving my sugar dragon was high on my list of W30 priorities and I rarely consumed fruit last month. I do think it has made it easier for me to face and pass on sweet treats now that I'm in the reintroduction period. When I did have fruit it was a small serving of berries or sliced apples mixed in with shredded cabbage salad. I avoided really sweet ones like bananas, mangos and didn't touch dried fruit. Dried fruit is a food with no brakes for me for sure!

The meal template recommends an "occasional" serving of fruit. That should probably be less than 1 serving per day. The idea is for you to eat way more vegetables than you do fruit. Ideally, I would say 3 or 4 servings per week, unless you have a sugar dragon. If you struggle with sugar cravings, no fruit is your best choice. Feeding a dragon fruit tends to keep it strong.

Wow! I didn't know that... here I thought I was doing really good just having it for breakfast!

1-2 servings per day is reasonable for most folks. If you've got major insulin resistance issues, have a lot of weight to lose, or a serious sugar dragon, you may choose to restrict further. Like Tom said above, never let it push a veggie off of your plate, but remember fruit is food too!

• Moderators

I ate fruit at breakfast when I was a Whole30 newbie. I thought Melissa and Dallas were strangely reluctant to embrace fruit as good food back then. They never said bad things about fruit, but they kept recommending veggies instead. Once they edited a recipe I created and changed my reference to eating an orange to eating a few mandarin orange sections and I wondered, "Who eats a few mandarin orange sections? I eat the whole can if I open it!" Funny thing is, now that I have almost 3 years of Whole30 eating under my belt, I am strangely reluctant to embrace fruit as good food and keep recommending veggies instead... :)

I am a diabetic, so I keep fruit to a minimum and limit which fruits I do eat. I pretty much limit myself to berries and the occasional bit of apple and I keep the fruits I do eat to meals, never snacks. So, berries sprinkled in my salads or chunks of apples in a chicken salad.

Thanks Robin and Tom for the additional info. Although I haven't been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I will be if I don't watch my blood sugar. I'll stick with my one serving of fruit for breakfast... doesn't see to awaken my sugar dragon... I have more of a salty snack dragon. :D

Archived