Anyone eat no fruits & nuts in Life after W30?

Xandra

I've been following W30 eating for most of the last 4 months. Occasional breaks, but got right back on plan as far as ingredients.

My problem is fruit & nuts. I eat them in all the wrong ways: snacks, comfort food, after the kids go to bed, eat way too many of them. So they are compliant ingredients but obviously noncompliant with the program. I don't seem to be able to find a way to eat them in moderation, and I'm thinking of cutting them out entirely for a few weeks (for Lent, to be exact).

So I want to know if there is anyone here who eats no fruit & nuts as part of their Life after W30? Basically, cutting back to meat & vegetables, and that's it.

And how else can I break these unhealthy eating patterns?

• Moderators

I go for weeks at a time with no fruit, sometimes months. I don't eat nuts as a snack, but I do add one handful at a time to various things like baked sweet potatoes, stir-fries of ground meat and greens, etc.

Even though I have been eating like this for almost 3 years, I don't do well eating nuts as a snack. It is too easy to eat and eat and eat. But I do fine adding them to recipes as an ingredient.

I rarely buy fruit anymore. The last time I did was oranges and I would eat one as "dessert" at the end of lunch or supper.

When I first began eating this way, I ate lots more fruit because it was so convenient. Now that I am experienced as a cook, I don't need fruit like I thought I did in the beginning. And I don't spend lots of time cooking. I am much faster than I was and know how to make a good meal from scratch in 15 minutes.

I don't eat nuts as a snack either, but I love them with apples on salad:)

If you don't want to eat fruit and nuts, don't eat them. If you enjoy them but are afraid of the "no breaks" aspect of them, don't have them as snacks, try eating them with meals. Good luck!

I echo what Flynn and Tom said. I don't eat nuts as a snack, I only really use almonds to make sunshine sauce now. BUT, I used to eat almonds and macadamia nuts way too much. I only stopped when I went cold turkey for about two months to break my habit. I didn't keep any in the house, and stayed away from those snack bags at the mini grocery stand outside my work. Going cold turkey, at least for a couple of months, might be something worth trying.

I am in the Tom and others camp. I really don't eat fruit at home at all. I do eat it at my mom's in San Diego because she has beautiful organic fruit trees. Her figs, mangos and clemintines are very special. As for nuts, I voted them off my island long ago. They are food with no brakes for me.

I don't eat much in the way of fruit or nuts, on or off Whole30. Almond meal is about the only nut product I use. This is because I don't particularly enjoy either of them. But, the way I see them is a really handy emergency food. Something to grab on the go if I'm desperate.

Can you reframe your thinking along the lines of: These aren't snack foods, they're ingredients for a meal or an emergency go to?

The main thing for fruit for me is that it can be so easy to get a sour or floury or soggy or bruised piece. If you could focus on thst possibility before snacking, make it a really big and gross possibility, maybe you won't be so inclined?

Archived